Scanner Reports 11-18-19
By Roger the Scanner Guy
One time I was hitching back from New York State it was in the late 70's sometime probably 1976 or so. I was somewhere in Ohio this guy picked me up in an old Ford Falcon it's was colder than a Well Diggers Ass in that car going down the highway no heater in that old shit banger. The guy stopped off at some Truck Stop went in got us two large hot chocolates, it was scalding hot but went down good and warm. All he had to keep us warm in that car was 2 pairs of work gloves, a cigar, and the hot chocolate. There we were going down that long cold Highway wearing the gloves, puffing on the cigars, and sipping hot chocolate bitter cold well below zero outside with a colder wind chill. I never got the guys name but I got the memory and it's a good warm memory. One guy helping out a runaway kid and I thought about him when I read that the public defenders office was going to collect warm clothing to give to those experiencing homelessness this season. Very nice thing to do. I was planning on giving things away on a much smaller scale. I usually just put clothing out on the wall in front and people pick it up. I want to make sure the things I have now get to a couple homeless Folks. Every year I like to buy a Flannel shirt jacket nice and big in my size to keep me warm. This year I got 2, one for me the other for someone who is homeless and needs it ,gotta be a big guy it's 5 XL. Or it can be a sleeping bag I guess. I got some sweatshirts too they are 2XL I'll find someone around here to give them to. I had a sleeping bag real nice Coleman I gave to a homeless guy last year sometime. I was just thinking the other day how it sucks not having warm gloves when you wake up outside and your hands are all cold. I found a package in the mail from Shorebird she knitted me a nice pair of Hand Warmers my favorite color too Dodger Blue. The one thing I always like to put out there when it's starting to get cold if your outside camping always have a piece of cardboard to sleep on between you and the hard ground. Through the years I have heard of a few folks that died overnight without a piece of cardboard between them and the ground....I think me, Joey, and Fish Head 3 have enough to keep us warm this Winter I got lots of warm stuff to wear, and blankets, a space heater, Joey has fur, and Fish Head 3 a small heated aquarium all we need is hot chocolate and cigars....HERE IS YOUR SCANNER REPORTS
Scanner Reports, Friday:
- FST's first thing in the morning unknown location but driver heading to jail.
- Medical call 2600 Block of State street.
- 242pc Assault investigation female jumped 1300 Block of Punta Gorda.
- Smoke investigation near Cathedral Oaks, Patterson, highway 154 areas no Fire smoke was thought to be construction work being done.
- Possible 23152 Drunk Driver First Block of South Voluntario.
- 20002 Non injury hit and run Milpas at Carpinteria.
- Subject wearing black clothing hit a car at El Escorial not sure if it's vandlism or what.
- Medical call 300 Block of Burton Mesa fall victim.
- Med call 200 Block of West Yanonali.
- Suspicious circumstances 2 Males carrying an unconscious female into a hotel room 3900 Block of State street
- Structure Fire 6500 Block of Picasso.
- Female threatened in her vehicle Carillo at Castillo.
- Check the Welfare of a subject on the ground wrapped in a blanket Los Positas at Mcaw.
- Medical call at the DMV 535 Castillo for back pain.
- Medical call 423 Chapala the Salvation Army.
- Medical call 915 North Milpas East Side neighborhood clinic.
- Check the welfare of a male in his 50's with a leg wound that declined help from the reporting party in the 300 Block of East Valerio.
- DUI Driver in the parking lot of Chic Fil A In the 3700 Block of State street.
- Woman screaming, "Get off of me!" near the Baseball field McKenzie Park 3000 Block of Los Positas Road.
- Medical call at the church 305 East Anapamu.
- 415 Domestic 200 Block of Alamar.
- 600 Block of East Micheltorena Loud Music.
- 1100 Block of East Clark non injury hit and run.
- 100 Block of South Alisos suspicious item.
- I.D. Check Coastal Dispensary in the 1000 Block of Chapala.
- Suspicious subjects with duffle bags climbing over the fence in the city yards 630 Garden they turned out to be city workers.
- Smoke investigation 2500 Block of Selrose, no fire I heard of.
- Med call 100 Block of South Canada.
- Vehicle on it's side Highway 1 at Highway 135
- 300 Block of West Alamar Medical call.
