By an edhat reader

I'm recovering from a hand injury and returned to lap  swimming at Dos Pueblos over the summer - beautiful pool! - and now they are closed. Where do Edhat readers suggest for lap swimming that won't empty my wallet? A few things: If there is some instruction, nice, but not necessary; I don't want an indoor pool; I tried UCSB and that doesn't work for me (plus it's pricey when you add the parking fees). Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

a-1574104809 Aug 13, 2019 10:20 PM
Public Swimming Pool Recommendations

I go to Los Banos and swim with the SBCC class called swimming for conditioning. . It's a good price and the pool is nice. I learned a lot of helpful drills. Carp pool is nice too.

a-1574104809 Aug 13, 2019 09:51 AM
Public Swimming Pool Recommendations

Los Banos all the way. On-street parking around there is 90 minutes, and I always find a spot for the noon to 2 PM lap swim times.

biguglystick Aug 13, 2019 09:34 AM
Public Swimming Pool Recommendations

YMCA pool has so much chlorine my eyes burned for two days after swimming there! It's WAY too chlorinated! YMCA, if you're reading this, DO something about it, please. I vote for Los Baños. We sure could use another affordably priced community pool besides Los Baños.

mm1970 Aug 13, 2019 08:44 AM
Public Swimming Pool Recommendations

Most of the available outdoor pools that I know of are pricey (attached to a health club), private (belong to an HOA or housing complex or community), or aren't always open. I use the YMCA (indoor). Outdoor pools include Los Banos, UCSB, Cathedral Oaks, Santa Barbara Athletic Club (both pricey), I think Santa Barbara Tennis Club, Ortega Park pool. Maybe the Montecito YMCA pool is outdoors? Building and maintaining swimming pools ... not cheap.

a-1574104809 Aug 13, 2019 08:01 AM
Public Swimming Pool Recommendations

Why are we tacitly allowing City Council to close Los Banos, reduce park and recreational services while Council spends more and more tax revenues paying bureaucrats/ them selves up to $345,000 a year plus benefits and retirement life pensions? Why aren’t we at City Hall demanding a shift in budget priorities? City offices are closed every other Friday: Why? Other offices are open 5-days a week. Parks are public spaces open 24/7, except in SB., where they close before Most get off work. Why? People need our public pools, parks, and services functioning. Has everyone joined private clubs? Aren’t 24% at or below poverty survival?

biguglystick Aug 13, 2019 09:31 AM
Public Swimming Pool Recommendations

I agreed with you 100% until you called the mayor a failure and a "loser". Resorting to name calling is not only low and tacky, but I personally know Cathy, and she is a very caring person who is doing her best. You may not like her, but she's trying. Yes, we need a public pool. Yes there is LOTS of problems with our city government. One look at State street will tell you that. Rents are too high. City gets away with murder.

SantaBarbaraObserver Aug 13, 2019 08:29 AM
Public Swimming Pool Recommendations

'We' are not who the city and its staff serve. They serve themselves, oversee themselves, pay themselves and do what they feel is appropriate, when and how they want to do it, or not... They cannot be fired, demoted or removed, are paid more than any other comparable local job and have no accountability nor incentive to reduce costs or improve their jobs and or dept. So things continue to get worse and much, much more expensive. The city of SB is the very definition of a inept bureaucracy. We are so overstaffed and under-served its not even funny. At least half of the city's staff could be fired tomorrow and not a thing would change. Except our expendable budget would suddenly balloon freeing up millions to go towards the very thing the citizens and tax payers of the city want... All this proves that Murillo is the worst mayor in our history, that she is an abject failure and a total loser. Who thought this woman would be a good leader? Her union lackeys and benefactors that's who. Funny how electing the fox to guard the hen-house works...

poupee1 Aug 13, 2019 07:35 AM
Public Swimming Pool Recommendations

I swim at UCSB. Two outdoor pools for laps, including a long-course pool at certain hours. Water is clean and the small pool is warmer than the big pool. You have to pay for registration and parking. They do take in community members, cheaper if you are an alumni. When I left the YMCA, the prices were about equivalent. They are just raising their prices by $10, however, and the hot water for the one locker room will be off for a month now. There is another locker area to walk to.

SantaBarbaraObserver Aug 13, 2019 11:16 AM
Public Swimming Pool Recommendations

Yeah, you're right. She's a winner until next year, when she loses and becomes a loser... Nice is not a skill set that we need. We need strong, capable leadership, fiscal stewardship and someone who can actually be effective. Not just kick the can down the road with feel good motions. She does not represent the best interests of the whole and has proven to be inept in all but ribbon cuttings and consultant payouts.

a-1574104809 Aug 12, 2019 01:07 PM
Public Swimming Pool Recommendations

Slightly off topic - Does anyone know why the children's wading pool next to Los Baños has been closed all summer?

mm1970 Aug 12, 2019 03:34 PM
Public Swimming Pool Recommendations

It's been closed for years I think. There's talk of turning it into a splash pad. I don't remember the last time it was operating.