Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll title=

By Edhat Staff

Our local elections are right around the corner with all ballots being cast on Tuesday, November 7. The biggest debate that's taking place in the City of Santa Barbara is among the five candidates vying for Helene Schneider's mayor seat. Learn more about each candidate here.

Who will you be voting for? Take our edhat poll below!

Every City of Santa Barbara resident will also be voting on Measure C. The ballot states this Measure will maintain essential services and repair critical infrastructure for an additional sales tax of 1%. Although the ballot states it's a one-cent sales tax, creating some confusion among voters. The final verdict is that this is 1%, not a $0.01 sales tax increase.

Are you for or against Measure C?

Several districts throughout Santa Barbara City are voting for new City Council members. If you live in Districts 4, 5, or 6, who did you vote for?

District 4

District 5

District 6

Past Articles

patrick Nov 08, 2017 07:33 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

Interesting to compare this poll’s results with the actual election results. I think only one race agreed.

tagdes Nov 08, 2017 03:48 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

Totally agree and if anyone like myself was really curious about the race all one had to do was check the Indy they have called it almost dead even between Murrilo and Hotchkiss for at least the last 2 weeks.

tagdes Nov 08, 2017 03:49 PM

Bird Nov 08, 2017 09:15 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

Patrick, to my memory, none of the edhat poll results have been in line with the actual results. They're fun but not serious! And, imo, they do give a good picture of the Edhat readership preferences, not unlike the Montecito Journal's election preferences do of its readers'.

a-1511225586 Nov 08, 2017 09:15 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

@SBREADER, website polls usually aren't accurate/scientific because they don't statistically represent the voting public. The poll only represents whomever visits the website. Also, the polling app used by Edhat was very easy to cheat. If you have Windows Edge, Internet Explorer, and Chrome installed on your PC, you could use each bowser to vote for the same candidate (I verified this by voting for the same person 3 times). The polling app did not check IP addresses, it was probably based on cookies. If so, you could have cleared your cookies and voted multiple times using a single browser. These are things kids can figure out easily - as well as campaigns with social media specialists. Still, I'm glad Edhat did the poll because anything you can do to raise voter interest/awreness is good.

EastBeach Nov 08, 2017 09:17 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

@SBREADER, website polls usually aren't accurate/scientific because they don't statistically represent the voting public. The poll only represents whomever visits the website. Also, the polling app used by Edhat was very easy to cheat. If you have Windows Edge, Internet Explorer, and Chrome installed on your PC, you could use each bowser to vote for the same candidate (I verified this by voting for the same person 3 times). The polling app did not check IP addresses, it was probably based on cookies. If so, you could have cleared your cookies and voted multiple times using a single browser. These are things kids can figure out easily - as well as campaigns with social media specialists. Still, I'm glad Edhat did the poll because anything you can do to raise voter interest/awareness is good.

SBREADER Nov 08, 2017 08:04 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

I am surprised how far off the Edhat poll was. I was starting to believe it. 3 months ago I called it Cathy but by only 200 votes. I was a lot closer than you were! Pretty soon you will be "batting" the same as the Montecito Journal on local elections and what's that say about your common readership. Again I am surprised, I didn't know what to expect from your Poll.

RLJ Nov 07, 2017 04:49 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

I did NOT vote for Bendy White due to his endorsement by our current mayor Helene Schneider. I still hold her accountable for supporting the New York Philharmonic concert at La Playa Stadium in July where a dog was so severely frightened it ran into traffic and was struck by a car. I did NOT vote for Cathy Murillo due to her support of PODER and the ensuing Milpas Street Fiasco. I give her kudos for being dog friendly, but that isn't enough to earn my vote. Candidates: Actions have consequences and some of us have long memories and we VOTE.

porkrind Nov 08, 2017 09:01 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

Wow! That is a stretch of breathtaking proportions. Good ol' Bendy's running on pro-dog-killing platform because he and Schneider are members of the same secret anti-canine society and thus he gets her endorsement? And you know this because Helene didn't stop a legally permitted popular event once in her term that resulted in a poorly-restrained dog getting hit by a car?

Ducky Nov 07, 2017 04:08 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

I’m NOT voting for Murillo. But, in all fairness, I can’t believe there’s anyone who’s taking that commercial seriously. It so, so badly edited and spliced together. Just all together badly done.

ginger1 Nov 06, 2017 06:23 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

"The final verdict is that this is 1%, not a $0.01 sales tax increase." Nope. Still wrong. It is a whopping **13%** increase!! But they try to sell it as a 1 cent increase. But nice try.

