Remains of Missing Lompoc Man Discovered Near Gaviota Tunnel title=
John Mario Fuegos (courtesy photo)
Reads 12070

Update by Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office
August 16, 2021

On Sunday, August 15, 2021, at around 5:00 a.m. officers from the California Highway Patrol were conducting a traffic collision investigation along the northbound lanes of Highway 101 just north of the Gaviota tunnel when they discovered a motorcycle and a deceased male in the bushes. A records check revealed the motorcycle was associated with missing person, John Mario Fuegos of Lompoc.

After further examination, it was confirmed that the deceased male was John Mario Fuegos. Next of kin has been notified of Mr. Fuegos’ death.

The California Highway Patrol is investigating the fatal motorcycle collision.

Update by Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office
June 4, 2021

Sheriff’s Detectives have received updated information about the motorcycle associated with missing person, John Mario Fuegos of Lompoc.

Detectives shared initial information about this case yesterday, and would like to share an updated description of the motorcycle Fuegos was riding along with a photo of a similar motorcycle.

Fuegos was last seen on Monday, May 24, 2021 at around 11:00 p.m. when he left his residence riding a black 2008 Yamaha R1 with a license plate 23W0957. The Yamaha R1 had sections of the plastic fairing removed around the front end. The photo below looks similar to Fuegos’ motorcycle.

Anyone who might have seen John Mario Fuegos or know his possible whereabouts is encouraged to contact the Criminal Investigations Bureau at (805)681-4150. You can also call the anonymous tip line at (805)681-4171, or submit information online at sbsheriff.org/home/anonymous-tip .

Source: Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office
June 3, 2021

Sheriff’s detectives are reaching out to the public for assistance in locating a missing Lompoc man. On Friday, May 28, 2021 at approximately 3:00 p.m., the wife of 50-year-old John Mario Fuegos reported him missing with the Lompoc Police Department. Fuegos reportedly left his residence in Lompoc around 11:00 p.m. on Monday, May 24, 2021, riding a black 2003 Suzuki (unknown model) motorcycle with a California license plate 22P6615. Fuegos’ intended destination was in Arizona, but at around 3:00 a.m. on Tuesday, May 25, 2021, he texted his family to say that he was in Filmore and would be heading back home. Fuegos sent his family another text message at around 6:00 a.m. on Tuesday, May 25, 2021 and he has not been heard from since.

On Tuesday, June 1, 2021, Fuegos’ wife contacted Sheriff’s Dispatch and requested that deputes check the highways for any sign of Fuegos or his motorcycle. Deputies drove along Highway 101 and Highway 1, while CHP Air Support searched the same area from the air, but Fuegos was not located.

On Wednesday, June 2, 2021, based on cell phone records, deputies searched the area of Toro Canyon Road, San Ysidro, Highway 192 and Highway 101 on the ground while CHP Air Support searched the same area from above. Unfortunately, neither Fuegos nor his motorcycle were located.

Fuegos’ cell phone records indicate that he possibly spent several hours at the Jack-In-The-Box restaurant on Citrus Drive in Ventura in the early morning hours of May 25, 2021, but detectives were unable to locate him on any of the video surveillance at that location.

Detectives are now reaching out to our community for assistance. John Mario Fuegos was last seen wearing motorcycle type clothing and riding a black Suzuki street bike with a California license plate 22P6615. Anyone who might have seen him or know his possible whereabouts is encouraged to contact the Criminal Investigations Bureau at (805)681-4150. You can also call the anonymous tip line at (805)681-4171, or submit information online at sbsheriff.org/home/anonymous-tip .