- Loud banging noises heard from the playground at Washington School 290 Lighthouse, nothing found.
- 415 Fight front of Rite Aide 35 South Milpas 2 Subjects.
Scanner Reports, Saturday:
- Wanted subject 1100 Block of East Montecito
- Suspicious subject Santa Barbara street and Canon Perdido panhandling with an open container.
- Unknown type 415pc 400 Block of West Ortega.
- 1100 Block of DLV Medical call.
- 700 Block of Reddick Street male in a vehicle says several subjects tried to break into his vehicle with him in it, no one seen possible 5150pc.
- Check the Welfare of a dog tied to a post with no one around 800 Block of East DLG.-
- Male and 2 Females yelling profanities 415 Domestic 1000 Block of Olive Dysfunctional 3's Company.
- Medical call 600 Block of West Juinipero.
- Oversized vehicle parked on Maricopa.
- Medical Aide 3100 Block of State street.
- Violation of a restraining order 600 Block of East Ortega.
- 415 Male yelling in the Hallways of Alta Lucero 3880 Via Lucero relative of a patient 30's HMA.
- 415pc at PATH 816 Cacique.
- Weirdo poked his head in an open window at a residence in the 1500 Block of San Pasqual then continued walking South on San Pasqual.
- Medical call 1114 State street.
- Fire alarms, no Fire 400 Block of East Cota.
- Suspicious subject 700 Block of Olive street.
- 602pc Trespasser 1100 Block of State street WMA 40's wearing military boots, shorts, Khaki hoodie has an open wound on his leg.
- Bone Head in a Flatbed Truck heading South on State street throwing items into passing vehicles. Southbound.
- 5150pc Subject throwing fruit Alamar and Foothill WMA in his 40's.
- Elevator Rescue at Ralphs 100 Block of West Carrillo.
- Premises check Library 40 East Anapamu someone pushing the Emergency button on the elevator at the Library.
- Possible 242pc Assault suspect in the Drum Circle in the 300 Block of East Carrillo.
- Sexual Assault report at the Police Station.
- 10851 Stolen vehicle 800 Block of Santa Barbara street keys left inside 2005 4-Runner 5RJU???.
- 459pc Burglary Apartment in the 2900 Block of DLV.
Scanner Reports, Sunday:
- 415 Domestic First thing in the Morning at McDonalds 29 North Milpas male attempted to 242pc Assault female.
- Vehicle over the side 3222 Toro Park Road I don't think anyone was near it or in it.
- Medical call in Goleta where the patient was deceased rest in peace.
- Med call 300 Block of West Valerio.
- Medical call 3300 Block of Campanil.
- Grey Mercedes stolen keys were locked in it 1300 Block of East Cabrillo grey 2015 Cell phone was in it too.
- Medical call 3050 Los Positas Road McKenzie Park.
- Female fall victim possible head injury possible UI N1600 Block of East Valley Road, Gone on Arrival, or not there.
- Fall from a horse in the area of Highway 101 at Highway one.
- Illegal Dumping West Camino Cielo Trailhead.
- Medical call 3200 Block of Foothill
- Burglary investigation 100 Block of West DLG
- 415 Domestic male beating up a female inside of a brown Silverado 800 Block of Chapala, they were found in the 800 Block of DLV and the male was detained in cuffs not sure if he was arrested.
- Premises check Oak Park.
- 4000 Block of Constallation vehicle into a parked car.
- A bunch of Folks chasing a loose dog Yanonali at State street North Bound they caught him but did not say where.
- 415pc Subjects with a Bull Horn in the 1400 Block of Santa Barbara street.
- Sexual Battery Report City Santa Barbara
- Loud Music 100 Block of South Canada.
- Medical call 400 Block of Ruth Avenue.
- Stolen vehicle 2200 Block of Los Positas grey Toyota Tacoma roof rack.
