Rollover Vehicle Crash on E. Valley Road title=

By an edhat reader

Around 10:30 p.m. [Wednesday], I heard a huge crash outside my house on East Valley Road. A man was driving east on the 192 and crashed his car landing on its side into a wall.

I ran up to the car and talked to him and talked to him until cops, firefighters, and EMS showed up.

I watched them work to get him out for about 45 mins.

a-1558616211 Mar 09, 2019 03:17 AM
Rollover Vehicle Crash on E. Valley Road

LILYPEYTON. Thank you for being a caring person and making sure this driver stayed put and calm. You did the right thing. I once found myself in a similar situation. A woman with her very young child was driving along in front of me on a local street, passing through an intersection. Our route had no stop designated. Another driver came along, down quite a long downhill-inclined street, ran a stop sign (doing about 25 mph or more) and slammed into the woman's car directly in front of me. Upon impact, the car in front of me spun around and came to rest up against a power pole. I quickly ran to check on the car and driver at the pole. Astoundingly, in their somewhat t-boned car, the woman and child appeared to be perfectly okay, albeit understandably shook up. As one might expect, the woman's first reaction was to get out of her car. I told her to stay put, that help was en route and that her child, secured in a back safety seat, appeared to be unharmed. I gave the woman my name and written phone number and told her I would be a witness, if needed, in court. SBPD was on the spot with lightning speed. I left and sometime later was indeed called as a witness. The driver who ran the stop sign lied and said she had definitely applied her brakes. I was there to state that it was my belief that she had never even seen the stop sign and that her foot had never touched the brake. I am sure the insurance adjusters had already come to the same conclusion. Amazingly, I never heard anything more about the case. There was no contact of any kind from the woman whose car had been hit. Years later it still feels good to know that I was there for someone in need and was able to help. I hope you feel good about your own kindly act, as well you should.

a-1558616211 Mar 08, 2019 12:00 PM
Rollover Vehicle Crash on E. Valley Road

How am I the bad guy for warning against possibly defamatory comments? All I'm saying is be aware of what comments like that can mean for someone who is clearly in distress and recognizable by the photos that were taken and posted here. I'm not trying to be mean or snarky, just please consider the impact of repeatedly saying this man was intoxicated.

Flicka Mar 08, 2019 11:31 AM
Rollover Vehicle Crash on E. Valley Road

Thank you, Lily, for your compassion. People question your statement of possible alcohol or drugs being involved. I'll bet, like me, you have enough life experience to know when someone has been using something.

Luvaduck Mar 08, 2019 07:41 AM
Rollover Vehicle Crash on E. Valley Road

Oh for heavens sake. Leave Lily alone. She was there; you weren't. You're entitled to alibi the entire world if you want, but you're not entitled to jump all over other people's observations.

a-1558616211 Mar 08, 2019 08:28 AM
Rollover Vehicle Crash on E. Valley Road

Out of respect for the victim in this crash, her "observations" (which she presented as conclusions of fact in multiple posts here) should have avoided any diagnosis of this person's mental state.

a-1558616211 Mar 07, 2019 02:26 PM
Rollover Vehicle Crash on E. Valley Road

It was an accident! Stop trying to make it anymore than that. Be glad he lived and it wasn't your family member. Then get back inside your Glass House of judgement and speculations! Why couldn't it be something like he swerved to avoid an animal instead of trying to make it like he broke the law? Just asking? Have a great day and may you never have such an accident that people make up crap about you!

LadyLove3816 Mar 07, 2019 06:07 PM
Rollover Vehicle Crash on E. Valley Road

I ask for the purpose of learning from the situation. I’m not familiar with the area, and I’m a fairly new mother and if I am ever in a position of driving in that area with my child and the factor was due to over correcting and or speed I would like to know to be more cautious when driving there. My apologies if I came off as disrespectful in any way, no matter what the circumstances I am very sorry to hear about this accident and every accident and I’m very glad that he survived and I also think that he was very lucky to have the OP there by his side.

