Scanner Reports 1-11-19
By Roger the Scanner Guy
I recently went to Rite Aide and discovered that an old friend of mine was transferred there from another store, his name is John and he is a Supervisor. He has been with the store long before it was Rite Aide, when it was called Thrifty's it was on State Street in the 800 Block. I used to go in there almost every day and buy a soda and a pack of smokes. I never spoke to John personally except to say "How's it going?" He always said, "Good How are you?" Nowadays as he did then he still greets every customer with a smile and a greeting. No surprise that he is not only still with the company but in a supervisory position. John is one of the Folks that make Santa Barbara the great place it is.
The other day I mentioned the Old Days when he worked downtown on State street and he mentioned another store he worked at before Thriftys. I was shocked as I had a history with the store but remembered when he worked there. I did something there I have never been proud of though it is part of my History and occurred when I first got here and was a drunk punk on the streets. It was April 1980 and I had only been back here a month or so, I was here a couple months earlier but left traveling up the coast to torture other relatives who lived in Carmel Valley. I had already put my Sister through Hell here in Santa Barbara and thought it was their turn. In March I came back after putting them through the wringer, I was not a very good Alcoholic. So anyway in April I think it was around the 3rd I did not go to casual labor that day because a Hobo who fell off the train as it traveled through town gave me and my street pals five bucks each to go to the bank with him, he probably jumped. He was all cut up we took care of him so he paid us back and yes he had a bank account here it had $48,000.00 in there, he showed me freaked me out. Anyway, I bought whisky and smokes got a soda over at Ernies drive in, put some whisky in my soda cup walked around town sucking it up with a Plastic Straw. I got good and drunk sitting in the Sun drinking, I probably drank other booze too cannot remember it all.
Anyway went to the Sally for Rice and Beans, got thrown out during the Preaching, by that time it was drizzling outside so I went next store to a Used Car trailer office on the Used car lot next store. Others got kicked out too we were all there hanging out under the trailers awning, we started to pry the window slats open. I was so drunk I don't know why but mine broke. I reached in and grabbed a map of the County of Santa Barbara, it costs .50 cents but I ripped it off stuck it in my pocket and ran away as a volunteer from the Sally was yelling at us. We did not know it but the police was parked over on Haley watching us and called the Sally asking them what kind of services they had in there that would make us come out and break into their neighbor's trailer. It was called The Church of thy Blessed whiskey bottle.
Anyway the man yelled we all ran the police decended on the scene and got everyone but me and another guy. They were chasing the other guy, I ran around the corner to a liquor store, had enough for a pack of smokes but not a drink. If I was going to jail I waned to be good and drunk. I paid for the smokes and attempted to steal 2 bottles of T-Bird wine. I dropped one the clerk said "No you don't" reached in a drawer and grabbed a gun. I grabbed his wrist and made him drop the gun and ran pounding the one bottle of wine I saved. I was arrested soon after for burglary, gave the police my Sisters address in the 700 Block of De La Vina which ended up in the News Press along with my name... really pissed my Sister off. I wasn't through with her yet. I had always been ashamed of my liquor store heist. Years later I ran into that man I robbed who's wrist I twisted for that bottle of cheap wine and he asked me how I was? And told me he had always wondered what happened to me. I was in AA at the time and told him I was sober. That incident is one of the many reasons I do not drink Alcohol. In a few days it will be 16 years since I have had a drink, and the drink had me. That is my MILPAS UNDERPANTS and I'm sticking to them. Here are your Scanner Reports.
Scanner Reports, Wednesday:
- Overdose rear of the Santa Barbara County Jail 4436 Calle Real.
- Report of a vehicle with a handgun inside of it 200 Block of East Haley SBPD responded unknown if they got the gun but I think they did.
- Homeless camp clean up 800 Block of Old Coast Highway I wish they would do behind the place next door but they might need a Bulldozer.
- Med Call 500 Block of East Canon Perdido.
- Ocean Rescue Goleta Beach Surfer in Trouble.
- Ocean Rescue Gaviota State Beach.
- Ocean Rescue off Del Plays at Campus Point.
- Suspicious subject at CPS 1000 Block of North Turnpike subject threatening to kill employees and Law enforcement subject is a known transient.
- Powerlines down First Block of Mountain View.
- Juvenile skateboarding in traffic Los Positas at State street at 10:37am he should be in school he was wearing a green sweater.
