Update by Santa Barbara Police Department
March 3, 2021

On 3/2/21 at approximately 1630 hours officers were dispatched Code 3 to the area of State and Broadmoor Plaza for a subject who was reportedly making statements of distress.

Prior to officer arrival dispatch advised the subject was armed with a metal pole and walked out into traffic. When officers arrived the subject began to advance on the officers yelling "shoot me." He also stated he wanted to kill someone or himself.  A crowd of onlookers was gathering in the area as well, further complicating the matter as their safety was a concern.

An Officer intentionally positioned his car behind the subject as a barrier between him and the group of citizens as the incident dynamically unfolded. After unsuccessful attempts to effectively communicate with the subject and de-escalate the situation, Officers used less-lethal apparatus causing the subject to drop the weapon.

K9 Murdoch was released and bit the subject, preventing him from picking up the weapon again as officers moved in to successfully handcuff him.

The subject was transported to Cottage Hospital for medical clearance and a mental health evaluation.

Reported by Tagdes
5:00 p.m., March 2, 2021

Brandishing a weapon against a police officer. Multiple code 3 response (lights and sirens) to State and Broadmoor.

a-1614793507 Mar 03, 2021 09:45 AM
Santa Barbara Police Safely Apprehend Distressed Male

Bravo, SBPD. It always bothers me when people with weapons that are not guns (pipes, knives, etc) are killed by the police, barring extreme circumstances. Glad this was not the case here. Great work!

Terrapin Flyer Mar 03, 2021 07:10 AM
Santa Barbara Police Safely Apprehend Distressed Male

Jence, you blame Biden, whose been in office a little over a month, for this? Flush your head gear. Talk about misdirected anger. You righties need to learn to stop reacting from emotion and learn how to use logic and reason before you judge. Hint: Fox and Qanon are devoid of logic, reason, and anything else resembling impartiality.

Lina24 Mar 04, 2021 01:54 PM
Santa Barbara Police Safely Apprehend Distressed Male

08;29, His and Obanas hands were tied by the con majority in office, blocking all the good proposals Obama and the Dems have that are designed to help we the people, instead of only the uber wealthy few that the cons only care about .

Jence Mar 03, 2021 10:40 PM
Santa Barbara Police Safely Apprehend Distressed Male

I made a really good dish tonight that tasted almost like mac and cheese! I used barley and turmeric and some other spices. Maybe we should have another outlet for us that love to cook and want to share recipes that work with stuff that we can get at the grocery store! I'm down!

a-1614824644 Mar 03, 2021 06:24 PM
Santa Barbara Police Safely Apprehend Distressed Male

What does the DC administration have to do with a local/state issue of homeless people in SB? The very idea of an all-powerful huge federal government that could attempt to control us that way is the very antithesis of what this country was founded on.

a-1614796676 Mar 03, 2021 10:37 AM
Santa Barbara Police Safely Apprehend Distressed Male

Terrapin, You say "You righties need to learn to stop reacting from emotion and learn how to use logic and reason before you judge." Well, from my observation as a middle-of-the-road observer, the same could be said about "lefties."

a-1614788941 Mar 03, 2021 08:29 AM
Santa Barbara Police Safely Apprehend Distressed Male

Actually Terrapin Flyer, hasn't Biden been in federal office, including 8 years as VP, for almost 50 years. He could have been part of the solution during all of those years if he was as good as he tells us that he is.

Jence Mar 03, 2021 01:50 AM
Santa Barbara Police Safely Apprehend Distressed Male

So sad, it used to be great! I could walk to the bank, get my hair done and Danny would cut my son's knot at the barber shop. I could shop at Gelson's and mail something at the post office if I needed to;
7-11 is just across the street for snacks . And don't even get me started on Farmer Boy dumpster breakfasts! And there was a laundromat (Sterling) right there next to the pet store. Geez, has that all gone to hell now too with the transplants and homeless? Great. Thanks Biden! And Newsome! Oh, here's my fantastic wallet that you want to open so you can pull out some money for the people that came here without sponsorship and you told them that they can stay if they want! GREAT!!!!!!
I love being broke and hearing kids not being able to speak appropriately and think that Algebra is not a country. Wonderful.

PitMix Mar 03, 2021 09:07 AM
Santa Barbara Police Safely Apprehend Distressed Male

Yeah, it must be Biden's fault for not fixing homelessness and crime in his 1st 100 days. Rs had 4 yrs to do this and the problem just got worse, right? At least blaming Newsom seems like a more appropriate target. Let's see if 51% of us agree with you when the recall election occurs.

CoastWatch Mar 02, 2021 05:57 PM
Santa Barbara Police Safely Apprehend Distressed Male

All the apartments on Broadmoor Plaza and Richland were, at one time not too long ago, filled with rent-paying occupants, most of whom were elderly locals... NOW, they are all under the control of The Santa Barbara Housing Authority... occupied by recently released State Felons, "former" homeless and drug and alcohol program participants. Just another once nice neighborhood that has been transformed by The Santa Barbara Housing Authority.

Jence Mar 02, 2021 10:45 PM
Santa Barbara Police Safely Apprehend Distressed Male

Um, I can speak to that personally. I rented an apartment at 3400 Richchland Dr.. I applied with the owner, an older lady, and she rented to me. It was a mom and pop; Perfect!!!! Not too long after that, Sandpiper Management came in. They are terrible. I had to call Justin to remind him to trim the junipers. Now you should see the property line between 3454 and 3500!!! The fence is completely torn down . I used to love that area;;;;;;;

Now it'ts a Crap Hole

Thank you SandpiperProperty Management!

Justin must be happy to get that check.
You totally ruined the neighborhood;

ChillinGrillin Mar 02, 2021 08:38 PM
Santa Barbara Police Safely Apprehend Distressed Male

Who said this criminal mastermind was from those apartments? Who said they were even from SB? Yet another clumsy attempt to pigeonhole irrelevant political views into a crime story. Coast and CSR, our criminology professors emeriti, are here to educate us on the perils of *gasp* affordable housing! *clutches pearls* Not near my lawn, Newsom!

pstarSR Mar 02, 2021 05:12 PM
Santa Barbara Police Safely Apprehend Distressed Male

when you say multiple. you arent kidding. one my way home there was 2 fire trucks, 5 police cars and some more. it was all closed down. I was coming onto state from las positas and saw it in my rearview. looked intense