Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll title=

By Edhat Staff

Our local elections are right around the corner with all ballots being cast on Tuesday, November 7. The biggest debate that's taking place in the City of Santa Barbara is among the five candidates vying for Helene Schneider's mayor seat. Learn more about each candidate here.

Who will you be voting for? Take our edhat poll below!

Every City of Santa Barbara resident will also be voting on Measure C. The ballot states this Measure will maintain essential services and repair critical infrastructure for an additional sales tax of 1%. Although the ballot states it's a one-cent sales tax, creating some confusion among voters. The final verdict is that this is 1%, not a $0.01 sales tax increase.

Are you for or against Measure C?

Several districts throughout Santa Barbara City are voting for new City Council members. If you live in Districts 4, 5, or 6, who did you vote for?

District 4

District 5

District 6

Past Articles

a-1509654962 Nov 02, 2017 01:36 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

Nothing weird about dirty campaign ads, it's unfortunately the norm now. But don't confuse "attacks" with pointing out a candidate's weaknesses or ineptitude for a particular position.

nope Nov 02, 2017 02:46 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

The editing on that attack ad was terrible, if you're trying to make someone look bad don't edit your snippets so obviously that their words are clearly out of context.
Anyone swayed by that tactic is an imbecile.

a-1509659228 Nov 02, 2017 02:47 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

I don't understand all the posts online (mostly on the Indy) saying how we should all rally behind Murillo to avoid Hotchkiss winning. She is NOT leading any polls I've seen. She'd be a terrible mayor and I can't wrap my head around the whole idea of voting for an unqualified candidate that you don't want to be mayor just to keep an undesirable one (policy wise) out!

a-1509659440 Nov 02, 2017 02:50 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

I sure hope Conklin wins. He knows what Santa Barbarans really want, which is to keep our charm and keep all this rampant building/development as minimized as possible.

a-1509662131 Nov 02, 2017 03:35 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

Murillo just wants to punish those who do not agree with her. Must say though that the pics they used of her in the attack ad really make her look like a "slob." Does anyone know if she ditched her public support of PODER?

AverageJoe Nov 03, 2017 05:13 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

Wow, you're a class act approving of this misogynistic, mean spirited ad. Luckily most voters in Santa Barbara are brighter and more decent than you. Hope you're ready for election day when Cathy wins, in no small part helped by this stupid ad.

a-1509669910 Nov 02, 2017 05:45 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

I am happy to see this poll! Most excited to see a mad rush to the middle. Cathy and Frank are just too extreme for Santa Barbara, and would not be a good face for us. Hal or Angel will do just fine!
I saw the Cathy ad. Looks like those Micheltorena neighbors don't love Cathy. Good for them for showing the real Cathy to unsuspecting voters.

a-1509674040 Nov 02, 2017 06:54 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

I personally doubt these current poll figures for District 5. It's pretty liberal. I voted for Friedman.

Figured Mayor would be as split up as the field.

a-1509725372 Nov 03, 2017 09:09 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

Is there a more scientific poll being done somewhere? I'm interested in what Edhatters say, but this is not necessarily indicative of the general populace. And people can vote more than once, so, ya know.

Flicka Nov 03, 2017 10:02 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

A-150, Your comment about voting for one only to keep the other out pretty much describes our latest presidential election. Sad state of affairs isn't it?

a-1509731100 Nov 03, 2017 10:45 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

....which is exactly why Trump is our Pres. Since they knew HRC was a lock, Dems in states that have open primaries voted for "the worst" GOP candidate, which was Trump. A historic failure by the DNC, a catostrphic loss for the Dems, and why are you still in shock? Bernie WAS robbed, and Donna finally came clean this week. Bernie 2020!!! Go Murillo!!!

new2sb Nov 03, 2017 05:43 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

Seems Angel was the only one that shined in the candidate Q&A, if you watched it.

Hal and Murillo, at least could speak in complete sentences. But, they are part of the biggest campaign issues at hand, as current board members.

Change will be good.

mattyboy Nov 03, 2017 08:52 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

Who votes for measure C? Our governments constantly demonstrate they can't be good stewards of our tax dollars, so we give them more?

kkinsb Nov 03, 2017 10:05 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

I can't believe any homeowner in this city or anyone who grew up in Santa Barbara would vote for Murillo. She is the driving force behind the AUD and building more apartments as quickly as possible no matter the cost to the neighborhoods and the homeowners who live there. Doesn't matter how big and ugly the buildings are, that there is no parking for the new residents or for the people who already live there. Just build build build and worry about infrastructure later, you know, after you've turn SB into IV and crime has skyrocketed, tourist dollars have dissipated because the city has lost its charm and property tax dollars have dwindled because homeowners have fled and all that is left are renters, who are still 2-3 families to an apartment because they can't afford the rents on all these new high end AUD apartments. That's Murillo's plan.

a-1509784366 Nov 04, 2017 01:32 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

Murillo is not the "driving force" behind the AUD. She was not one of the "architects" of this program. I believe this program was conceived of in 2011, prior to Murillo's election to the city council. The fact of the matter is the entire city council and mayor had to vote on accepting this ordinance, it takes a majority, that is at least 4 out of 7 to pass any ordinance.

a-1509783158 Nov 04, 2017 01:12 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

This poll can not be taken seriously. I love you Edhat but it is way to easy to cheat and skew the results.
If you believe the results of this poll you are ill informed. I can not believe how many Cathy haters post their opinions constantly on every local website. This is a local campaign not Hillary or Bernie vs Donald. It has gotten way too spiteful and ugly. You all must feel threatened by her candidacy. I do not see such vicious things written about the other candidates. Time to play fair on the playground.

