Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday title=

Photo by freestocks.org from Pexels

Source: Santa Barbara County Public Health Department

The Santa Barbara County Public Health Department will not move forward in reopening expanded personal care service industries at this time. The California Department of Public Health issued guidance on June 12, 2020 for these industries, stating that reopening can be implemented only with County Health Officer approval following a review of local epidemiological data.

The increase in recent hospitalizations coupled with ongoing increases in COVID-19 positive cases have led to the County’s decision to pause reopening. The Public Health Department will continue to monitor data metrics to evaluate the impact of sectors that have already opened.   An update regarding reopening of expanded personal care services will be provided later next week.

Personal Care Services that must remain closed include, but are not limited to:

• Estheticians
  • Skin Care and Cosmetology services
  • Electrology (permanent hair removal)
  • Nail Salons
  • Body Art Professionals
  • Tattoo Parlors
  • Piercing Shops
  • Massage Therapy (including non-healthcare settings)
  • Businesses offering facials, electrolysis, and waxing

“Out of an abundance of caution and for the safety of all community members, particularly our most vulnerable, Public Health leadership has decided to hold on further reopening,” shared Dr. Henning Ansorg, Health Officer for Santa Barbara County. “We urge all residents to take this time to evaluate how they can limit their exposure to people outside their homes. This virus will continue to spread unless we take action to stop it.”

All community members are reminded to diligently:

• Stay home whenever possible. The State’s Stay at Home Order remains in effect.
  • Remain six feet away from others and wear a face covering when away from home.
  • Limit interaction with people outside your home and work place.
  • Wash your hands frequently with soap and water.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.

While Santa Barbara County has made the decision to delay reopening of expanded personal services at this time, Ventura County is closely monitoring local conditions and still considering whether to pursue the same course of action with the goal of slowing COVID-19 regionally.

For more information, please visit https://publichealthsbc.org/. For general questions about COVID-19, call the Santa Barbara County Call Center at (833)-688-5551.The Call Center is open weekdays (except for holidays) from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

fitz Jun 18, 2020 06:11 PM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

Ran into 7/11 yesterday. Workers had masks, etc. customers had masks, etc. BUT there was a homeless guy standing near the front door. Never moved away as people entered. Strolled near the check out line. I sensed the cashier was uncomfortable but he didn't do anything. The homeless in SB should be isolated right now. What about the panhandling on Las Positas exits. You stop there in your car and these maskless people are coming up near your car, within your 6 ft. social distance. I had kids in the car and the window open. I immediately closed it. Panhandling should be stopped during the pandemic. Get to work SB.

a-1594209091 Jun 19, 2020 02:58 AM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

A little threat is a good learning experience. I would've known panhandlers were there when I was halfway up the ramp, and I'm already aware, from experience. I can only speak from a female view and experience -- we're always scanning and aware. Always ready to close the windows, lock up when I'm in my car. Knowing every unknown male on the street when you're out doing errands could mark you, follow you. But it's easy to hide, cover up, look bad, look male, look invisible. And you age out of it. Imagine feeling this way every minute of every day of every year of your life, sometimes afraid to be something you can't hide... your skin color. I dunno. I just think females get it more than white males.

bigman Jun 18, 2020 03:15 PM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

Frankly I think these updates should include any businesses that had any employees test positive for the virus. This is a public health issue and should trump any HIPPA protections. We won't know who it was of course but, at the very least, if they aren't going to disclose these locations so we can avoid them, they should mandate that the business close for 2 weeks. That would put some teeth in these requirements and force the lax businesses to step up or close down.

Bene Jun 18, 2020 05:35 PM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

I heard from a reputable source that an employee at a popular natural foods store has COVID. But you are never going to get that kind of information from any official source. The only way any of us will ever know which businesses (other than nursing homes etc.) have cases is to know someone who knows.

dw2000 Jun 18, 2020 11:26 PM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

Lets not forget, the country officially reached 100,000 DEAD across the country almost the same day Floyd was killed. Hell, certain states were already declaring “mission accomplished” and opening at an accelerated pace—looking at you Florida, Texas, Arizona... these states seem to have a few things in common as of late

bigone Jun 18, 2020 05:50 PM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

@ 3:29: you must be watching different news outlets than I do. But if you are correct, why are so many people here claiming that the protests are causing/will cause a huge spike in cases? I guess it's ok to riot, loot, and protest if you are a BLM or Antifa member, but it's not ok to defend the Second Amendment, the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and draconian governors with or without masks.

a-1594209091 Jun 18, 2020 03:29 PM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

BIGONE - nice try, but most of the BLM protesters (and even some of the looters) were generally all wearing masks. Who was NOT wearing masks? Here's who: armed militia "men" that stormed the Michigan capitol building, anti-mask protesters, most republicans.

sacjon Jun 18, 2020 02:37 PM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

