Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday title=

Photo by freestocks.org from Pexels

Source: Santa Barbara County Public Health Department

The Santa Barbara County Public Health Department will not move forward in reopening expanded personal care service industries at this time. The California Department of Public Health issued guidance on June 12, 2020 for these industries, stating that reopening can be implemented only with County Health Officer approval following a review of local epidemiological data.

The increase in recent hospitalizations coupled with ongoing increases in COVID-19 positive cases have led to the County’s decision to pause reopening. The Public Health Department will continue to monitor data metrics to evaluate the impact of sectors that have already opened.   An update regarding reopening of expanded personal care services will be provided later next week.

Personal Care Services that must remain closed include, but are not limited to:

• Estheticians
  • Skin Care and Cosmetology services
  • Electrology (permanent hair removal)
  • Nail Salons
  • Body Art Professionals
  • Tattoo Parlors
  • Piercing Shops
  • Massage Therapy (including non-healthcare settings)
  • Businesses offering facials, electrolysis, and waxing

“Out of an abundance of caution and for the safety of all community members, particularly our most vulnerable, Public Health leadership has decided to hold on further reopening,” shared Dr. Henning Ansorg, Health Officer for Santa Barbara County. “We urge all residents to take this time to evaluate how they can limit their exposure to people outside their homes. This virus will continue to spread unless we take action to stop it.”

All community members are reminded to diligently:

• Stay home whenever possible. The State’s Stay at Home Order remains in effect.
  • Remain six feet away from others and wear a face covering when away from home.
  • Limit interaction with people outside your home and work place.
  • Wash your hands frequently with soap and water.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.

While Santa Barbara County has made the decision to delay reopening of expanded personal services at this time, Ventura County is closely monitoring local conditions and still considering whether to pursue the same course of action with the goal of slowing COVID-19 regionally.

For more information, please visit https://publichealthsbc.org/. For general questions about COVID-19, call the Santa Barbara County Call Center at (833)-688-5551.The Call Center is open weekdays (except for holidays) from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

SBgal74 Jun 17, 2020 10:23 PM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

It makes no sense that these businesses can’t open when bars and gyms are allowed to be open. It really feels like they jumped the gun on allowing gyms to re-open. Those places will be the perfect vector for viral transmission. I think people are so fatigued on staying at home and social distancing. When our government gives the green light to open gyms and bars it gives people a false sense of safety to engage in risky behavior and be around crowds. We all must remain vigilant to keep this virus from exploding in our community. #covidstillmatters

a-1592459024 Jun 17, 2020 10:43 PM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

The bigger question is why is EdHat no longer putting an article front and center highlighting new cases everyday? Because the surge is here? 56 new cases today with 20 in Santa Barbara and 27 in Santa Maria. And where are all the commenters who said, don’t worry, we can open up, there won’t be a surge in cases?

a-1592489181 Jun 18, 2020 07:06 AM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

Those poor businesses owners still paying commercial rents. The ppp was only for 2 months and the rent deferment ended in May. Seems like now that restaurants can open the city and county no longer care about these poor women in this industry many of them are moms with children to provide for.

Luvaduck Jun 18, 2020 07:08 AM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

More and more clerks & food service people are wearing their masks covering their mouths only and delivery people wearing them around their necks or not at all. Masking only works if everyone does it and properly. I wear glasses, a hearing aid, both of which make wearing a mask more uncomfortable. I also have miserable seasonal allergies. If I can do it, so can anyone else. Or is the 'help boomers & old dudes die' the object?

dw2000 Jun 18, 2020 08:20 AM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

I suspect its because the new rise in cases is on the heels of the other businesses having barely just reopened. It seems like it would be kind of whiplash to then shut them down the following week or so. They will probably have the gyms closes again at some point if cases continue to rise, but perhaps they are hoping this bump in cases will level off and start decreasing?

a-1592490061 Jun 18, 2020 07:21 AM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

I accidentally ended up in the middle of State Street on Tuesday night, and was shocked by the number of people walking around without masks. The City should make masks mandatory in places where people are congregating. Fortunately, I had a mask on, but most people seemed oblivious, even some walking through the farmers’ market, where there were signs saying that masks must be worn. I feel we’re in for a surge. Yesterday’s numbers were disappointing.

