Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement title=

Source: Santa Barbara County Public Health Department

The Santa Barbara County Public Health Department has extended a Health Officer Order which requires the use of masks in indoor public settings.  This order requires all individuals, regardless of vaccination status, to wear face coverings when indoors in public settings, with limited exceptions. This Order 2021-10.6 is effective 5 p.m. November 4, 2021 and continuing until 5 p.m., on December 4, 2021 or until it is extended, rescinded, superseded, or amended.

As of October 28, 2021, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has categorized the COVID-19 community transmission level as Substantial in California and Santa Barbara County. As of October 23, 2021, the County has a case rate of 10 per 100,000 and a test positivity of 2.8%. The CDC recommends fully vaccinated individuals wear a face covering in public indoor settings in areas with Substantial or High community transmission rates.

In order for local health officials to consider rescinding the indoor mask mandate, the county case rate should be 6.0 cases per 100,000 people or lower for two consecutive weeks. When reaching this level, transmission is classified as Low.

“We are heading in the right direction as our case rate continues to decrease and vaccinations increase,” shared Dr. Henning Ansorg, County Health Officer. “Community transmission does remain at a substantial level. The upcoming Holiday season has the potential to cause a significant increase in cases and hospitalizations. Wearing a face covering while indoors is an important and effective strategy to reduce transmission in the community.”

This Health Officer Order is consistent with the guidance from the CDC as well as the California Department of Public Health, which recommend that fully vaccinated people wear masks while in indoor public settings.  The full Health Officer Order can be read here: https://publichealthsbc.org/health-officer-orders/

Visit https://publichealthsbc.org/vaccine to learn where you can find a vaccination site near you or call 2-1-1.

oops Nov 06, 2021 05:30 AM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

Just more punishment by our local officials. Science lacking, masks mandates will never be lifted.
Not too long ago Biden said he would never mandate vaccinations- that changed almost immediately after he got elected.

Voice of Reason Nov 05, 2021 02:54 PM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

"Masks can help reduce your chance of #COVID19 infection by more than 80%." this was an actual tweet today by CDC DIRECTOR ROCHELLE WALENSKY, MD, MPH !!!

This is why so many don't trust what's coming out of these bureaucrats mouths! There is zero data to support this and they have access to ALL the data. The best mask works study put forth shows a 2-3% reduction in the rate of spread, at best, and here we have the CDC Director sayin a mask reduces your chance of catching Covid by 80%. 80%!!! If masks worked that well the pandemic would have been over last summer. If she's basing this off real data and studies, show us! If she wants more people in masks, and the 80% is true, share the data that backs this up and the amount mask wearers will increase dramatically! If this is true there is no need for vaccine mandates, because between getting yourself vaccinated and wearing these 80% prevention supermasks, Covid is a non issue.

Voice of Reason Nov 05, 2021 12:08 PM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

Seasonality is the main driver for the spread of covid, not whatever mandates specific states want to put in place. FL, with no restrictions, no masks, no mandates, currently has a case rate over the past 7 days of 52.9/100k. CA, with our restrictions and masks, has a case rate over the past 7 days of 108.7/100K. This difference will only increase as our respiratory virus season gets started and theirs ends (just like last year...) How could that possibly be!!!! An entire state with no mask mandates or restrictions yet has half the case rate of ours? Now the result of those cases is different due FL having a higher portion of elderly and was hit much harder early in the pandemic. Vaccination rates are similar FYI.

Source: https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#cases_casesper100klast7days

justso Nov 05, 2021 11:46 AM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

I visited Vienna a few weeks ago where they require the equivalent of N95 masks at indoor public spaces. The strictest rules in Europe. They went to a level 4 rating for the USA(do not travel there due to high rates of Covid 19) while I was there. People were compliant with the masks, that don't seem to have made a difference. It did seem less of a political issue.
In restaurants and hotels, proof of immunity or a recent negative test were required. No masks worn then. Sensible.
I don't mind anyone at risk or wanting to protect themselves or others wearing their masks. N95 if you are serious about it.
I want to be treated as an adult about the vaccines and masks. I'm vaxxed and boosted and prefer to let the mask theater go. I am in the age group at higher risk and have lowered that risk. Although the odds of hospitalization or dying of Covid 19 remain low for most healthy individuals.
It is nice that the states hasn't closed down the restaurants and stores this year. Fear is subsiding slowly.

