SB and Goleta Cell Coverage

By an edhat reader

I'm looking to switch to a different cell phone carrier. Any recommendations on what cell phone companies provide the best coverage in Santa Barbara and Goleta. I heard new towers got deployed so coverage is better? Looking to switch from AT&T to T Mobile.

a-1654708548 Jun 08, 2022 10:15 AM
SB and Goleta Cell Coverage

Coverage in Santa Barbara is not the same as Goleta so would be comparing apples and oranges. The Fairview and Cathedral oaks area in particular has horrible cell service in my experience where as SB is well covered.

I do believe that Verizon has better coverage than T-Mobile or AT&T in general but others may have different experiences.

Jenorm82 Jun 08, 2022 10:29 AM
SB and Goleta Cell Coverage

Have had Verizon for many years and have never had an issue with coverage anywhere I've gone.

a-1654714320 Jun 08, 2022 11:52 AM
SB and Goleta Cell Coverage

Verizon customer service is horrible, they don't stop spammers from hassling you 24/7, and their prices are excessive. Check out Consumer Reports review of Ting, and check out their tingmobile website. They offer both Verizon and Tmobile networks at low prices and have great customer service. I have nothing to gain from sharing this personal experience switching to Ting from Verizon. They do offer some token benefit for personally referring a new subscriber, if you get their service and then get someone to mention your name when they sign up but giving them this comment's number won't confer any benefit to me and would probably confuse everybody LOL.

bosco Jun 08, 2022 04:26 PM
SB and Goleta Cell Coverage

For years I used to carry two phones, an ATT phone and Verizon phone (personal/work). In SB both worked fine, but in Goleta, ATT was spotty and Verizon would always work.

mtndriver Jun 08, 2022 04:53 PM
SB and Goleta Cell Coverage

In our neighborhood, lower Mtn Drive near Sheffield Reservoir, Verizon is terrible. We can't make calls at all from inside the house without wifi, and outdoors away from the wifi network we get one or two bars. Just awful. And I agree, their customer service is the pits. AT&T was worse, but we switched about 10 years ago, so they may be better now.

Vince Klortho Jun 09, 2022 07:58 AM
SB and Goleta Cell Coverage

Wow, not sure where you guys are going with perfect Verizon coverage…

I deliver on the side for DoorDash. I call Calle Real near Fairview the Bermuda Triangle, because the reception is almost nonexistent. Like, can’t even send a text nonexistent. I regularly get dropped orders and missed messages. If I’m in Walgreens or Albertsons on Calle Real, I often can’t communicate with customers until I drive well west of Fairview, or almost to Patterson. And forget Old Town. Zero reception. I often can’t even use my app to confirm orders in Old Town. I live near Cathedral Oaks and Fairview, and if I’m not on Wi-Fi, calls regularly drop from my bedroom, and I can’t use the internet. The same is true for Loretta Plaza - if you’re going to the San Roque post office or Gelson’s, good luck being able to check something on your phone or send someone a picture.

So, if you’re sticking to Coast Village Drive or State Street, I’d say you’re fine. But if you have to go about the everyday business of normal people, Verizon’s coverage in the Santa Barbara area is spotty, at best.

Surfshock Jun 09, 2022 09:04 AM
SB and Goleta Cell Coverage

I'm all over SB and Goleta for work Monday - Friday with other people that have different services. I ditched Verizon a long time ago for their horrible customer service and for trying to charge me hundreds of dollars for things that ended up being "the wrong account" and having nothing to do with me (after HOURS of arguing with them on the phone). I went to T-Mobile for a long time and recently switched to Google Fi which is basically the same T-Mobile service but for slightly cheaper. If you're going to need customer service, T-Mobile has it. If you're not worried about changing plans or anything of the sort too much Google Fi is the way to go. The only problems I have with service in Santa Barbara or Goleta is in the hills above cathedral oaks, which most services are the same.

Bemeek Jun 09, 2022 01:17 PM
SB and Goleta Cell Coverage

I had Verizon for the longest time. It was very expensive. But for business I kept Verizon and moved my personal line to TMobile. Their customer service was by far superior. In Northern California and in the mountains, Verizon had better coverage, but they were both bad...and all the locals had AT&T. Funny note: AT&T was known for have really bad metropolitan coverage.
When there were all those fires followed by the Montecito mudslides, it must have affected Verizon's cell towers. I started getting dropped calls with at least 5 times the previous frequency. Often on Cathedral Oaks or driving south from Montecito to Ventura.
About 2 years ago, we decided to try Google Fi. We were expecting something close to TMobile for being so cheap, but it has been so much better than we had hoped. You only pay for the data that you use at $10/GB and the phone can be used internationally without major charges or account changes! This was a bonus we didn't even know we were looking for. When in the country, we are getting signal for calls in places that we normally never did before. There is the occasional dropped call or some sound instability but most of it is fixed by hanging up and calling again.

Also remember that Verizon always locked the phones. And their locked phones often didn't work in other countries. We paid for the really expensive Note 9 and that one was unlocked...but it still has annoying Verizon software and messages that I cannot get rid of.

Google Fi does have deals where you and a friend will get a discount if you come in from a referral. I wish I had done it that way.
Remember that this service is completely online/over the phone. There is no office to go to. But we are pretty darn happy and we're paying almost $130 for 2 lines with Verizon and now pay between $60 and $90, depending on whether we only use 2Gb or 4Gb of data. They now have unlimited plans (lowest at $80 before taxes for both lines), but we prefer to keep the freedoms of easy international travel with our own phones/numbers and no ring tones that indicate we are out of the country! If we start pushing $110/month, then I will look into the unlimited data plan that includes international access.

But I am way happier than I ever thought I would be. Maybe it is worth a try for you. I forgot to mention, there are no contracts. The unlimited plans might have one...I do not know either way