SBPaul Nov 08, 2017 04:39 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

Please remember that edhat does not automatically refresh once you submit your comment. I believe you have placed your signature quadruple click in more than one of our exchanges and I hate to see the comment stats get out of whack.

a-1511225586 Nov 08, 2017 07:48 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

Actually, Ginger and SBPaul, I was just stating why they say it is one cent. I voted against it. I think 8.75% is too high for sales tax. Aren't we supposed to be encouraging people to buy locally? I know the city needs the money, but I didn't like this general measure. It is one cent on the dollar, and a 13% increase over the current sales tax. Both are true. Just depends how you phrase it.

a-1511225586 Nov 08, 2017 07:48 AM

a-1511225586 Nov 08, 2017 07:50 AM

SBPaul Nov 07, 2017 04:18 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

Yes A-1510100124, can you do the math on 1cent added to %8.75 sales tax. Its a 13% increase. Your right when you only buy a gallon of milk its 1 cent extra. When you do business its a 13% increase in your sales tax... Since most people can't do math 1 cent seems to sound pretty reasonable.

a-1511225586 Nov 05, 2017 08:52 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

Angel Martinez lives in downtown Santa Barbara, and has since before he thought about running for Mayor. He has never held public office and is only running because he cares about Santa Barbara, and has a track record of phenomenal life achievements to actually make progress happen with the bully pulpit of the mayor's office. If you were hiring someone to work for you (which we are all doing when we are voting for mayor), wouldn't you at least look at the record of achievement of who you are hiring? While the other candidates all have varying good qualities and backgrounds, Angel's accomplishments and life story make him look like LeBron James compared to the other candidates as high school basketball players. We are lucky to have a candidate with the skill set to really make a difference and who wants the job for all the right reasons, why not give him a shot at it? We can always go back to the same ol' same ol' next time around, but this is a unique opportunity to change our city for the better!

CivilEngineer Nov 08, 2017 08:29 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

If his only experience was in running Decker's to qualify him as mayor, how is that working out now? Decker's stock is going downhill fast. They are basically a one product business and that product's popularity has peaked, just like the pet rock craze. When you see a business build a really expensive new headquarters, that is a sign that they have peaked.

a-1511225586 Nov 06, 2017 08:29 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

I don't believe that the only reason that Angel Martinez is running for mayor is because he cares about Santa Barbara there are other reasons. Maybe you should have left that out of your sales pitch.

lifer Nov 06, 2017 06:01 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

So he got a place in town to qualify as a candidate for Mayor? So far the logic for supporting this candidate is that his past business career will successfully translate into good things for our community? Why does he start with supporting the 13% hike in our Sales Tax?? Pro-solutions should mean lower taxes and less frivolous spending. Tax and Spend is the go-go approach Obama Admin used to flail us into massive debt.

a-1511225586 Nov 05, 2017 08:56 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

DIdn't Angel Martinez just build a huge home in Ojai? Where he lives in SB is just in order to run for Mayor. Better to support Murillo who cares about people's rights and the environment.

a-1511225586 Nov 05, 2017 08:13 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

I live in the County and have for 80+ years. All I can do is watch this fiasco and keep my mouth shut...

a-1511225586 Nov 04, 2017 04:21 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

Appears as if the winner of the mayoral race in SB will be either Conklin or Martinez according to their high polling number. The numbers for the other candidates show that they are too far behind to overtake either of these two front-runners. Cathy's numbers in particular are falling, and people on the Eastside are not going to vote for her "just because", nor are a high percentage of those on the Westside who she offended with her infamous on-video "you're going to feel the pain of my vote." I"m sure she'd like to take THAT one back, but too late once you show your true colors....on video no less!!!

EastBeach Nov 04, 2017 01:39 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

This poll may be fun, but I wouldn't take it seriously. As someone else mentioned, it's very easy to vote multiple times for the same person. I suspect proponents of some candidates have figured that out judging by how some candidates numbers have spiked compared to everyone else's in the past 24 hours. It's also common for campaigns to run internet/social-media focus units - this poll would be a piece of cake to manipulate. Same goes for comment sections these days. I pine for the simpler days of the old Edhat and its community.

lifer Nov 04, 2017 10:51 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

Angel Martinez lives in Hope Ranch...how can he run for Mayor?...picked up a hi-density apt for appearance?

a-1511225586 Nov 04, 2017 08:56 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

Definitely not Murillo or anyone who supported CLinton this past election.