CoastWatch Jun 03, 2021 07:22 PM
Remains of Missing Lompoc Man Discovered Near Gaviota Tunnel

Thanks for this more detailed information...First thing I thought of was maybe he took HWY 150 to 192 like most M/C riders... Perhaps he had a run in with someone in Ventura that wanted to trade their shopping cart for a M/C... I this gets resolved for the family- Godspeed

sfgac055 Jun 04, 2021 10:22 AM
Remains of Missing Lompoc Man Discovered Near Gaviota Tunnel

I agree about 150 to 192. Several hours at a Jack in the Box and no sighting of him on surveillance seems odd, like someone else possibly had his phone? I won't speculate further out of respect to him and his family, hoping for a positive outcome.

cwazny Jun 08, 2021 01:24 PM
Remains of Missing Lompoc Man Discovered Near Gaviota Tunnel

Thanks NAVIGATOR. I think that it bears mentioning that this guy is a violent criminal. He was arrested only a little over a year ago on an armed robbery charge. I doubt whether the issue has been resolved. But, either way, it is doubtful that he was allowed to leave the state.

JoggerJoe Aug 16, 2021 08:24 PM
Remains of Missing Lompoc Man Discovered Near Gaviota Tunnel

So sad. I hope finding out the outcome teaches those who speculated and especially those who find it necessary to dig up info on people's past! Then posting it while they are missing a and their families are worried! I hope Saint Navigator has no skeletons in his closet if they go missing. Why does it matter to anyone what crime he was accused of a year ago? He wasn't a Wanted Man, he was Missing! Stop dragging people when they are literally down. Just ask yourself...if I go missing do I want people digging up my past or helping find me?

CoastWatch Aug 16, 2021 09:16 PM
Remains of Missing Lompoc Man Discovered Near Gaviota Tunnel

This is on CHP- They should have had a Helo Search coordinated between Lompoc and Ventura the day after he was missing- I'm so disgusted with the 1/2 ass policing from CHP and SB County Sheriff's Dept. This is so bad- Welcome to the Third World Country of California.

SB_TAHOE Aug 17, 2021 10:22 AM

From Noozhawk:
"Deputies drove along Highway 101 and Highway 1, while a California Highway Patrol helicopter searched the area from the air, but Fuegos was not located.

Guided by cell phone records, deputies and the CHP helicopter searched the Toro Canyon Road area, San Ysidro Road, Highway 192 and Highway 101 on June 2, but did not locate Fuegos."

Sail380 Aug 17, 2021 02:44 PM
Remains of Missing Lompoc Man Discovered Near Gaviota Tunnel

Say What CoastWatch? I'm guessing you have never been outside to enjoy our natural environment. That area next to the creek has dense enough vegetation to hide a motorcycle and rider from the air or road.
Welcome to the Third World armchair quarterbacking of CoastWatch

Sodoggonecute Aug 21, 2021 05:03 AM
Remains of Missing Lompoc Man Discovered Near Gaviota Tunnel

You are so correct Sir. My husband laid out there to die while LPD AND SBSO did nothing to help. It makes me sick the thought of him being out there night after night. Officers have NO right to put there ego's, personal dislikes or judge any of us. Just do what you signed up for PROTECT AND SERVE. You failed my husband, pray they don't fail one of your family members. RIP JOHN YOU WILL BE SO MISSED!

Sodoggonecute Aug 21, 2021 05:08 AM
Remains of Missing Lompoc Man Discovered Near Gaviota Tunnel

Its hard to see the obvious crash marks on the curb or broken bike parts on the side of the road when your going 70 mph in the fast lane officer. If only the time could have been taken to actually get out and walk a little and look for him instead of misleading the public that your looking for him when he had been missing already 9 weeks and STILL his license plate to his motorcycle was NOT listed in the system as a missing person. SO SO SAD!

SB_TAHOE Aug 17, 2021 10:15 AM
Remains of Missing Lompoc Man Discovered Near Gaviota Tunnel

As a motorcyclist, this story is agonizing. What if he crashed by no fault of his own (an animal ran out in front of him?) and was critically injured but not killed, no one saw the incident, and he laid there for days until he died? His loved ones have been wondering what happened to him for months! And now they know he died alone, after potentially suffering for hours or days. It's really tragic.
By the way Coastwatch, using this sad story as a reason to insult local law enforcement and California is revolting. So self-absorbed. Shame on you.