Shasta Guy Jun 18, 2020 07:39 AM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

Be disciplined about following the precautions and stay healthy, or ignore the precautions and get the virus. I know people are sick of being cooped up, but it’s still up to you to follow the precautions to keep yourself virus free. We are still at great risk here in my opinion, and I’m not letting my guard down.

MesaMa Jun 18, 2020 08:55 AM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

I've tried to be very careful in terms of quarantine, social distancing, and wearing face masks. I'm just beginning to venture out to some of the open businesses. Last week I went to a popular coffee shop in town to buy beans. The young woman who stood at the door to take my order was constantly pulling her too large mask back up over her nose the whole time we were speaking - so, bare hand touching nose area over and over. I watched through the window as she got me a cup of coffee (didn't wash her hands first - still adjusting her mask), and pressed the lid onto my coffee cup with the same hand she had been touching her nose with. The next day, I went to a restuarant to pick up a to-go order, and watched from outside as one of the waiters (for the outside tables), wearing gloves and a mask, with one hand, pulled down their mask, with the other retrieved a tissue from their pocket and blew their nose, put the tissue back, pulled up their mask, and carried on with their job. No change of gloves, no hand-washing. So, I'm not convinced that the places that are "trained and safe" are all that safe. This must be going on all over the place. Gross! These outings did not inspire confidence in me that employees are really trained or supervised for safety in serving the public yet.

a-1592554302 Jun 19, 2020 01:11 AM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

What did you do with those orders? Did you accept both? Did you say anything to the servers or management? I'm not going out yet myself. I would have at least contacted management -- and doing so at time and point of service would be best, and have the most impact. But like I said, I won't yet find myself in your position! Curious to hear thoughts about this...

bigman Jun 18, 2020 09:46 AM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

This doesn't surprise me, and actually worries and frustrates me. I've been diligent but have been looking forward to at least doing some outings. But the times I did, people seemed like they could care less. We got takeout at the Creekside - most employees were good but there were a couple who you could tell think this is a joke, I had to avoid them to try to get to my car. A few times now I'e seen Pascucci's owner with her mask down below her nose. These ppl are touching things and serving us. I am not confident going out anymore sadly. I'll stick to only essential shopping for now until they develope effective meds.

a-1592502317 Jun 18, 2020 10:45 AM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

Same at The Nugget in Goleta. Despite posting signs at the entrance patrons are allowed in without masks and a server with his mask down around his chin. Can't imagine what the kitchen staff is doing. Clearly an establishment that thinks public health is a joke.

a-1592505978 Jun 18, 2020 11:46 AM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

I agree. I keep thinking, if they are being his careless/callous in the open what are they doing behind the scenes/in the kitchen. I don't want to find out the hard way. I'll stick to places that I've seen good practices and feel OK with for now. Crossing the others off my list.

SBTownie Jun 18, 2020 01:39 PM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

I stopped going to a local coffee shop where I spent at least $200 a month (often more like $300+) because they decided not to enforce wearing masks. Every day there were tons of people not wearing masks, no signage encouraging it (let alone enforcing it), nothing. I saw some gross stuff like a guy rub his nose then grab a wad of cash and hand it to the cashier. The owners apparently didn't want to ruffle any feathers. They made the wrong call though because they may never be able to quantify the business they lost (like my family's) because they decided to prioritize not offending a few immature freedom fighters over the health of the rest of their patrons. So disappointed. This business was VERY dear to my heart.

biguglystick Jun 18, 2020 02:46 PM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

