Scammers Pretend to be Social Security Administration

By an edhat reader

Just got a call from 805-386-9571, the moment you answer the call a recording comes on that says that your social security will be suspended due to suspicious illegal activity and to call this number. So, I did call the number and they actually answer "Social Security Administration". In the background is a call center full of scammers!

d8vanilla Apr 23, 2019 11:53 AM
Scammers Pretend to be Social Security Administration

I received several of those calls on my cell phone, and they left recorded messages for me to call them back. My usual method for calling back, to block my # from showing up on their caller-id, is to put *67 first, then dial their #, but it wouldn't go through, so I went ahead and called them, and I could hear that it was a call-center, and the guy had that foreign accent, so I SCREAMED as loud as I could into the phone. I did that a bunch of times !!! stress relief for me!!!! I blocked their # ,but they could still leave a message. Have not figured out how to temporarily shut down my voice mailbox. I also went on to the REAL SS website, and filed a report online. Why can't anyone shut these places down?? And, how can they use #'s that don't exist..... ??? I've kept a list and I have over 200 different spam calls that have come to my house phone, and about 100 that have come to my cell phone.

John Wiley Apr 23, 2019 08:48 PM
Scammers Pretend to be Social Security Administration

The last few weeks we're getting a LOT of robo calls in what sounds like it could be Chinese (when we reject the fake number call a female voice leaves an unintelligible message). Do you just love the phone companies and Congress for enabling this? There's talk of new counter-measures, so maybe we'll at least get a brief reprieve.

All Sides Apr 24, 2019 05:36 AM
Scammers Pretend to be Social Security Administration

I have heard that there is equipment available to these people that manipulates the number you see on your phone. I have also called some of these numbers back and got a recording that said " This is So and so and someone has hijacked my number. "

Flicka Apr 23, 2019 12:27 PM
Scammers Pretend to be Social Security Administration

These scammers will get some old folks living only on their Social Security scared half to death and they will do whatever the jerks require. Really sad these people can get away with this horrible scam. Surely the real SS people can do something to stop it and maybe even get these scammers off to jail.

a-1556049378 Apr 23, 2019 12:56 PM
Scammers Pretend to be Social Security Administration

So true. All of us have a social responsibility to explain SS and other scams to the seniors in our lives. Make sure they know that they would not be contacted via telephone for legitimate reasons.

d8vanilla Apr 23, 2019 08:11 PM
Scammers Pretend to be Social Security Administration

One of the times, I got a call from the fake IRS guy , that said I owed a ton of money, so I pretended to FREAK-out, even dropping the phone, whaling and saying over & over ...."what am I gonna do", , pretend to hysterically crying loudly...... etc..... pretend to leave the room..... Fun times

shorebird Apr 23, 2019 09:43 PM
Scammers Pretend to be Social Security Administration

When I accidentally answer one of these bogus calls I say “OMG. This is making me very nervous. Wait a second while I light a cigarette.” Then I put down the phone and wait to see how long it takes for them to hang up.

shorebird Apr 24, 2019 09:52 AM
Scammers Pretend to be Social Security Administration

Another harassment strategy to use is to say, “I think we have a bad connection. Could you speak a little louder.” Then continue to say “what” to everything they say until they are screaming. Good time revenge.

a-1556174274 Apr 24, 2019 11:37 PM
Scammers Pretend to be Social Security Administration

We have a friend who immediately adopts the accent of the scammer. Then he says “do you want my credit card number now?! I’m ready to give it to you! Please take my card number!!” Freaks out the scammer.

a-1556233052 Apr 25, 2019 03:57 PM
Scammers Pretend to be Social Security Administration

RoboKiller app - It's worth every cent!

Don't believe me? Find the reviews! It's even highly touted on major news networks when they do their monthly robocalls features.