Scanner Reports 3-13-19
By Roger the Scanner Guy
I was watching a video on YouTube earlier about this huge encampment in Silicon Valley that was being torn down. The city was giving the occupants there housing and or vouchers, the vouchers were not nearly enough to cover the rent but at least it was something, some kind of help. It's hard to remember that there are Homeless people all over the place, not just here. This Homeless encampment in Silicon Valley was huge, like 300 campsites between the Freeway and a neighborhood, in the brush. It was well covered. What made it noticeable were the piles of junk and trash, huge piles in the camp. It would be one thing if the camps were clean and neat, the trash was picked up and taken to the dump, but then again maybe by trashing areas, there is more of a chance some of the people will get what they want which is a place to live. If I was a landlord and I saw a big mess like that, I would not want to rent to anyone from the camp though having the compassion I have, I would with the understanding they keep their outside areas neat and clean as I would other residents. Of course, that is never going to happen I'm poor Ha, ha,ha. I'm more likely to end up in a camp like that then I am to be a landlord.
I'm noticing our Spring is Sprung with Growth and within a lot of the brush are going to be hidden camps. I used to love these vegetated areas with a lot of brush, they were great places for me in the day pounding the alcohol in. I'd go to Von's downtown but an 18 pack, a few canned cocktails and head over the Lawn Bowling. I'd sit in the bushes there get Drunk as a Skunk watch Law Bowling, crawl out later and head over to the Sportsman for a few more drinks...THOSE WERE THE DAYS. Believe it or SNOT though I always cleaned up after myself. I'm looking out the window now at this growth of green trees and bushes knowing that it's going to happen, there will be many places not noticed maybe even in our own back yards where Folks will camp. I found 3 Guys and a Warming Fire in our yard once. I hated to ask them to leave cause they were my drinking buddies but Off they Went. Have to Follow the Rules we all do. Different cities have different solutions to help the homeless get off the streets. I like that city I think it's in New Mexico that hires Homeless Folks to clean up areas of the City alot of them get off the street. The Solutions are there I wonder if Santa Barbara will ever use any of them because what we have now is not working so well. The idea of the shelters start out OK they all turn into recovery programs which is OK for them they probably get more grants that way but it doesn't do much for their original intention of Curing Homelessness. Everyone knows that was never going to happen. I remember that being said all those years ago before the Cacique Street Shelter opened and thinking that Homelessness would never be cured what would happen is what has happened homelessness would become a new way for people to make $$$ and those people would not be homeless. Homelessness is not an illness for many it's a way of life.....Homeless and Homeless Inc alike. Here are your Scanner Reports.
Scanner Reports, Monday:
- Med Call Fall victim from a wheelchair 331 West Montecito by 7-11.
- Suspicious subjects at San Pascual and Canon Perdido reporting party concerned they might be getting ready to commit Vandalism, graffiti.
- Illegal camper on 2nd floor terrace blocking elevator 1700 Block of State street.
- Premise check Anapamu Foot Bridge.
- Vandalism investigation Cacique UNDERPANTS.
- Premise check Ortega Park.
- 242 Assault of a bus driver 217 East Guiterrez by a male with a female with a baby suspect either BMA or HMA, everyone left the area.
- Thought to be a 415 Domestic a female running from a male through Amtrak on MONday turned out to be a theft the female ripped off something from the male and ran away unknown if she was ever caught lest I heard he was in the 200 Block of West Yanonali.
- Found property on a patient at Cottage Hospital, a full magazine, doesn't sound like Sports Illustrated to me.
- Med call Overdose in the bathroom of the Public Library 40 East Anapamu, (Yep according to one reader nothing like that ever happens in there) the last time I went in there I never did again.
- Vandalism investigation SBHS.-
- Non injury accident Air Bags Deployed. Vehicle into a parked car.
- 415 Transient disturbing and possibly stalking a female employee McDonalds 1213 State street
- Non injury traffic accident with alot of debris in the roadway Olive at Cota streets.
- Check the Welfare of an overdue female who had a fight with her boyFIEND who took her vehicle in the 2500 Block of DLV...Find a nicer Man Friend.
- Premises checks Quarantina and Cacique UNDERPANTS.
- 415 At the Creekside in the 4400 Block of Hollister.
- Possible 11-7 Hot Prowl possibly in the home resident home alone heard a door shut inside the home 5900 Block of Somerset.
- 273.5 Domestic Violence investigation Cottage Hospital ER.
- Transient yelling with his belongings on the sidewalk State street and Cota.