LilyPeyton Mar 07, 2019 03:44 PM
Rollover Vehicle Crash on E. Valley Road

When speaking to the man it was very obvious that he was either drunk or under the influence of a drug. I am happy he got out alive and to the eye seemed okay and that he didn't hurt anyone else. I am not a cop nor an investigator so we will never actually know what really happened. I am just thankful that I could help and thankful for the first responders.

LadyLove3816 Mar 07, 2019 02:20 PM
Rollover Vehicle Crash on E. Valley Road

@OP-I know this question was already asked, and perhaps due to the crash being under investigation and/or respect for privacy of the driver you have not replied ; But you stated that you had talked to him for quite a while. Did he tell you how it happened? Or do you know what happened? Or were you maybe just trying to keep him calm and coherent? Understandable if you don’t feel the need to comment. I appreciate you reporting this and I think that was very thoughtful of you to be there with him. Not many people do that anymore. I’m sure that meant a lot to him.

LilyPeyton Mar 07, 2019 04:36 PM
Rollover Vehicle Crash on E. Valley Road

Listen everyone is human and this guy was in need of help and support and I was there to help him. He is not a bad guy and like I said I am not a cop nor investigator I know nothing more then what I experienced. I am very happy he will make a good recovery. I will now not say another word about this matter

a-1558616211 Mar 07, 2019 04:31 PM
Rollover Vehicle Crash on E. Valley Road

Lily - so you heard him say he was drunk or high? I'm just wondering because it would be a shame to say such a think when he may have only been in shock from this terrible accident. It's a small town and people can see who he is on here. Just trying to be "impartial."

LilyPeyton Mar 07, 2019 04:14 PM
Rollover Vehicle Crash on E. Valley Road

There are so many possibilities in this world. I saw and heard what I heard. There is no right or wrong here. I thank you for your input.

a-1558616211 Mar 07, 2019 03:56 PM
Rollover Vehicle Crash on E. Valley Road

Lilypeyton - how do you know he was "drunk or under the influence of some drug?" Did he tell you? Are you trained in making such a conclusion? Could he just have been in shock? Thank you for what you did for him, but please be careful what you say about someone's state online. Just please be prudent :)

LilyPeyton Mar 07, 2019 03:37 PM
Rollover Vehicle Crash on E. Valley Road

Thank you for being so kind. Yes I did talk to him but he would not tell me what happened. He asked for help and was trying to get out of the car himself but was stuck. I just tried to calm him down and make sure he didn't move so he wouldn't injure himself more. Unfortunately though he was either drunk or under the influence of some drug. Very sad. I am happy he didn't hurt anyone else and will be okay.

CoastWatch Mar 07, 2019 10:22 AM
Rollover Vehicle Crash on E. Valley Road

it's more than speed, if you are TEXTING or have your eyes off the road for a few seconds, even at low to normal speeds and you OVER CORRECT, it's very easy to roll a vehicle. I wish insurance companies would do what is done in Canada and review the policy holders cell records- If there is any evidence of texting, they don't pay out.

pstarSR Mar 07, 2019 03:24 PM
Rollover Vehicle Crash on E. Valley Road

very correct as far as "abrupt maneuvers" in SUV's, I worked in auto crash research and safety for years. it doesnt take speed, or much to get a high CG vehicle to flip. we tested vechicles that tipped up at 30mph, from a basic avoidance maneuver. BUT that being said, I was also involved in mandating stability control on all SUV's model year 2014+ so if this land rover ( which it is ) is new, ( which it looks ) it had stability control mandated. let alone most luxury brands had that safety feature standard years before. So this was more than likely a distracted driver, tired driver, or something else.

a-1558616211 Mar 07, 2019 10:46 AM
Rollover Vehicle Crash on E. Valley Road

Sorry CW but it takes a lot more than simple over correcting to flip a car over. I've been driving for over 40 years, had my share of accidents and mishaps but NEVER even came close to flipping or rolling over. That's why this novel scourge of single vehicle rollovers is so anathema to me.

horsegirl Mar 07, 2019 11:07 AM
Rollover Vehicle Crash on E. Valley Road

government reports state that excessive speed was a factor in only 40% of fatal rollover accidents. unfortunately i have been unable to find any data on rollover accidents without fatalities but i think the information is still relevant. there is much more to rollovers than speed alone.