- Check the Welfare of a resident in the 2500 Block of Orella.
- On La Cadena 415 19 Year old kid out of control throwing things yelling I don't have to post the address I think the neighbors know the place. Police have been there acouple times past few days.
- Suicidal Subject near Los Banos Pool.
- 1144 Death in the Marina 3 Parking Lot Rest in Peace.
- Subject trying a door on a home 1200 Block of San Miguel suspicious subject.
- Check the Welfare of a male in a sleeping bag 100 Block of West Alamar.
- Structure Fire response for a possible Structure Fire in the 4700 Block of Dexter.
- Code 40, Drunk Connie refusing to leave Trinty Church in the 1500 Block of State street.
- 911 Hang Up 200 Block of West Alamar.
- Non injury Accident State and Hope Elderly Driver not moving on Public Assist.
Scanner Reports, Thursday:
- Possible case of Indecent Exposure in the 1300 Block of State street involving a subject in a white van
- Premises check City Hall
- First Block of North Alisos oversized vehicle
- Premises Check 500 Block of Bath Street
- 600 Block of Santa Barbara street premises check
- 415 500 Block of Red Rose male with long white hair threatening the reporting party
- Camper in a van 400 Block of North Quarantina
- 415 Employee First Block of North Milpas causing a disturbance, OK You did your 8 Hours Now Go Away!
- Med call involving a child 1200 Block of Thomas.
- 400 Block of Ranchero Vista Med Call
- 2900 Block of Ariba Way Vehicle Fire
- Suspicious circumstances did not say what SBHS 700 East Anapamu
- Med call 100 Block of Por La Mar
- Suspicious Circumstances Weirdo takes over Managers office of Nordstroms and calls 911 Over and Over again. I'm alittle nuts but I never did anything like that Anyway he was taken away by AMR to Cottage don't know where he went after that don't want to know either.
- Premises check Alameda Park.
- Check the Welfare of an older male who seems disoriented getting into a white pick up truck from the S.B. Athletic club I guess the reporting party thought the man should not be driving because he was elderly.
- Juvenile 415 at McDonalds in the 3900 Block of State street reporting party witnessed and took pictures of one kid strong-arming other kids for their money hopefully the police will catch up with the little crook and get the money back to the victims
- Fire Alarms no fire 2700 Block of Sycamore Canyon Road
- Guadalupe at 5th in Guadalupe injury vehicle accident
- Possible drug activity at Modern Laundry 1015 DLV
Will I still have that song stuck in my head, "Luka" By Suzanne Vega, but there have been other songs stuck in my head for years. Sumertime Dream by Gordon Lightfoot I think that ones been there well over 40 years, and "Dancing in the Moonlight" that's another one stuck in the old noggin. You never catch me Dancing in the Moonlight I'll tell you that unless I'm drunk of course but that is the only way. So Hopefully we shall be getting some rain this weekend I did dance in the rain once sober. Got sick as a Dog too never do that again. Anyway Enjoy the Rain and enjoy your Weekend...Peter, Belinda, Angel Baby, Pooh Bear, Tom Cat, Clancy, Thomicina, Tiger, Midnight, Merlin, Lola, PoPo, Shadow, FREDDIE! Tiny, Andy, Fish Head One, and Two, Poncho, Jerry, Walter, Fred, Jonathan, C.J., Brad, Billy, Carl, Stan, Kent, ELMO, Patrick, Christy, Diana, Jim, Rambo, Sherry, David Cox, Po, Marty, Cop John, Eddie, Bambi, Bengie, Ricky, Bommy, Poppy, June, Muskie, Pat, Mavis, Lafayette, Ted,Willie, Magruder, Don, Edwin, Cory, Isabelle, Jerry, Debbie, Ken, LUCY! STOBIE THE HOBO, John Hancock, Mickey Mantle, Ernie Banks, Ron Santo, Tom Petty, and Chris willing we will Pee you on MONday-MONday. Later, Roger
Jan 11, 2019 04:22 PM
Roger, You sure do have some crazy stories from your past life. Always interesting ones! Glad you've made it this far.
Jan 11, 2019 05:39 PM
Kind of a funny thing I got into an argument with John today I had to call him back and apologize he was right I was wrong... Yes I did a few things in my time I was not a virgin to crime but I wasn't very good at it either..