- Illegal campers in a fenced in construction area in the 700 Block of State street only accessible through The Press Rooms parking lot.
- Arm and Hand injury at Subway in the 1000 Block of State street.
Scanner Reports, Tuesday:
- There was a report of a vehicle fire in the Cottage Hospital Parking structure but it was a vehicle with radiator problems no fire 402 West Pueblo 1st level.
- Check the Welfare of a female subject in the 600 Block of West Canon Perdido.
- Suspicious subject left a vehicle in the 300 Block of West Carrillo and told someone it wasn't his vehicle a white Honda police were checking to see if it was stolen. Subject that left the vehicle WMA black backpack with a small dog.
- Shoplifting CVS 3900 Block of State street.
- Suspicious Circumstances investigation 1300 Block of Chapala would not say what they were.
- Minor injury traffic accident at Santa Cruz Market 324 West Montecito.
- Premises check East Side Park 200 Block of North Soledad.
- Child Found alone 5 year old female possibly injured no adults around 100 Block of Pacific Dunes.
- Med Call 4000 Block of State street Subject passed away Rest in Peace.
- Heroin Overdose First Block of Chapala.
- Suspicious Subject walked to the back of a property leaving a suitcase on the curb 100 Block of West Micheltorena, HMA wearing a black backpack.
- Check the Welfare of a Dog in a vehicle at Trader Joes in the 5700 Block of Calle Real.
- Vehicle over an embankment possible injuries 4100 Block of Harris Grade.
- 100 Block of East Foster 314pc Subject urinating in the street at the bus stop HMA code 40.
- Check the Welfare of a male subject in a wheelchair at 535 East Yanonali near the Rescue Mission.
- Check the Welfare of a blind Full Amputee male in a wheelchair at Dollar Tree in the 3500 Block of Orcutt Road who was cleaning and dressing himself in the bathroom.
- Suicidal female Community College SBCC 700 Block of Cliff Drive Anxiety Depression feeling suicidal.
- Illegal Campers in RV's in the 1700 Block of Castillo.
- 242 Assault in the 700 Block of State at Blenders in the Grass 13 year old girl, hit by another girl.
- Theft investigation 900 Block of East Cota
I was trying to hear a call but only heard the last part..." A K-9 smoking marijuana." I always knew those Dogs were cool...That is it outta me for now Have a great WEDnesday...Peter, Belinda, Angel Baby, Pooh Bear, Tom Cat, Clancy, Tiger, Thomicina, Shadow, FREDDIE! Midnight, Merlin, Maxwell, Lola, PoPo, Tiny, Andy, Fish Head One, and Two, Poncho, Jerry, Walter, Fred, Jonathan, C.J., Brad, Billy, Carl, Stan, Kent, ELMO, Patrick, Christy, Diana, Jim, Rambo, Sherry, Bommy, Poppy, June, Muskie, David Cox, Po, Marty, Cop John, Eddie, Bambi, Mavis, Pat, Bengie, Ricky, Lafayette, Ted, Willie, Magruder, Don, Edwin, Cory, Debbie, Ken, Isabelle, Jerry, LUCY! STOBE THE HOBO, John Hancock, Mickey Mantle, Ernie Banks, Ron Santo, Tom Petty, and Chris Willing we will pee you on FRYday. Later, Roger
Mar 13, 2019 08:29 AM
"Homelessness is not an illness for many it's a way of life.....Homeless and Homeless Inc alike. "
I agree with you 100% Thank you for your post.
Mar 13, 2019 08:37 AM
There's a drug abuse crisis in our whole country, not just Santa Barbara. I've been looking at Youtube videos of people who have land, and "campers" they call tweakers all over. Even Illinois farmers are having these problems on their farms, and are fearful for their own safety. If housing is supplied for people hooked on heroin (prescription opiods), cocaine, meth, fentanyl, are we providing a soft landing for them. Will they ever hit "rock bottom" and try to get clean because it's too hard to stay high.
I'm glad I don't have to know the answer. Our problem in S.B. is when they start fires to cook drugs, they can kill the rest of us with a one-time wildfire.
Mar 13, 2019 05:29 PM
There are ill people that are homeless and not there by choice and others who are not homeless by choice but in my opinion Homelessness is not an illness.
Mar 14, 2019 10:37 AM
Anyone with a pet who takes that animal to any Trader Joe's parking lot and leaves it in the vehicle is a fool. Under new laws it is highly likely that some do good animal nut will break the window to relieve the poor pet of presumed distress despite no facts to support that idea.