"The requirement does not pertain to people who may be eating at a restaurant while maintaining a 6 foot distance from others or for people who are engaged in recreational activities like swimming, hiking, running and biking, according to the order" ------- https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/18/california-gov-gavin-newsom-orders-residents-to-wear-face-coverings-in-most-public-spaces.html

@chelsea Jun 18, 2020 03:17 PM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) on Thursday signed an order making wearing face coverings mandatory while in public or high-risk settings, citing health concerns due to the Chinese coronavirus pandemic. Californians will be required to wear a mask while in line or inside public spaces, at the workplace, and when waiting for or while riding public transportation, the newly-issued state guidelines say. People engaged in hiking, running or bicycling do not need to wear a mask. Children under two-years-old and individuals with medical conditions are also exempt from the order.

a-1594209091 Jun 19, 2020 01:43 AM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

SO many people don't have even the common sense to wear a mask, so telling them precisely when and where to do so is not going to increase usage. Reasonable people, people who have common sense, know to have a mask at hand and that they don't need to wear it while driving alone or when 6 or many feet away from people. I don't wear one when driving to the store or walking down my street! But I have it at hand.

a-1594209091 Jun 19, 2020 01:38 AM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

You, Loose Cannon, are a trolling, unthinking fool. I won't go too into detail about the people my family rented to, the low rents, the money saved. We didn't give a damn about new cars or furniture or clothes. And they taught me to give. They'd be in their mid-late 90's. I'm 60. They taught me to give: money, effort, care, responsibility. I'm an atheist who has a god-daughter. I've given more $$ than I think you could to life support like Food Bank and grants to unemployed in the past 5 months. Yeah, you got me righteously pissed off. Where do you get off making blanket claims like you do?! Just makes you look dumb. But thanks for the evening entertainment. :-)

a-1594209091 Jun 19, 2020 01:54 AM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

LC, what state, or what part of CA, do you LIVE in?! I know this will be mis-formatted. I used a news source rather than County Clerk election office or State info because it was easiest to access. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- President (Statewide results) Hillary Clinton: 5,461,468 (61.4%) Donald J. Trump: 2,959,147 (33.3%) Jill Stein: 151,751 (1.7%) Gary Johnson: 280,428 (3.2%)

a-1594209091 Jun 19, 2020 02:20 AM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

The irony of your quoting that song! Even as an attack. Your nastiness, snark, close-mindedness and chauvinism does not sit well with people; people with whom one must work to advance causes. I had to look the song up to get the history right. Do you know who wrote it without looking it up? Did you listen to it since you were a toddler because Peter, Paul & Mary was the popular family music when folks weren't listening to classical? Or did you choose it yourself? Like most humans choose what they were brought up with (by older people?) As always, Wikipedia to the rescue. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_Have_All_the_Flowers_Gone%3F

LooseCannon Jun 18, 2020 05:24 PM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

I wear a mask everywhere, and have done so since the beginning of his frigging nightmare. Standing six feet away and all the rest. But let's be clear, there is no evidence that masks really make any difference at all in an outdoor setting, if you are moving around. In one study, recently cited by the New York Times in an article about jogging outdoors, it said that out of 7,400 cases of COVID, only ONE case of transmission could be attributed to outdoors. But if you like to smell your own breath, by all means, wear a mask outdoors, wear one driving around while you're the only occupant, wear one while you're asleep. And while you're at it, award yourself a Boy Scouts merit badge while you're at it.

LooseCannon Jun 18, 2020 05:18 PM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

Noble sentiments, SOAPBOX, but you missed my qualifier "overwhelmingly". Of course, there are anomalies within each generation. I just find it ironic that older people, who have overwhelmingly voted Republican are now such strong advocates for communalism and social responsibility. Anyway, I appreciate your masking-wearing to protect my health. But when your generation approves tax increases for the wealthy, who are overwhelming old and white, to pay for this COVID nightmare and create a more equitable society, I will join hands with you for your Kumbaya moment. When all is said and done, I have a sinking suspicion that many of you folks will go back to your old ways, hoarding your wealth, jumping around from gated community to second home to cruiseship like nothing happened; cutting Social Security for younger people; raising the age qualification for benefits (already done); and eliminating pensions (more or less a fait accompli). Join my in my sing-a-long, SOAPBOX, "Where have all the flowers gone? Long time passing. Where have all the flowers gone? Long time ago. Where have all the flowers gone? Girls have picked them every one. When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?"

letmego Jun 18, 2020 05:07 PM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

LOOSECANNON “Science shows that face coverings and masks work,” Newsom said in a statement released Thursday. “They are critical to keeping those who are around you safe, keeping businesses open and restarting our economy.” Take one for the team, dude

SoapBox Jun 18, 2020 04:40 PM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

Loose: I'm willing to make a sacrifice and wear a mask to help protect those who fought for human rights and civil rights in the 60s, animal rights in the 70s and who voted for RFK and Obama. And for those who are struggling to pay off a second mortgage while still supporting their families and cannot afford to get sick. (yes, here in SB) I'll wear it for the children with asthma and immune diseases, and the naturally weakened. And, I will wear one for you because because every human being, no matter my views on them, deserves to be protected.

