Regrouping After the Thomas Fire

Reads 2060

By TwoScoops

A friend from Ireland sent me an email saying we were  'Wandering Aengus’  as we evacuated to safer places over the last few weeks. I had to Google it to know what she was talking about. I’m curious about other Edhatters experiences while avoiding the monster Thomas Fire.  Close calls?  Where did you go?  How do you feel now?

a-1529707176 Dec 23, 2017 08:32 AM
Regrouping After the Thomas Fire

FREE. Happiness for the taking. Finally. "Thomas"...don't let the door hit you...

Roger Dec 22, 2017 01:43 PM
Regrouping After the Thomas Fire

Close evacuations twice once out of the hood because of the smoke and my lung problems the 2nd time almost to the loony bin because of my sister relieved grateful for the responders not only for the Firefighters, police, sheriff, National guard also Christmas is on a down hill slope but it always is.

Red Creek Dec 22, 2017 12:42 PM
Regrouping After the Thomas Fire

This extraordinary fire, and the Whittier fire in the spring/summer have been taxing for the entire community. When schools are let out so early it puts a strain on all the families, folks having to find housing for so long, businesses closed, the air so toxic, and on top of it all, the community festivities we all enjoy and which create community, were cancelled. We can now all appreciate being home, our returned clean air, and the enduring beauty of the Santa Barbara area; but what a year it has been!

Flicka Dec 22, 2017 12:41 PM
Regrouping After the Thomas Fire

While feeling better now, I had no Christmas spirit to wrap presents, write cards, or decorate. Just totally relieved those brave, wonderful firefighters saved so many homes. The very best Christmas present ever!

a-1529707176 Dec 22, 2017 12:26 PM
Regrouping After the Thomas Fire

I don't understand the relationship to Wandering Aengus so please elaborate. I can say, after having evacuated 3 fires and purposefully deciding to move downtown to never have to do that again, it was stressful being under even a voluntary evacuation order, and surprising. I feel very tired after the anxiety of it all, and it seems many others are wiped out tired too, I know I've never been this tired for this long before. Finally sleeping peacefully and feeling grateful it's out, and much more relaxed. I think I now have fire PTSD.

TWOSCOOPS Dec 22, 2017 01:16 PM
Regrouping After the Thomas Fire

Wandering Aengus is a figure in Irish mythology; Yeats has a poem about him. Emphasis here is on "wandering": we evacuated to two out-of-town locations.