Protected Bike Lane to be Completed

Protected Bike Lane to be Completed title=
Protected Bike Lane to be Completed

As a part of the 2016 Bicycle Master Plan, the City of Santa Barbara will soon complete its first protected bike lane.

The mile long route will connect the Eastside to downtown, running westward along Cota Street before returning east along Haley. This path will provide a safe route to school for Santa Barbara Junior High School students.

The complete Bicycle Master Plan outlines goals and strategies to improve bicycle safety and connectivity in the city limits. The plan has four main goals:

• to achieve safety for all road users
  • to close gaps in the bike network
  • to complete streets and multi-modal access
  • to develop a Santa Barbara style bicycle infrastructure

The City has been able to expand the bicycle network by almost 27 miles since the 1998 Bicycle plan.

Some argue that today’s safety problems on the road stem from confusion about the appropriate use of bikes on the street. The plan seeks to eliminate this confusion by educating community members, enforcing the rules of the road, and resolving conflicts in roadway design that do not fully address the safety needs of all users, including pedestrians and bikers.

The plan contends that closing gaps in the bicycle network will be essential in providing a safe, continuous path throughout the city that connects all neighborhoods and destinations. It also claims to make biking a more accessible and convenient option. In this manner, the plan will also support facilities that encourage biking.

Click here to learn more. You can see the full master plan here.

a-1566347801 Aug 25, 2017 12:42 PM
Protected Bike Lane to be Completed

Weird, and now the comment # has changed so it looks like I wrote the same comment to which I was replying. Something's screwy on this.....

a-1566347801 Aug 25, 2017 12:41 PM
Protected Bike Lane to be Completed

Which comment are you asking about? A-1503689990 is still here, not sure why, but it is. That's the comment to which I was replying.

420722 Aug 24, 2017 04:52 PM
Protected Bike Lane to be Completed

look at photos of other towns that have these bike lanes and notice how wide and big some off the places that have these protected lanes are. This is not suitable for Santa Barbara and just rode my yesterday so I'm not a bike hater just a realist. Are they taking parking away too? Turning cota into a one way? That makes more sense to me.

Roger Aug 24, 2017 04:12 PM
Protected Bike Lane to be Completed

You know that is tempting I did pull a guy off his bike one day when he grabbed my wallet that was years ago when I was younger and drunk..

laughing Aug 24, 2017 03:15 PM
Protected Bike Lane to be Completed

Roger do your King Kong imitation on them. They will never ride down your street again. I would expound but it's to graphic for most. lol

420722 Aug 24, 2017 01:31 PM
Protected Bike Lane to be Completed

I'll be in favor of these things when riders start riding in their own lanes and get OFF the sidewalks, cross walks and middle of the street where there IS a path for them.