Santa Barbara City Council Votes to Require Masks Inside Certain Businesses
Source: City of Santa Barbara
To prevent the spread of COVID-19, the Santa Barbara City Council voted to require the public and employees to wear masks or face coverings in certain businesses. Implementation will begin on May 1, 2020. The following is a list of businesses affected:
- Pharmacies and drug stores;
- Grocery stores, farm and produce stands, supermarkets, convenience stores, warehouse stores, food banks, certified farmers' markets and other establishments engaged in the retail sale of canned food, dry goods, fresh fruits and vegetables, water, pet food and pet medication supply (but not grooming or training), fresh or frozen meats, fish, and poultry, or any other household consumer products (such as construction supplies, cleaning and personal care products);
- Organizations and businesses that provide food or other services to the public;
- Hardware and building supply stores, and nurseries;
- Laundromats, dry cleaners, and laundry service providers;
- Restaurants and retail food facilities that prepare and offer food to customers via pick up or drive-through;
- Taxis, ride sharing services, car rental companies, and other private transportation services. The Santa Barbara Metropolitan Transit District is encouraged to address driver and passenger safety through the use of face masks; and
- Hotels and motels, in publicly-accessible areas.
Businesses shall prohibit the entry of any person not wearing a face mask. A business may provide face masks to customers without charge or make them available for purchase. A business shall provide face masks without charge for the use of its workers.
Face masks may include cloth masks, scarves, bandanas or other face coverings over the mouth and nose of a person. The masks do not need to be N95 or surgical masks. Reusable face masks used by covered business workers must be washed and sanitized daily. For further details and to read the emergency order, click here.
Questions about how to comply with the order can be emailed to [email protected].