Santa Barbara's Past and Present

Santa Barbara's Past and Present title=
Santa Barbara's Past and Present

By Jay of ReplayAR

In the video below, we witness the SANTA BARBARA OF YESTERYEAR by using augmented reality to overlay historical photographs on the present-day locations where they were taken. Here's a timeline of the locations and historical moments featured in the video.

VIDEO TIMELINE:

00:02 - Foot of Stearns Wharf at the end of State Street and Cabrillo (AR Photo Source: Santa Barbara Historical Museum, Walter A. Tompkins Collection / Late 1880s)

00:10 - Stearns Wharf (AR Photo Source: Unknown / Apx. 1945)

00:15 - Sambo’s Restaurant (AR Photo Source: Chad Stevens / 1957)

00:24 - Elmer’s Metropolitan Restaurant, 1025 Chapala Street (AR Photo Source: Postcard / 1946)

00:31 - Hunt’s China Shop, 12 East Carrillo Street (AR Photo Source: Postcard / 1949)

00:38 - The Granada Theatre being repaired after earthquake damage (AR Photo Source: Unknown / 1953)

00:44 - Earthquake damage at the San Marcos Building on the corner of State and Anapamu (AR Photo Source: Edwin Rick / June 29, 1925)

00:49 - “El Nido” (The Nest) at Garden and Pedregosa (AR Photo Source: The Benham Company / 1912)

00:54 - Mission Santa Barbara after sustaining earthquake damage (AR Photo Source: Dwight Faulding / June 29, 1925)

00:59 - Stearns Wharf (AR Photo Source: Alfred Moore Stringfield / 1880)

01:06 - Lumber shipment at Stearns Wharf  (AR Photo Source: Santa Barbara Historical Museum / 1888)

biguglystick Jan 30, 2020 06:04 PM
Santa Barbara's Past and Present

God, I miss Old Santa Barbara... it's a shadow of its former self now, taken over by the uber wealthy and Hollywood types and tourists. SAD. It used to be the best place on Earth! I sure do miss how it was.

aragorn Jan 30, 2020 10:20 AM
Santa Barbara's Past and Present

As I was watching the video, I just paused it through the scenes. I really do miss what Santa Barbara used to look like in 1959 and 1960 when I was 3 and 4 years old. For me back then it felt like Santa Barbara was still in the 30's and 40's, and really had that Old Spanish feel to it. Now for me it just disappeared and that feeling is only a faded memory.

winter Jan 29, 2020 07:53 PM
Santa Barbara's Past and Present

Always interested in this stuff.
I have been to the old "Talk of the Town ", building...now Family Service....
I guess people really dressed in their finary.

a-1580348243 Jan 29, 2020 05:37 PM
Santa Barbara's Past and Present

Hunt's China shop. We used to go in there and look around. Then we'd go down to Salvation Army where we could afford things. I love that the "El Nido" (the Nest) house (NE corner of Garden & Pedregosa) used to look even more like a cartoon face thanks to those awnings.

REX OF SB Jan 29, 2020 12:19 PM
Santa Barbara's Past and Present

Great film! The only suggestion I'd make is to slow it down about 50% so that we can take more of it in.

bjgreen Jan 29, 2020 12:06 PM
Santa Barbara's Past and Present

Cool! That's sort of how I see Santa Barbara when I look around. The past is still here in a way.