Voice of Reason Nov 05, 2021 02:56 PM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

I did explain it Sac, it's seasonal. Just go this this CDC site, https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_dailycases and plug in multiple states to see it over time. Notice how States in the same geographic area, follow the same pattern even when each state has drastically different covid restrictions and mask mandates? I also don't think you know what anecdotal means because what Letmego said is the definition of anecdotal.

sacjon Nov 05, 2021 02:54 PM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

VOICE - there you go again, calling anything contrary to your opinion "anecdotal," as if 90% of what you say isn't. Hey, explain to us the results of your map for Idaho, Montana, the Dakotas, Utah, Arizona, Nebraska, etc and the other Republican led states where covid is rampant compared to CA? You can't keep blaming the Dems for failing, when it's clearly not a partisan phenomenon.

sacjon Nov 05, 2021 02:08 PM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

LETMEGO - Excellent. Problem is, VOICE is such an "independent thinker," that even cold hard facts put right in his face are still somehow "media bias" or some other lame excuse for him being flat out, verifiably, 100% wrong.

letmego Nov 05, 2021 01:35 PM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

VOR: SB case rate: with mandatory masking and reasonably high vaccination rates: 11
My home town, trump loving incredibly rural county: no masking and 40% vaccination rate: 70 (and 3% of all the people who have had COVID have died from it).

Yeah, um, okay! Just because you keep saying it doesn't mean it's true.

Voice of Reason Nov 05, 2021 11:56 AM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

While this is a novel virus it is still a corona virus, something we know a ton about. The "novel" portion is about the specific traits of this specific corona virus. The size of virus particles and how this virus spreads around the room, via air, via surfaces, via water droplets, etc. is all very well known and didn't change when Covid-19 came around. What changed is the government needed an out from it's disastrous and ineffective lockdowns, masks were that out and a way for the government to have the people start blaming each other, rather than the government, and provide a security blanket for many (a false sense of security that led people to engage in situations/behaviors they wouldn't if not for their misplaced faith in the mask). Poltiicans/governments always have a bad case of "DoSomethingItus" and many look to them to do something, anything, consequences be damned, even if its just provides emotional support rather than actually being effective.

"Just 100 days to mask. Not forever. One hundred days. And I think we'll see a significant reduction ... If that occurs, with vaccinations and masking, to drive down the numbers considerably." - Joe Biden.

No where has masks lead to a significant reduction cases, unfortunately, no where has masks and vaccination led to a significant reduction in cases.

sacjon Nov 05, 2021 11:13 AM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

BR3220 - Backpedaling champion of that day! You said "they offer no protection against airborne viruses. NONE." The government has said over and over they do provide some protection. There is mounds of evidence showing they provide some degree of protection. So who is lying?

letmego Nov 05, 2021 11:01 AM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

I'm pretty amazed that people are still spewing this "masks don't stop viruses at all" rhetoric, years into this. PLENTY of evidence (see SACJON's post) otherwise.

And duh, if you are wearing a mask, and the virus is in the water droplets...the mask stops the water and then the viruses aren't airborne, they are dried up on the inside of the mask...(that you then throw out or wash...). OY.

sacjon Nov 05, 2021 10:23 AM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

BR3220 - "they offer no protection against airborne viruses. NONE" - Wrong. Here's some proof that you're wrong:

SBLinda Nov 04, 2021 09:46 PM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

It's pretty funny reading how upset people get when they see others driving around solo in a car with a mask on. I frequently forget to take my mask off in my car when I am out running errands. Then when I notice I still have it on, I wonder how many people I have freaked out by forgetting to take it off. Getting people all worked up just by forgetting I have a mask on my face.

dukemunson Nov 05, 2021 12:49 PM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

Sac - The thing your obviously (intentionally) missing is how insane people have been over the last year about making sure people are wearing a mask...regardless of how nonsensical it was in many circumstances. I've been yelled at for running on the beach without a mask. I see a lot of kids in IV biking around with a mask on, only to get off, take a seat on the patio at Woodstocks with 10 people and start drinking. It's a combination of idiotic madness and nonsensical application.

So again, stop caring if other people wear masks and I'll for one stop caring if you want to wear yours forever. Sure it will be hard to suppress a smile at the kids wearing a mask at Girsh Park for the first quarter of their soccer game tomorrow, but I promise it wont be visible to anyone else.

sacjon Nov 05, 2021 12:28 PM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

Backpedaling again, VOICE. You refer to "when those car-maskers push mask use on everyone else and their kids" - no one on this thread is talking about kids. Therefore, your statement is attributable to all people, not just here on this thread or in this town, which you never said anyway.

And you know darn well, people here in town mouth off to those wearing masks. I've seen it plenty, thankfully not violently. Even here on this thread there are people who "cares when others wear masks."

Look, we both know you are wrong but will never admit it. Just accept that people DO care when others wear masks, it's an indisputable fact.

