Santa Barbara is Now a Smoke-Free City title=

Source: Santa Barbara City

The City adopted a new law prohibiting smoking in outdoor public areas to provide a healthy, family-friendly, and clean environment for residents and visitors. Smoke-free outdoor areas will reduce cigarette butt litter, lower the risk of fires, and limit public exposure to secondhand smoke. Smoking is prohibited in the following areas:
  • Beaches
  • Parks, including sports fields, open spaces, and trails
  • Sidewalks and paseos citywide in commercial and residential areas
  • City parking structures and lots
  • Stearns Wharf
  • Outdoor restaurant patios before 10:00 p.m.
  • Outdoor recreational areas and sports facilities, community centers, and library plazas
  • Events open to the public
Smoking is defined to include tobacco, marijuana, and electronic vaping devices. The law is currently in effect with signage planned for installation on sidewalks and other outdoor areas in early 2018. The City will use verbal warnings and public education as the primary means of enforcement. Your cooperation is appreciated.
For more information and frequently asked questions, visit SantaBarbaraCA.gov/Smoking.

a-1511450104 Oct 29, 2017 06:19 AM
Santa Barbara is Now a Smoke-Free City

Funny how they omitted 1 area that smoking is permitted.... The SB Municipal Golf Course.... even though it's an outdoor recreational area that's also open to the public.... This thing is all BS! SB wants to take away freedoms of it's citizens........ Funny how the City Council addresses this yet ignores the real problems that haunt citizens.....the homeless who litter the streets with feces, urine and garbage... and smoke anywhere they want.... who set up camp on our sidewalks and aggressively panhandle anyone who walks nearby......and How about the large number of vacancies on State Street...

new2sb Oct 29, 2017 11:00 AM
Santa Barbara is Now a Smoke-Free City

Several, two public companies, a hand full of private start-ups, and one nationally known non-profit. Now, understand I will watch this website and rip every foolish post you make as I have not seen one productive comment from you.

new2sb Oct 29, 2017 11:01 AM

new2sb Oct 29, 2017 11:01 AM

new2sb Oct 29, 2017 06:56 PM
Santa Barbara is Now a Smoke-Free City

BTW, if you look, I was not the person whom typed your handle incorrectly nor called you an "idiot" that, was another keen commenter, not me! Take a closer look!

420722 Oct 28, 2017 09:13 PM
Santa Barbara is Now a Smoke-Free City

Yep and you can’t even type my handle correctly. Do tell us what have you provided to this board besides one stupid comment?

new2sb Oct 28, 2017 07:44 PM
Santa Barbara is Now a Smoke-Free City

Not sure what a pino rental is. But, if you folks have been a board, I should be on it. I do have experience with that. I shall keep coming to these meetings in case there shall be a vote.

JB86 Oct 28, 2017 06:23 PM
Santa Barbara is Now a Smoke-Free City

I don't get why vaping is included in this ordinance. There is zero data showing second-hand vapor is harmful, either indoors or outside. When we start making laws based on suppositions and personal preferences, not facts, data and science, it is a slippery slope. Then there are those dangerous bar-b-qs and fireplaces, diesel engines. Why do we allow them?

a-1511450105 Oct 28, 2017 07:05 PM
Santa Barbara is Now a Smoke-Free City

I was wondering the same thing, about fireplaces and other sources of pollution. Thanks for mentioning that.

photootto Oct 28, 2017 02:15 PM
Santa Barbara is Now a Smoke-Free City

i hope this applies to tobacco smoking at the food concession area at the Santa Barbara Bowl. It is the designated smoking area of the Bowl and it's nasty. The Bowl is county owned and should be considered a county park or recreation area. here here

jsavell Oct 28, 2017 12:40 PM
Santa Barbara is Now a Smoke-Free City

If homeless people don't stop smoking can they pay a $155 fine? If they can't pay the fine can we throw them out of the city permanently?

a-1511450105 Oct 28, 2017 07:09 PM
Santa Barbara is Now a Smoke-Free City

ROTFLMAO! about the correction. Just reinforces the snark of the poster, who may be in a Pini rental in SB.