Bookit Nov 04, 2017 09:17 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

The proposal is for the sales tax to go from 7.75% to 8.75% That is almost a 13% increase in sales tax.

a-1511225586 Nov 04, 2017 01:12 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

This poll can not be taken seriously. I love you Edhat but it is way to easy to cheat and skew the results. If you believe the results of this poll you are ill informed. I can not believe how many Cathy haters post their opinions constantly on every local website. This is a local campaign not Hillary or Bernie vs Donald. It has gotten way too spiteful and ugly. You all must feel threatened by her candidacy. I do not see such vicious things written about the other candidates. Time to play fair on the playground.

a-1511225586 Nov 04, 2017 10:02 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

I guess the fact that Cathy supports PODER makes ME a Cathy hater. Only a h-a-t-e-r of the people of Santa Barbara would utter these ugly words: "I'm going to vote to take away your parking. The pain that my decision will cause you you're going to suffer." - Cathy Murillo Who would vote for such a horrible person?

Edhat Staff Nov 04, 2017 09:30 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

Gallup never got back to us about conducting a "serious poll" so we settled for our own. -edhat staff

kkinsb Nov 03, 2017 10:05 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

I can't believe any homeowner in this city or anyone who grew up in Santa Barbara would vote for Murillo. She is the driving force behind the AUD and building more apartments as quickly as possible no matter the cost to the neighborhoods and the homeowners who live there. Doesn't matter how big and ugly the buildings are, that there is no parking for the new residents or for the people who already live there. Just build build build and worry about infrastructure later, you know, after you've turn SB into IV and crime has skyrocketed, tourist dollars have dissipated because the city has lost its charm and property tax dollars have dwindled because homeowners have fled and all that is left are renters, who are still 2-3 families to an apartment because they can't afford the rents on all these new high end AUD apartments. That's Murillo's plan.

a-1511225586 Nov 04, 2017 01:32 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

Murillo is not the "driving force" behind the AUD. She was not one of the "architects" of this program. I believe this program was conceived of in 2011, prior to Murillo's election to the city council. The fact of the matter is the entire city council and mayor had to vote on accepting this ordinance, it takes a majority, that is at least 4 out of 7 to pass any ordinance.

mattyboy Nov 03, 2017 08:52 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

Who votes for measure C? Our governments constantly demonstrate they can't be good stewards of our tax dollars, so we give them more?

new2sb Nov 03, 2017 05:43 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

Seems Angel was the only one that shined in the candidate Q&A, if you watched it. Hal and Murillo, at least could speak in complete sentences. But, they are part of the biggest campaign issues at hand, as current board members. Change will be good.

Flicka Nov 03, 2017 10:02 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

A-150, Your comment about voting for one only to keep the other out pretty much describes our latest presidential election. Sad state of affairs isn't it?

a-1511225586 Nov 03, 2017 04:14 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

Why in the h*ll would you want Bernie after everything that happened, what they did to him, and he just rolled over and joined the "Russia" train when really Trump was put in by the Clinton campaigns' shenanigans! I went to Bernie's rallies, even donated to his campaign (first and last time I will ever do that again) and voted for him. And I am disappointed in how he handled this and rolled over and didn't address it forcefully and head on especially considering how much he doesn't like Trump. WE don't need someone like him for President, glad my eyes were once again opened up!

a-1511225586 Nov 03, 2017 10:45 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

....which is exactly why Trump is our Pres. Since they knew HRC was a lock, Dems in states that have open primaries voted for "the worst" GOP candidate, which was Trump. A historic failure by the DNC, a catostrphic loss for the Dems, and why are you still in shock? Bernie WAS robbed, and Donna finally came clean this week. Bernie 2020!!! Go Murillo!!!

a-1511225586 Nov 03, 2017 09:09 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

Is there a more scientific poll being done somewhere? I'm interested in what Edhatters say, but this is not necessarily indicative of the general populace. And people can vote more than once, so, ya know.

a-1511225586 Nov 02, 2017 06:54 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

I personally doubt these current poll figures for District 5. It's pretty liberal. I voted for Friedman. Figured Mayor would be as split up as the field.

Pages