Voice of Reason Nov 05, 2021 12:15 PM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

Selective editing again Sac, I was talking about here on this thread, and in SB. You pulling links from all over the US is BS, with 350 million people I can find an example of someone doing anything.

sacjon Nov 05, 2021 09:58 AM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

VOICE - "No one cares when others wear masks" bwahaha! Have you ever seen/heard/read the news? How many Karens and Kens have you seen flip out on or otherwise berate and/or ridicule others for wearing a mask? It's like you willfully ignore facts. Mind blowing...... Here, I'll provide you, again, with evidence to prove you wrong:

Heck, your people are even being COMANDED to confront mask wearers by YOUR MEDIA! "“So the next time you see someone in a mask on the sidewalk or on the bike path, do not hesitate. Ask politely but firmly, ‘Would you please take off your mask? Science shows there is no reason for you to be wearing it. Your mask is making me uncomfortable,’” Carlson said." - https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-tucker-carlson-tells-viewers-to-confront-mask-wearing-people-20210427-3riwdnf4ujhg3cfj5lqkizwopa-story.html

Yeah.... no one cares about others wearing masks, they just "kept to themselves."

Voice of Reason Nov 05, 2021 09:32 AM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

No one cares when others wear masks and I'm reading here a lot more people complaining about the people complaining about people wearing masks. What they do care about is when those car-maskers push mask use on everyone else and their kids. If they kept to themselves and their mask, no one would care.

sacjon Nov 05, 2021 08:45 AM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

I'm going to start wearing my mask alone in my car just to ruin some of you peoples' day. It's MINDBOGGLING how upset you all get about seeing someone driving with a mask on. Why do you worry so much about other people's choices? Who cares if they're wearing a mask? Snowflakes, the lot of you!

dukemunson Nov 05, 2021 07:09 AM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

Except a lot of people (and kids) aren’t forgetting… the mask is a part of them now. They are wearing it everywhere out of fear of anything/everything. I got a friend who’s 11 year old won’t take it off at home….They literally wear it all day everywhere. So yes… wearing a mask at times that are nonsensical and useless does have an effect on the population at large in the same way that other forms of panic do.

madhatter Nov 04, 2021 09:15 PM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

Wow, the intense frustration some feel over others wearing a mask is really quite sad.
My greatest hope is that those who are so frustrated can pause and recognize that this is not healthy to feel so angered by one’s own assumptions about others. Yes, you are making major assumptions about other people and why they’re wearing a mask AND you are getting frustrated because of your own assumptions.
You need to think logically about this predicament, your intense frustration, that YOU have put yourself in. Control yourself and stop judging and caring if someone has a mask on. Do yourself a life changing favor and let it go.
I assure you that there are many sane and rational people wearing masks in their car and outside, for a myriad of different reasons. They don’t need to give you a reason and you don’t need to need one that makes sense to you. Take care.

dukemunson Nov 05, 2021 07:56 PM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

Mad - by definition, if you are wearing a mask in your car alone you are being irrational…

But here’s a question… do you wear it during the 4 steps as you enter a restaurant/bar before sitting down and taking it off?

madhatter Nov 05, 2021 07:47 PM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

Dukemunson, I was specifically voicing my thoughts with regard to comments about people who are seen wearing a mask in their car or outdoors being called insane, fearful or irrational.
For the record I’m vaxed and boosted and I do NOT agree that at this point we should stop wearing masks indoors and outdoors completely (I think some outdoor situations should still require masking).
I wear a mask for myself and also for others, and it’s neither a burden nor do I feel put upon to do it. And yes, I do put a mask on during those brief minutes when going through a drive through as a courtesy for the worker in the window who’s also wearing a mask.

dukemunson Nov 05, 2021 07:12 AM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

Honesty though it doesn’t really bother me… I find public displays of silliness rather humorous. Perhaps these people are also wearing a life jacket and parachute while clutching bear spray as they drive…

dukemunson Nov 04, 2021 09:34 PM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

It’s almost like you are saying that people, at this point, should stop judging and wear (or not wear!) a mask as they seem fit and feel safe with…

To which I strongly agree! Let’s please stop telling people to wear (or not wear!) a mask!

Because it’s really really silly to wear a mask for those 4 steps between the entrance of m special and the bar stool!!!

Basicinfo805 Nov 04, 2021 07:44 PM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

The problem with people driving around IN THEIR OWN CARS BY THEMSELVES while wearing a mask is that it's paranoid and irrational behavior, and represents an unfounded endorsement in the bs that's being fed to all of us currently. And these solo car masks wearers are gobbling 'that meal' right up without thinking logically. That IS a problem, and many of us find it very frustrating.

letmego Nov 05, 2021 09:20 AM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

Pretty sure that you couldn't see my small child in the backseat of my car last week when I was driving with my mask on...(he was sick with a bad cold). And yes, I put on a mask whenever I went into his "quarantine room".