SBSand Aug 17, 2021 10:30 AM
Remains of Missing Lompoc Man Discovered Near Gaviota Tunnel

Agree! Horribly sad situation and Coastwatch is misguided and inappropriate. So many times an accident and body is found long after a crash happened because bushes, plants, rocks, etc obscure the view. Often an accident is found exactly how this one was, because another accident happened in the vicinity and while investigating it the old accident is located. :(

a-1629221639 Aug 17, 2021 10:33 AM
Remains of Missing Lompoc Man Discovered Near Gaviota Tunnel

What COASTWATCH wrote is unnecessary, but what you're doing isn't kind either. Why paint such a depressing, speculative picture of his death, when we actually know nothing about it? Why put the idea out there that he suffered terribly, on a public forum for the family to see? What is the point? It is sad and tragic no matter the circumstances.

100572P Aug 17, 2021 02:17 PM
Remains of Missing Lompoc Man Discovered Near Gaviota Tunnel

really? That thought did not cross your mind until you read it? We always lambast folks for vocalizing "ugly" thoughts, but realistically it does not matter if it was vocalized. The tragedy is the tragedy and I guarantee the family has already had those thoughts. Reading them changes nothing, and if they are on a public forum reading comments about a loved ones death, they are gluttons for punishment. Everyone knows the public can be a bunch of callous keyboard ninjas. I am glad they found him. Regardless of his past, he was loved by someone and they deserve closure. Finding a missing person/body is not as easy as one (coastwatch) would think. That is a HUGE area to cover! We have an amazing Search and Rescue team. I owe them a lifetime of thanks for my own personal tragedy.

Sodoggonecute Aug 21, 2021 04:49 AM
Remains of Missing Lompoc Man Discovered Near Gaviota Tunnel

With all do respect I am sure search and rescue are amazing group of people. However they were not called out for my husband because "the area was to large" or was it because the authorities had the same opinion as "NAVAGATOR". RIP JOHN YOU WILL BE MISSED WE LOVE YOU

JB86 Aug 17, 2021 06:50 PM
Remains of Missing Lompoc Man Discovered Near Gaviota Tunnel

All-around sad story, but criticism of law enforcement is entirely unwarranted. Sheriffs and CHP respond to every missing person in the same serious manner. My guess is that Coastwatch has no clue and never listens to the scanner. Talk about what you know, not what you imagine.

Sodoggonecute Aug 21, 2021 05:18 AM
Remains of Missing Lompoc Man Discovered Near Gaviota Tunnel

Well JB86 I will gladly talk about what I know. I know that NOT all missing person cases are treated the same, I know that my husband was grossly disrespected by the authorities and was NOT looked for in the same manner, I know that if it was the Sheriffs family member or the Chiefs family member they would of been found that same day. I know my husband is DEAD and he is loved more than you can EVER imagine. Now i will leave the imagining to you and if it was one of your family members

bicyclist Aug 21, 2021 07:45 AM
Remains of Missing Lompoc Man Discovered Near Gaviota Tunnel

SDGC - I commented when this was "Updated", as what I read was rather perplexed at the wording... Nothing I can offer will "Help with the pain inflected due to the OBVIOUS lack of caring" of SBCS (or what was posted here)... So people (self) actually care & have feelings as well, I cannot fathom what that 9 weeks did to YOUR life. Just know "You are not alone".

bicyclist Aug 22, 2021 07:50 AM
Remains of Missing Lompoc Man Discovered Near Gaviota Tunnel

HatsOff2ya - I noticed Saturday AM that the "Comment section" (on the right hand side of MY browser) was filled with what at first glance looked like the "Typical" Send button gone awry. Started at 4:49AM then 5:03; 5:08; & 5:18AM, after reading thru I became more & more Depressed, duh. Didn't want to comment as I was at a total loss as to how/what to say. This shit was bad enough to start with, then... Reading the Posting (backwards?) oldest to newest, then it becomes a hunting game in the comment section to "Follow along". Got to feel for SODOGGONECUTE!!! I'm thinking that NAVIGATOR is feeling pretty "Proud" of her/his comment esp. w/the 4:49AM comment?