Scanner Reports 1-10-18
By Roger the Scanner Guy
I have no words for what happened in Montecito but I have many tears. I woke up around 3:45 am hearing Engine 2's siren heading out the gate, then I heard the rain coming down, reached over, turned on my scanner and heard The Eucalyptus Hill Association talking about the rain and a huge orange glow in the Montecito Foothills. There was mention of the Thomas Fire and I thought, how could that be? With all this rain? The power went out, I turned on my battery light and all my battery powered scanners lit some candles and started writing what I was hearing as I did many years ago as a Security Guard Observe and Report.
I got myself a cup of tea from the faucet water. After a bit, I called Edhat from my cell phone and reported what was going on, every once in a while I'd call in leaving info on the answering service of what I was hearing, it wasn't good and it was getting worse. I e-mailed my family on Facebook and let them know I was OK. I did not want any responders wasted checking on me, all responders were needed in Montecito. I have never heard more determination in saving lives, many responders went way beyond the call of duty saving the lives of the Folks in Montecito. Unfortunately, not everyone was saved and lives were lost. I have no words for what happened in Montecito only tears. Rest in Peace victims of the Montecito Mudslides January 9th, 2018.
Here are your scanner reports, MONday:
- Medical emergency in a brown truck on Cabrillo at Castillo.
- 459 Commercial burglary 200 Block of East Yanonali.
- Hazard condition hillside behind a home 800 Block of Roberto Ave.
- Medical call 5300 Block of University.
- 273.5 Possible at the Christian Academy.
- Medical call for a facial burn 101 Northbound at Gaviota facial burn.
- Female stealing items from Catholic Social services 609 East Haley.
- Prowler in a parking lot 300 South Voluntario subject arrested.
- 415 Domestic male trying to break down a door with a sledgehammer 600 Block of West Canon Perdido.
- Burglary of a laundry room 3700 Block of San Remo.
- 415 2 Males yelling in the 3100 Block of State street.
- Ortega Park pot smokers.
- WMA in a wheelchair yelling and throwing items at MTD.
- 1500 Block of Garden injury hit and run.
- Female in distress 300 Block of Chapala.
- 1000 Block of East Yanonali 415 Male harassing a female.
- 415 Domestic 300 Block of North La Cumbre female fell down, but there is arguing in the background.
- Overdose on Heroin North West side of Santa Barbara.
- Assault 242pc 600 Block of State street.
- Heard there were Marborg trash cans in the street washed out from the rain.
- 459 Audible subject seen with a flashlight on a video camera inside building 421 Laguna.
- Suicidal subject 200 Block of Ladera.
- 1145 Suicidal subject at Amtrak wants to jump in front of a train.
- Campers under a bridge refusing to leave 401 East Yanonali.
Scanner Reports, Tuesday
- 3:45 AM No power turned on Scanner wrote down what I heard this is what I wrote:
- Vehicles driving Northbound in the Southbound Lanes of Highway 101.
- Structure Fires, Gas Leaks, 1200 Of Hot Springs Destroyed, Numerous rescues.
- 339 Hot Springs Road rescue Some People Trapped, some missing.
- Vehicle Accident poles down wires down all over.
- Swift Water Rescue 2845 Sycamore Canyon.
- Family Trapped, Mud Slide 2 Victims need an Ambulance Swift Water Rescue.
- South Coast 391 Full County Fire Responses.
- People trapped in their yards.
- East Valley in passable powerlines.
- No Ambulances Available.
- Elderly female trapped 100 Block of Olive Mill Road.
- Highway 101 to highway 154 mud debris flooding.
- Only way into Montecito for responders Coast Village Road to Middle Road, to Hot Springs.
- East Valley at Lilac Vehicles stuck in the mud.
- Fire Hydrants are dry no water.
- Multiple 911 calls on Hold stacking calls.
- 1913 Elise Way house flooding Engine 6 responded.
- Old Coast Highway roundabout Coast Village Eastbound close the roads.
- 300 Block of Hot Springs heavy debris, heavy equipment needed.
- 415 Transient disturbing 1111 East Cabrillo.
- 1200 Block of East Valley possible people missing.
- 13 People sheltering in place in one home, rescuers trying to get into Montecito
- 339 Hot Springs Ambulance needed.
- Earl Warren Show Grounds one of the staging areas, 1040 Coast Village Road another staging area Vons parking lot.
- 5 Victims in the water 300 Block of Hot Springs.
- Shut Down Olive Mill Road.
- Channel Drive Flooded over the Rail Road Tracks.
- Residents on roofs structures collapsed life-threatening situations.
- Gas line rupture.
- Glen Oaks Flooding.
- Mussel Shoals at Highway 101 closed.
- Channel Drive is a river.
- Tabernate Drive water in the house this house I believe off Jamenson there was a Medical Emergency where the patient passed away.
- 100 Block of North Alisos missing manhole cover.
- Need to get at least 30 people out of Montecito.
- Military vehicles Coast Village Road and Hot Springs.
- MediVac out of Carpinteria.
- A family of 3 and a dog no medical but have to get them out. A few moments later I heard their home was destroyed the area was flooded the family members and dog were in trees.
- Additional engines needed.
- 2 Burn Victims red tag Coast Guard responding for transport.
- Requesting Ventura county Air Support.
- Trying to confirm all power shut off to Montecito.
- Highway 101 Vehicle swept into a river victim knee deep in mud
It was a horrible day in Montecito there are no words only Tears Rest in Peace victims of the Montecito Mudslide...Peter, Belinda, Angel Baby, Pooh Bear, Fish Head One, Midnight, Merlin, Clancy, Poncho, Jerry, Walter, Fred, Brad, Billy, Jonathan, C.J., Stan, Kent, Carl, ELMO, Patrick, Christy, Diana, Jim, Marty, Cop John, Bommy, Poppy, David Cox, Poe, Magruder, Don, Edwin, Cory, Ricky, Rambo, Sherry, Isabelle, Jerry, John Hancock, Mickey Mantle, Ernie Banks, and Chris Willing we will see you on FRYday. Later, Roger
Jan 10, 2018 09:16 AM
Early THAT morning (yesterday), I awoke and turned on the tv, channel 3, and there were stalwarts, Tracy Lehr, and John Palminteri. Out there in the dark, trying to tell an 'untellable' nightmare story, in the dark...finding the story...the story finding them. Then, I turned to Edhat, what else?, and there was an unbelievable series of Roger reports...even with his power off...his power/himself was on. Thank you, all.
Thank you for being you.
Jan 10, 2018 09:29 AM
You have a beautiful soul, Roger.