LooseCannon Jun 18, 2020 04:11 PM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

Newsom order on compulsory masks = Another victory for the gerontocracy. The people who brought us Ronald Reagan, the Bushes, Donald Trump, the generation who've consistently voted overwhelmingly Republican, showing once again, that it's ALL ABOUT THEM. There is, of course, another option, that these pension-enjoying, real-estate flipping, Social Security-receiving oldies could stay home, but NO, we must all sacrifice for their behalf. Again.

Abc109 Jun 18, 2020 02:03 PM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

Seriously! Wineries and bars are allowed to operate, which bring throngs of out-of-towners and tons of them, leaving their spit all over numerous glasses and mingling with dozens of others from multiple households. But estheticians and others who conduct only one-on-one business are made to remain closed. It makes zero sense. Definitely will be writing the city on this one.

a-1594209091 Jun 18, 2020 10:41 AM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

For those who doubt Pitmix's claim: https://www.newsweek.com/texas-bars-second-wave-coronavirus-1511531 ----------https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-restaurants-shutting-down-after-reopening/ ----------------- https://dallas.eater.com/2020/6/15/21291581/dallas-restaurants-temporarily-closed-after-employee-tests-positive-covid-19

a-1594209091 Jun 19, 2020 01:26 AM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

It's a matter of SURVIVAL, not worry. I retired early, I have a home and savings and I can avoid going out. People who need money to shelter, feed and warm themselves can't. I do all I can to protect them and myself. At 30, I was on a respirator due to bacterial pneumonia. I don't think I'd survive that again, 30 years later. Wear a mask when out!, stay home if you can (and appreciate being able to), and use all good, safe, common-sense techniques to be well and protect others.

Bene Jun 18, 2020 05:48 PM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

Agreed BUS. My best friend's brother just died of COVID. He was in his 30's and in great health. It is sad we have to point this out to get some people to care about stopping the spread. If it is just old people dying, too many on this and other forums seem to think that's okay. I think older lives matter too! But I don't see enough concern about their right to live well or even to live. From what I have read, many of the same people who claim they are so progressive and care soooo much about civil rights and other people's welfare, are the same people who will scornfully sneer "Boomer" or indicate as long as young people don't get this disease it's okay to spread it around.

biguglystick Jun 18, 2020 02:43 PM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

I personally know an 18 year old who died from Covid -19 in Los Angeles. He was young and incredibly healthy, NO preexisting conditions whatsoever. The disease made him so sick his body gave in. Seriously, if ignorant people out there do NOT get that this thing kills young and old alike, there is something wrong with their head!

a-1594209091 Jun 18, 2020 12:38 PM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

Yes, they use steroids for things like pneumonia and the like. It's nothing new really and very easy to get. But they can only use it when there is no other option if someone has extreme inflammation b/c it suppresses the immune system so it's a fine line to walk. I don't know why that wasn't being used before - maybe b/c they understand the virus more now.

a-1594209091 Jun 18, 2020 12:38 PM

a-1594209091 Jun 18, 2020 11:43 AM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

COOLIO not true. I personally know someone my age [late 40s] who is super healthy and got this and was really, really sick, almost hospitalized. Another guy who went to the same college as I did died from this at 48, the obituary was so sad - and he was an athlete, super healthy. In fact, the cytokine storm is a huge issue with this which is an immune system response - so some have said that in some cases having a suppressed immune system might prevent the cytokine storm where as the more active your immune system is, you may fare worse. So please don't keep repeating this wrong information that the young and healthy don't have to worry.

a-1594209091 Jun 18, 2020 10:27 AM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

Coolio - everything in that statement is so incredibly WRONG. Thousands of "young and healthy" people have died from this. Not only that, if a "young and healthy" person gets infected, they can easily spread it to their "real old are not in good health" parents, grandparents, neighbors, bosses, etc. And what about the kids with asthma or other issues? Should we just allow the "young and healthy" people go around infecting them as well? Do you have even the slightest clue how this virus works? I mean, it's been around for a few months so I would hope so....

letmego Jun 18, 2020 10:23 AM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

And graduations were 2 weeks ago too. So it's hard to tell. Most of the new cases are 0-17/18-29/30-49, about equal numbers. Combo of opening up/ graduations/ protests - though most people at protests were at least wearing masks, from the photos I saw.

bigman Jun 18, 2020 09:49 AM
Public Health Will Not Reopen Expanded Personal Care Services on Friday

I also went to CVS on Milpas last night - a girl in there was holding some sort of cloth to her face as a mask - with her hands - and she'd remove it to talk and giggle with her boyfriend, then touch things with her hand that was holding the cloth to her mouth. No one working there said anything - they may not have noticed. But I'll tell you - it was concerning.

Pages