Alexblue Nov 04, 2021 09:41 PM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

Basic, dude, who knows maybe that person you see with a mask on in their car forgot they had it on. Maybe they like the way it feels. Maybe they just robbed a bank. But you know what I can guarantee? They aren't thinking about you and grinding their teeth with rage and frustration because of some crap you're doing that doesn't even impact them. So maybe just relax.

a-1636082130 Nov 04, 2021 08:15 PM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

Maybe those masked drivers have a sick grandma lying in the back seat. Let them be. I had to wear a mask much of today because I’m on jury duty. Found myself a block away from the courthouse and realized I still had it on. I simply forgot it was there.

madhatter Nov 04, 2021 07:00 PM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

I don’t understand why anyone cares, or cares enough to comment, about another person wearing a mask in their car or walking around. There are plausible reasons that they could choose to wear it without them being fearful or panicky. Maybe they are driving from one place to another where they’ll need to wear a mask so they’ve left it on. Maybe they just started driving and haven’t taken it off yet when you see them. Maybe they’re walking on a street with cars going by and realize the masks help with car exhaust or allergies. My point is why do YOU care so much that you have to name call people as fearful when you are just making assumptions about them. Seems to me you are the fearful one…fearful of mask wearers.

Chip of SB Nov 04, 2021 07:40 PM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

I could care less if people want to wear a mask, and I’ll happily keep to myself. I wish the mask authoritarians would do the same. Wear your mask if you want to, but leave the rest of us alone.

dukemunson Nov 04, 2021 07:21 PM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

Agreed! And on the flip side keep it to yourself when I order my coffee mask less before sitting down and taking off my mask to drink (just skipping that whole 8 step charade of masked entering before sitting and taking off mask).

You have the choice and ability to stay masked forever. But when you do it in your car or on your bike or on a jog on the beach… do realize… it is silly. Which is ok… it is ok to be silly.

dukemunson Nov 04, 2021 07:13 PM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

Because it leads to this perpetual state of forever masking… regardless of time and place and logic. You need to wear a mask as you enter a restaurant or bar… then sit and can take it off and eat and drink and laugh about the charade you just did. Tell you what… I won’t complain about anyone wearing a mask ever again as soon as we drop the charade of putting on a mask, gaiter or bandana to order a coffee and then sitting down mask off to drink the coffee. There is no sense or logic to 99% of the masking in Sb… and yet it continues on.

So yeah… once you stop caring about that the four steps from doorway to seat in a restaurant he masked, I’ll stop caring if you drive around, bike around or run around by yourself masked forever.

el_smurfo Nov 04, 2021 05:57 PM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

When the mandates are unreasonable, people lose faith in their leaders and they stop obeying. At my gym, half the people take their masks off once they get to their station. At the store, I regularly see multiple people with no mask and no concern. I refuse to vaccinate my otherwise safe children until they promise that the masks will come off.

ginger1 Nov 04, 2021 05:32 PM
Public Health Officer Extends Indoor Face Mask Requirement

Absolute idiocy. Please explain to me how a vaccinated person is "safer" entering a restaurant wearing a mask, and then sitting down a few feet away among dozens of others unmasked. The real solution is to require anyone entering any indoor location to be vaccinated, period. Hey, the city still has signs posted OUTDOORS that state it is required to wear masks outdoors in public places. Wrong.

And so the fearful remain in a constant state of panic, wearing masks while walking their dog, riding bikes, driving alone in their cars, as if the covid virus is out there aiming for their noses. The reality is, you have to be around someone who is contagious, best in a closed, stagnant air location, for 15 minutes or more, or directly coughed upon. Outside in the fresh air? Seriously?

Face the reality, people. You ARE going to be exposed to covid-19. You may or may not even know it. If you get sick, you will likely recover and if you're vaccinated, you probably won't get sick, definitely won't get very sick, and end up in the hospital and you won't die. If you are not vaccinated, you might die. That's on you.

And don't forget: wearing a mask, unless it is an N95 will not save you. The mask makes it so YOU do not infect people at-risk, some of who may not know it. That's the rationale for masking and it makes some sense in that regard. If you're vaccinated, you are safe and those around you who are at-risk are surely safer than if you're not vaccinated.

This is not that difficult. Get vaccinated. Stay away from other people if you don't feel well. This applies to any transmissible virus infection.

Pages