Will that is all outta me for now Weird how it was freezing ass cold this morning now it's warm I don't like it this way makes me feel strange this Cold/Hot stuff either one or the other not both..Anyway Have a great MONday-MONday...Peter, Molly, Belinda, Midnight, Merlin, Angel Baby, Pooh Bear, Shadow, FREDDIE!,Maxwell, Tom Cat, Clancy, Tomicina, Tiger, Lola, PoPo, Tiny, Andy, Fish Heads One and Two, Poncho, Denny, Jerry, Zeke, Walter, Fred, Jonathan, C.J., Brad, Billy, Carl, Stan, Kent, ELMO, Patrick, Christy, Diana, Jim, Rambo, Sherry, Ross, David Cox, Po, Marty, Cop John, Bommy, Poppy, June, Muskie, Eddie, Bambi, Mark, Willie, Pat, Mavis, Lafayette, Ted, Bengie, Ricky, Mrs. MacArthur, Auntie Helen, Magruder, Don, Edwin, Cory, Crazy Ed, Isabelle, Jerry, Debbie, Ken, LUCY!, STOBE THE HOBO, KFC, John Hancock, Mickey Mantle, Ernie Banks, John Havlick, Ron Santo, Little Mac, Tom Petty, and Chris willing we will see you on WEDnesday. Later, Roger
Nov 18, 2019 09:44 AM
Ya, those elevators at Ralph's, on Chapala & Carrillo, are always having problems...... Time to get someone to really fix them right.
Nov 18, 2019 10:36 AM
I used to ride elevators all the time I have even rode elevators in really old buildings 10 plus floors the kind that are caged and shake like hell you think the cable is going to break scary. Since I started writing the S,R. I'm scared of elevators don't like riding them at all..lol
Nov 18, 2019 11:06 AM
Roger, if it makes you feel any better, the smaller elevators, like the ones at Ralphs and Macy's, don't have cables. They use pneumatic lifts, which means there are no cables to snap and let the car plunge to the bottom. I'm not sure about the ones in the Granada and Balboa Buildings. Several years ago a lady and I got trapped in one of the Ralphs elevators, which just stopped running mid-floor. I called the store from my cell phone and only had to wait about 20 minutes before they got the lift running again. During the wait, I shared my sloppy joe recipe with the lady who was trapped with me. Fortunately, neither of us were claustrophobic and we both thought the situation was funny.
Nov 18, 2019 11:32 AM
It’s always fun to step into the elevator at Ralph’s and see who’s riding along with you. “Are these going to be my companions until we’re rescued?” I ask myself.
Nov 18, 2019 04:01 PM
That sounds like something a serial killer might say lol Are you going to be my companion till were rescued? heehee..I heard some weird stuff about guys who used to hitch 101 at State street therefore I never hitched there..In the better days hitching was fun and not as dangerous I don't think I ever let my guard totally down unless I really trusted someone and I was taking a chance then to..But that was the 70's...I heard stuff about Hawaii too..Thanks for the comments.
Nov 18, 2019 03:39 PM
Roger, In the 60s hitching was pretty normal. The stop lights on the highway were a perfect place to get rides. I picked up some on trips to San Francisco, for company. We always ended up having lots of fun. Sometimes we'd pick someone up, bring them home for a hot meal, and take them back to the highway. I hitched it in Hawaii and met groovy people. Good old hippie days of "love and peace". When I was little (many, many years ago) my grandma took me for a ride in the Granada elevator, just so I'd know what an elevator is. I think it was the only one in Santa Barbara.
Nov 20, 2019 12:28 AM
Wasn't there an elevator in the Courthouse then, too?
Nov 18, 2019 06:50 PM
Hi Roger, I’m going to drop off a shopping bag of new scarfs, hats, neck warmers and hand warmers to the Public Defenders Office later this week for distribution to the homeless. (I have a knitting addiction.)
Nov 18, 2019 08:14 PM
I'm sure they will love the donation Shorebird..:)
Nov 19, 2019 08:15 AM
Roger, Here's a suggestion for a title for your memoirs: "On the Road, Too" or perhaps "On the Road, Two", giving a nod to Jack Kerouac, tho' you're sober + he wasn't ;-}
Nov 19, 2019 09:16 AM
I was a nurse at PHF for 23 years + I loved to work on Christmas, seeing everyone enjoy the special food prepared by Vista del Monte + later, by Valle Verde. But the best memory is of seeing everyone in their various + colorful Christmas hats, gifts made + delivered by ---- Shorebird.
Nov 19, 2019 11:50 AM
A, Thanks for the shout out. One of the funnest thing for me was to see a former patient several months later on State Street still wearing one of my hats. -D
Nov 19, 2019 11:36 PM
As an afterthought: I've really never liked elevators and have always taken steps to avoid them.