I was in CVS wearing my mask, staying the recommended 6 ft apart from people when an older woman without a mask sidled up to me and stood 3 ft away. The clerk asked me if she was with me and when I said no, I turned and asked her to step back to 6ft. She yelled at me that the whole thing was "a joke" and then lunged at me and coughed in my face! I was SO angry! I lifted my fist and told her I'd kick her ass. She retreated, and I totally would have if she had kept it up. Sickening display of rude ugly entitlement and disregard for others. SO you don't like wearing a mask? Don't go around coughing violently in someone's face who is trying to protect YOU by wearing one. FFS. I'm still mad.

biguglystick Jun 18, 2020 02:49 PM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

My guess is that the majority of restaurants are failing the rules in some way, even if it's not blatant. Take it from a former restaurant worker... these places are germ breeding grounds! https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/hundreds-of-socal-restaurants-are-violating-new-rules-to-prevent-covid-19/2380696/

bigman Jun 18, 2020 09:49 AM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

I also went to CVS on Milpas last night - a girl in there was holding some sort of cloth to her face as a mask - with her hands - and she'd remove it to talk and giggle with her boyfriend, then touch things with her hand that was holding the cloth to her mouth. No one working there said anything - they may not have noticed. But I'll tell you - it was concerning.

letmego Jun 18, 2020 10:23 AM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

And graduations were 2 weeks ago too. So it's hard to tell. Most of the new cases are 0-17/18-29/30-49, about equal numbers. Combo of opening up/ graduations/ protests - though most people at protests were at least wearing masks, from the photos I saw.

a-1592501261 Jun 18, 2020 10:27 AM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

Coolio - everything in that statement is so incredibly WRONG. Thousands of "young and healthy" people have died from this. Not only that, if a "young and healthy" person gets infected, they can easily spread it to their "real old are not in good health" parents, grandparents, neighbors, bosses, etc. And what about the kids with asthma or other issues? Should we just allow the "young and healthy" people go around infecting them as well? Do you have even the slightest clue how this virus works? I mean, it's been around for a few months so I would hope so....

a-1592505827 Jun 18, 2020 11:43 AM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

COOLIO not true. I personally know someone my age [late 40s] who is super healthy and got this and was really, really sick, almost hospitalized. Another guy who went to the same college as I did died from this at 48, the obituary was so sad - and he was an athlete, super healthy. In fact, the cytokine storm is a huge issue with this which is an immune system response - so some have said that in some cases having a suppressed immune system might prevent the cytokine storm where as the more active your immune system is, you may fare worse. So please don't keep repeating this wrong information that the young and healthy don't have to worry.

a-1592509114 Jun 18, 2020 12:38 PM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

Yes, they use steroids for things like pneumonia and the like. It's nothing new really and very easy to get. But they can only use it when there is no other option if someone has extreme inflammation b/c it suppresses the immune system so it's a fine line to walk. I don't know why that wasn't being used before - maybe b/c they understand the virus more now.

a-1592509117 Jun 18, 2020 12:38 PM

biguglystick Jun 18, 2020 02:43 PM

I personally know an 18 year old who died from Covid
-19 in Los Angeles. He was young and incredibly healthy, NO preexisting conditions whatsoever. The disease made him so sick his body gave in. Seriously, if ignorant people out there do NOT get that this thing kills young and old alike, there is something wrong with their head!

Bene Jun 18, 2020 05:48 PM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

Agreed BUS. My best friend's brother just died of COVID. He was in his 30's and in great health. It is sad we have to point this out to get some people to care about stopping the spread. If it is just old people dying, too many on this and other forums seem to think that's okay. I think older lives matter too! But I don't see enough concern about their right to live well or even to live. From what I have read, many of the same people who claim they are so progressive and care soooo much about civil rights and other people's welfare, are the same people who will scornfully sneer "Boomer" or indicate as long as young people don't get this disease it's okay to spread it around.

Pages