Report of Couple Abusing a Dog

Animal abusers dragging a dog in the 400 Block of West Mission.

Lucky 777 Jan 05, 2018 12:32 PM
Report of Couple Abusing a Dog

These days the best option would be to call the police and then from a safe distance use a cell phone to document with video that can be given to the police in case the situation looks normal when they arrive and it is your word against the perp jerks.

SBPaul Jan 05, 2018 09:56 AM
Report of Couple Abusing a Dog

confirmation bias. I did not assume it but when i read "did the pit bull bite anyone" from the anonymous post it just fit into the typical narrative. Great example of how misinformation starts. Thanks for catching that and for reminder about making assumptions.

Flicka Jan 05, 2018 09:02 AM
Report of Couple Abusing a Dog

Scary to get in the middle of it. Possibly get punched. Taking a video with the phone and reporting it sounds like the best bet.

Sprigofsage Jan 05, 2018 08:37 AM
Report of Couple Abusing a Dog

Sickens me. Just like child abuse. Only animals seem less resilient than kids. Poor dog.

Roger Jan 05, 2018 09:12 AM
Report of Couple Abusing a Dog

Someone called the police because the call went over the scanner and the police responded perhaps they were afraid of getting involved in a Domestic involving a male yelling at his girlfriend and dragging a dog by the leash. Recently several police officers armed with guns were shot and one died trying to stop a domestic dispute. Sometimes people do not get involved not everyone has money or carries weapons to protect themselves, or can keep themselves from going to jail when the tables are turned on them especially when most mates who are abused turn on their rescuers, Sometimes bystanders end up dead by trying to save someone else...Think long and hard before getting involved the SBPD though some give them shit for how they do their jobs are very professional in the treatment of people and the prevention of situations becoming worse...They are professionals I would not get involved unless there was no other way there have been times when I did not get involved at all though I observe. If I think or see abuse I usually call let the professionals deal with it.

a-1515125431 Jan 04, 2018 08:10 PM
Report of Couple Abusing a Dog

Bystanders need to do more than just report it, they need to grab the dog and remove them from the abuser! Would you just sit there and watch somebody punching their kid or would you go get in the middle and make it stop? I'm a small woman but I would have to get involved in make it stop

a-1515197121 Jan 05, 2018 04:05 PM
Report of Couple Abusing a Dog

"And you will find yourself with charges against you and likely a civil suit if you do so. Animals are property under the law. You may want to rethink your "attitude" before you end up with lots of trouble on your hands."

You may actually want to learn about the law. Animals aren't *just* property ... there are legal limitations on how they can be treated.

a-1515196887 Jan 05, 2018 04:01 PM
Report of Couple Abusing a Dog

It's often unwise to get in the middle of such things, and police advise against it. That said, I once saw a man in a car preventing a woman in tears from leaving the car, and I distracted him enough for her to get out. Later the police came by, interviewed them and me, and I believe they arrested him.

horsegirl Jan 05, 2018 10:39 AM

1. saying all 3 is redundant if you already said and/or
2. I'd consider it optimistic, because hey, it could save a life. you never know
3. again, like i said, i, like most people would not come in there fists flying so i really doubt i'd be sued. i obviously have self preservation skills so i would base any intervention on the situation and do what is best based on the information presented, but i would truly try to help out whoever needs it. i truly hope someday that you don't need someone to intervene on your behalf, and I especially hope that if something is happening to me you aren't the only person around to help

a-1515175089 Jan 05, 2018 09:58 AM
Report of Couple Abusing a Dog

If you would have "gotten involved" you'd likely be bit, punched and/or sued or all 3. You call the police and that's that.

a-1515174754 Jan 05, 2018 09:52 AM
Report of Couple Abusing a Dog

Horsegirl - Are you serious?? You "always carry a bit of cash" with you just in case you see someone abusing a dog? Jeezus, could you be any more of a pessimist?

horsegirl Jan 05, 2018 08:52 AM
Report of Couple Abusing a Dog

I highly doubt that attempting to intervene would lead to charges being filed. What do you think this small woman is gonna do... jump in with fists flying? Bystanders like you is why people get away with this so often so maybe you should reassess your attitude. Sometimes all it takes is a simple offer of help and they may be willing to give up the dog, especially in a fit of anger directed at the animal. I know I always carry a bit of cash with me just in case I see someone abusing the dog and I can bribe them to give it to me. Yeah it sucks to give them money and seemingly reward them for their behavior, but if it saves a life it’s worth it to me

horsegirl Jan 05, 2018 08:52 AM