Roger Oct 28, 2017 12:48 PM
Santa Barbara is Now a Smoke-Free City

No they get tickets which go to warrant after about a dozen of them then they go on vacation at County jail get fed, cleaned, sleep legally on your dime Thanks Taxpayers...

a-1511450105 Oct 27, 2017 09:03 PM
Santa Barbara is Now a Smoke-Free City

By PAUL ROGERS Bay Area News Group PUBLISHED: October 6, 2017 ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________- on Friday Gov. Jerry Brown vetoed two bills that would have banned smoking at all state beaches and state parks in California. “If people can’t even smoke on a deserted beach, where can they?” Brown wrote in a veto message. “There must be some limit to the coercive power of government.” _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ well done, guv'nor. More please. (I'm a liberal)

a-1511450105 Oct 27, 2017 08:52 PM
Santa Barbara is Now a Smoke-Free City

I wholeheartedly agree with the intent of this law but I saw firsthand how this did not work at SBCC so I sincerely doubt it will work in the city itself. People who smoke will smoke when and where they want.

new2sb Oct 27, 2017 08:32 PM
Santa Barbara is Now a Smoke-Free City

The point is simple, Santa Barbara has far worse ills that need addressing! For instance, a dying downtown. As one reader pointed out many of the Asian and European tourists smoke! Did I not just read that nearly $2B was generated by these visitors! Perhaps they will MOVE too!

Always_Running Oct 27, 2017 08:08 PM
Santa Barbara is Now a Smoke-Free City

Upon reading the city’s website your still allowed to smoke in your car(driving down state street) and are stil able to smoke on privately owned land & private parking lots.

a-1511450105 Oct 27, 2017 07:41 PM
Santa Barbara is Now a Smoke-Free City

It is so funny how many people are having Tantrums about this! There are a lot of cities that don't allow smoking in their downtown areas and public parks and those cities are usually cleaner and people are more courteous. It also will help reduce some of the drama that's going on with the homeless people downtown. There is more to it than just preventing smokers from polluting non-smokers air.

a-1511450105 Oct 27, 2017 09:04 PM
Santa Barbara is Now a Smoke-Free City

and a careful courteous occasional smoker. I have never been asked to stop -- I go too far away in public. (I often did, and rarely do, smoke after a meal out or while having drinks.)

new2sb Oct 27, 2017 08:52 PM
Santa Barbara is Now a Smoke-Free City

Simply absurd...people who don't smoke are more courteous? Drama will be reduced? Perhaps, the drama will be increased when you have peace officers giving tickets to the poor homeless people downtown! What science are you using to calculator these notions.

REX OF SB Oct 27, 2017 04:58 PM
Santa Barbara is Now a Smoke-Free City

I'd rather see them ban those horrible street sweepers. They plod down the streets in a HUGE cloud of dust and other effluvia they allegedly sweep. Try going past one in an open convertible some time. They're far worse than leaf blowers.

a-1511450105 Oct 27, 2017 04:55 PM
Santa Barbara is Now a Smoke-Free City

Hooray. About time. I was going to down vote the pro-ciggie and negative comments, but why would I deprive other Edhat readers of the right to see just how many people are callously uncaring and true idiots about secondhand smoke?*********For those of us who don't enjoy breathing in nasty cigarette smoke chemicals, this is a wonderful ban. How silly that it had to be a ban in the first place. Too bad cigarette smoking people are so ----- is it arrogance or just pure ignorance?----lame about assaulting non-smokers with their addiction. Good on ya City.

Daklathen Oct 27, 2017 04:20 PM
Santa Barbara is Now a Smoke-Free City

Slow news day, Edhat? Gotta bring this back up again despite the policy going into effect back in September... I quit smoking over 4 years ago thanks to electronic cigarettes. While I understand how annoying it is to have smoke/vape gust through downtown while you are trying to enjoy SB, I just don't understand why we need to have an official "law" which encourages enforcement through verbal warnings. What happened to just being courteous of those around you? If you don't like people smoking where you are eating/standing/walking, ask them to smoke somewhere else. If you don't like people bugging you when you smoke/vape, go do it somewhere else. Dip around a corner or into an alley, go where there aren't open-air restaurants or children. I'll quit vaping in public the day someone shows up with ANY study that actually shows second-hand vapor causing health issues in an open-air setting (or even in-doors). So far no such studies have concluded actual harm. Hell, most studies show minimal-to-no negative impact from vaping anyway. In the mean time I will keep being courteous with my habits and expect others to do the same.

420722 Oct 27, 2017 03:56 PM
Santa Barbara is Now a Smoke-Free City

Good grief, what time is our curfew? I shouldn’t even say that it’ll probably be up next for discussion at city hall.

Pages