Edhat Staff Nov 04, 2017 09:30 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

Gallup never got back to us about conducting a "serious poll" so we settled for our own.
-edhat staff

a-1509814920 Nov 04, 2017 10:02 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

I guess the fact that Cathy supports PODER makes ME a Cathy hater.

Only a h-a-t-e-r of the people of Santa Barbara would utter these ugly words:

"I'm going to vote to take away your parking. The pain that my decision will cause you you're going to suffer." - Cathy Murillo

Who would vote for such a horrible person?

lifer Nov 04, 2017 10:51 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

Angel Martinez lives in Hope Ranch...how can he run for Mayor?...picked up a hi-density apt for appearance?

EastBeach Nov 04, 2017 01:39 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

This poll may be fun, but I wouldn't take it seriously. As someone else mentioned, it's very easy to vote multiple times for the same person. I suspect proponents of some candidates have figured that out judging by how some candidates numbers have spiked compared to everyone else's in the past 24 hours. It's also common for campaigns to run internet/social-media focus units - this poll would be a piece of cake to manipulate. Same goes for comment sections these days. I pine for the simpler days of the old Edhat and its community.

a-1509837688 Nov 04, 2017 04:21 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

Appears as if the winner of the mayoral race in SB will be either Conklin or Martinez according to their high polling number. The numbers for the other candidates show that they are too far behind to overtake either of these two front-runners. Cathy's numbers in particular are falling, and people on the Eastside are not going to vote for her "just because", nor are a high percentage of those on the Westside who she offended with her infamous on-video "you're going to feel the pain of my vote." I"m sure she'd like to take THAT one back, but too late once you show your true colors....on video no less!!!

a-1509898433 Nov 05, 2017 08:13 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

I live in the County and have for 80+ years. All I can do is watch this fiasco and keep my mouth shut...

a-1509901006 Nov 05, 2017 08:56 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

DIdn't Angel Martinez just build a huge home in Ojai? Where he lives in SB is just in order to run for Mayor. Better to support Murillo who cares about people's rights and the environment.

a-1509943960 Nov 05, 2017 08:52 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

Angel Martinez lives in downtown Santa Barbara, and has since before he thought about running for Mayor. He has never held public office and is only running because he cares about Santa Barbara, and has a track record of phenomenal life achievements to actually make progress happen with the bully pulpit of the mayor's office. If you were hiring someone to work for you (which we are all doing when we are voting for mayor), wouldn't you at least look at the record of achievement of who you are hiring? While the other candidates all have varying good qualities and backgrounds, Angel's accomplishments and life story make him look like LeBron James compared to the other candidates as high school basketball players. We are lucky to have a candidate with the skill set to really make a difference and who wants the job for all the right reasons, why not give him a shot at it? We can always go back to the same ol' same ol' next time around, but this is a unique opportunity to change our city for the better!

lifer Nov 06, 2017 06:01 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

So he got a place in town to qualify as a candidate for Mayor? So far the logic for supporting this candidate is that his past business career will successfully translate into good things for our community? Why does he start with supporting the 13% hike in our Sales Tax?? Pro-solutions should mean lower taxes and less frivolous spending. Tax and Spend is the go-go approach Obama Admin used to flail us into massive debt.

a-1510028962 Nov 06, 2017 08:29 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

I don't believe that the only reason that Angel Martinez is running for mayor is because he cares about Santa Barbara there are other reasons. Maybe you should have left that out of your sales pitch.

CivilEngineer Nov 08, 2017 08:29 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

If his only experience was in running Decker's to qualify him as mayor, how is that working out now? Decker's stock is going downhill fast. They are basically a one product business and that product's popularity has peaked, just like the pet rock craze.

When you see a business build a really expensive new headquarters, that is a sign that they have peaked.

ginger1 Nov 06, 2017 06:23 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

"The final verdict is that this is 1%, not a $0.01 sales tax increase." Nope. Still wrong. It is a whopping **13%** increase!! But they try to sell it as a 1 cent increase. But nice try.

SBPaul Nov 07, 2017 04:18 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

Yes A-1510100124, can you do the math on 1cent added to %8.75 sales tax. Its a 13% increase. Your right when you only buy a gallon of milk its 1 cent extra. When you do business its a 13% increase in your sales tax... Since most people can't do math 1 cent seems to sound pretty reasonable.

a-1510156094 Nov 08, 2017 07:48 AM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

Actually, Ginger and SBPaul, I was just stating why they say it is one cent. I voted against it. I think 8.75% is too high for sales tax. Aren't we supposed to be encouraging people to buy locally? I know the city needs the money, but I didn't like this general measure. It is one cent on the dollar, and a 13% increase over the current sales tax. Both are true. Just depends how you phrase it.

a-1510156105 Nov 08, 2017 07:48 AM

a-1510156241 Nov 08, 2017 07:50 AM

SBPaul Nov 08, 2017 04:39 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

Please remember that edhat does not automatically refresh once you submit your comment. I believe you have placed your signature quadruple click in more than one of our exchanges and I hate to see the comment stats get out of whack.

Ducky Nov 07, 2017 04:08 PM
Santa Barbara Mayor Voter Poll

I’m NOT voting for Murillo. But, in all fairness, I can’t believe there’s anyone who’s taking that commercial seriously. It so, so badly edited and spliced together. Just all together badly done.

Pages