Santa Barbara Police Department Mourns Fallen K9 Hero title=

Source: Santa Barbara Police Department

It is with a heavy heart that the Santa Barbara Police Department announces the death of Police K-9 Klaus.

Klaus was partnered with Santa Barbara Police Officer J. Lombardo. Klaus experienced a medical emergency on February 7, 2020. He was immediately taken to one of the best veterinary hospitals in the region. Tragically, Klaus did not survive the medical condition and passed away.

Officer Lombardo and K-9 Klaus were partnered together and had begun to develop a very promising career as a K-9 team. The two had spent many hundreds-of-hours training and many shifts working together to make the Santa Barbara community a safer place.

Santa Barbara Police K-9’s live with their handlers and become part of the family. The bond between handler and K-9 is an essential element for an effective partnership.

Please join us in extending heartfelt sorrow to Officer Lombardo. Klaus was a champion, we honor his memory.

giftedinSB Feb 10, 2020 04:12 PM
Santa Barbara Police Department Mourns Fallen K9 Hero

Wow, another one? I almost didn't read this article because I thought it was an update on the previous K9 (Chip, I think) that passed away. The other K9 was only 2 years old - I wonder how old this dog lived to be. Very sad for both handlers. RIP Klaus.

Cabomark Feb 10, 2020 01:47 PM
Santa Barbara Police Department Mourns Fallen K9 Hero

For those of you who are not familiar with herding dog breeds like German Shepherds and Belgian Malnois , they are very hardy active dogs , and sometimes due to their large chest cavities , they will have their stomachs turn or flip. This causes a condition called torsion or commonly known as bloat. This in itself is a life threatening emergency and is not immediately recognized can be fatal. With the Law Enforcement K9s being trained rigorously and under EXCELLENT care, unfortunately this can happen. It is NOT exclusive to Law Enforcement K9s and does happen even to other large-chested breeds. Many times the onset of symptoms is not recognized until it is too late and dogs do not have to be engaged in activities for it to happen. Having experienced this over the years with three dogs, I can tell you for a fact that the Veterinary Medical & Surgical Group is one of the Top Notch emergency and surgical hospitals around. I am sad to hear that both Chop and Klaus were not able to be saved , but I can guarantee you they got the best of care in attempting to keep them alive. This is NOT an issue with PD K9s or their care, and merely a coincidence that this happened so close together with both dogs - and this is NOT due to their veterinary care My condolences go out to the Officers for their lost partners

a-1581959046 Feb 10, 2020 09:29 AM
Santa Barbara Police Department Mourns Fallen K9 Hero

Please explain how they, VMSG, "did you wrong." Was it too expensive? Was your pet beyond saving regardless of the facility or veterinarian(s)? Thanks for the response.

Lucky 777 Feb 09, 2020 03:35 PM
Santa Barbara Police Department Mourns Fallen K9 Hero

Yes German Shepherds are prone to bloat, but so are many deep chested breeds. Usually you have a window of about 2 hours to get them to treatment and if necessary surgery. I have had 3 Irish Wolfhounds bloat, 2 were saved surgically and the third was killed by a local vet who used the wrong size equipment during surgery and caused him to get aspiration pneumonia and die several days later. I now ALWAYS go to VMSG Veterinary Medical and Surgery Group in Ventura, where their top quality surgeons have proven to be the best available in this area.

PitMix Feb 10, 2020 08:52 AM
Santa Barbara Police Department Mourns Fallen K9 Hero

Is the extra 1/2 hr to get your emergent dog to VMSG in Ventura a factor in the care decision? My Irish Setter got the bloat and was not able to be saved, but this was back in the 80's and maybe things are better now.

Ryan93105 Feb 09, 2020 05:54 PM
Santa Barbara Police Department Mourns Fallen K9 Hero

Those Wolfhounds are awesome dogs. Intelligent enough to be playful without being belligerent or truculent, even indoors, they don't knock things over. I had a friend who had a couple of them, she told me they were "gentle when stroked, fierce when provoked". I always found that to be an apt description.

a-1581959046 Feb 09, 2020 04:37 PM
Santa Barbara Police Department Mourns Fallen K9 Hero

Lucky777 - I just did thorough research on the VMSG you mentioned and they look first class! I'm sure they are costly, but when your beloved pet's life is on the line & you have the funds, this appears to be the best around. Thanks for the mention!

Mesagal Feb 09, 2020 01:30 PM
Santa Barbara Police Department Mourns Fallen K9 Hero

German Sheperds are prone to bloat, often it is fatal. Onset is pretty sudden and if surgery isn't done right away the dog will die. I am guessing this may have been what happened in both of the 2 recent canine officers' deaths. So sad. https://pets.webmd.com/dogs/gastric-volvulus-bloat-dogs#1

a-1581959046 Feb 09, 2020 01:12 PM
Santa Barbara Police Department Mourns Fallen K9 Hero

Agree, what happened? What and where were they exposed to whatever is hurting them!? I want to avoid my own dog being harmed and also want them to stop letting their dogs get hurt and die. Very disconcerting!!!

Minibeast Feb 09, 2020 12:32 PM
Santa Barbara Police Department Mourns Fallen K9 Hero

This is sad, sad news. I, too, had the thought: “Another K-9 so soon? What?” My family and I extend our deepest sympathy and heartfelt condolences to Officer Lombardo, his family, and to all who knew Klaus. A terrible loss.