By an edhat reader

A friend from out of town is planning to propose to their partner in Santa Barbara next month. They asked me for tips on great locations to have a picnic that's scenic and pop the question.

I had a few ideas for local beaches but am seeing if edhatters have other suggestions. Thanks all.

Idesofmarch Jun 05, 2022 02:40 PM
Proposal Spots in SB

For a building development definitely go with the scenery aspect. One of our beaches, or parks, as has been suggested. For something that requires viewing a business plan, maybe one of those rent-an-office places they have available in Paseo Nuevo? Or if the business is brick and mortar (which would be great in lower State area) maybe present the proposal at the empty location?

Mesarats Jun 05, 2022 03:04 PM
Proposal Spots in SB

The Whisper is a electric tour boat seats up to 6 very comfortable boat. Bring your own food and drinks. Sunset ride ?

Babycakes Jun 05, 2022 03:50 PM

- Courthouse Tower
- Very end of the breakwater walkway...or maybe on the whale tail bench
- Picnic bench at La Cumbre Peak
- Inspiration Point
- Bandstand at West Alameda Park

ParvoPup Jun 05, 2022 04:18 PM
Proposal Spots in SB

I'll go with Costco. Not only can you spend the rest of the day eating free samples but once married, you will be spending a lot of time there shopping for a years supply of toiletries.

millimesa Jun 05, 2022 05:35 PM
Proposal Spots in SB

Elings Park. Both the oak grove, accessed from Las Positas, and the hang glider hill acessed from Cliff Drive.

YepSB Jun 05, 2022 06:05 PM
Proposal Spots in SB

Have your friend consider Franceschi Park and the SBCC Great Meadow.

tinker1 Jun 05, 2022 07:11 PM
Proposal Spots in SB

I was proposed to at the botanical gardens in the redwood grove back when things weren’t so crowded and it could actually be a private moment

Laxer Jun 05, 2022 08:39 PM
Proposal Spots in SB

Probably the best spot would be the Chick-fil-A drive thru. My 2 cents.

YepSB Jun 05, 2022 08:52 PM
Proposal Spots in SB

Why would you bring that to this thread? Someone is asking community members to recommend a space that would make their friend's moment special. And you bring that to the table. Why would you do that?

Laxer Jun 07, 2022 08:31 PM
Proposal Spots in SB

The OP must have known there would be some wiseguy responses. I was hoping it would make at least one person chuckle. Maybe not since it didn't get any upvotes. I guess it wasn't as funny as the Costco comment. Just not my day.

My vote is the Courthouse Clocktower, end of Stearns Wharf, or Escondito Park basketball court picnic area. Happy?

swarfmaster Jun 05, 2022 08:40 PM
Proposal Spots in SB

Lotusland in the theater garden amongst the gnomes who are your witnesses.

NostraChumash Jun 05, 2022 09:17 PM
Proposal Spots in SB

The Cemetery overlooking the Sea..
When they ask, "Why have you brought me Here"?!..
Say, I wanted you to see our view for all Eternity..
Til Death-do-we-part..
Then take a knee.
Hey, it's different.

greg Jun 05, 2022 10:30 PM
Proposal Spots in SB

Not for a meal or large group, but my suggestion is to take a walk on Paterna Road saying there’s an unusual view not commonly known, then keep walking. The person might expect a panoramic view of the city and ocean, only to be surprised by our iconic frog shrine. Greg

greg Jun 05, 2022 10:38 PM
Proposal Spots in SB

There are many fine romantic or unusual gardens in Santa Barbara area. Ask friends and neighbors if they can think of a beautiful location to make a marriage proposal. I suggested to one friend they meander around a garden and it was a hidden bottle of champagne to discover perhaps with Ann engagement ring close by.

conniemara Jun 06, 2022 04:25 AM
Proposal Spots in SB

hire the private cute boat The whisper..part of the Lil" toot family.....take a picnic on board ...have a magical experience...hope she says yes :)

yacht rocked Jun 06, 2022 06:04 AM
Proposal Spots in SB

Don't forget to sign the pre-nup. ;-)

SBSand Jun 06, 2022 06:35 AM
Proposal Spots in SB

One of the mid-block courtyards of downtown... like Arcada Plaza, or the one just past Old Navy behind Peet's Coffee (that's a cool spot) or, my personal favorite, the courtyard next to El Paseo. Other neat places are at the Natural History Museum by the creek, Shoreline Park or Stearns Wharf at sunset, and of course on the Condor while whale watching.... find a pretty spot and do it.

a-1654525875 Jun 06, 2022 07:31 AM
Proposal Spots in SB

Is this for real? Do people really need to have a fancy location to propose? Why is a location important - isn't it a commitment between two people that's important? And I suppose the wedding will need to have an even larger fancier venue so the the thousands of photos will look fantastic. This entire concept is a joke.

Luvaduck Jun 06, 2022 07:57 AM
Proposal Spots in SB

Wherever you first met, assuming it's local and reasonably attractive.

a-1654527802 Jun 06, 2022 08:03 AM
Proposal Spots in SB

Carry the ring and make it spontaneous. You'll know when...

Gimli Jun 06, 2022 10:03 AM
Proposal Spots in SB

This would be a fun spot to propose, Sheer Delights Lingerie Boutique, 422 North Milpas St. Call ahead to make an appointment at (805) 568-1145. It is a very quaint lingerie boutique and all the lingerie is imported from Brazil and Columbia. Independently owned and very reasonable prices.

a-1654535890 Jun 06, 2022 10:18 AM
Proposal Spots in SB

It seems to me that people answering this question have determined that the proposal will be accepted. Otherwise I can't see how it is a good idea to trek out to a remote or hard to get back from site when the proposal has been rejected. Bound to be some tension. Much better to do it in a comfortable place that you both frequent and know.

a-1654536513 Jun 06, 2022 10:28 AM
Proposal Spots in SB

You're a glass half empty kind of guy aren't you?

pstarSR Jun 06, 2022 11:40 AM
Proposal Spots in SB

is this a proposal for people that dont know each other? this post sounds like you are meeting up to buy a used craiglist item. NOT propose. im sorry for whoever hurt you.....

helena Jun 06, 2022 12:14 PM
Proposal Spots in SB

The beach and Lotusland are wonderful places.
Adding the gorgeous Music Academy of the West to the list.

biguglystick Jun 06, 2022 09:37 PM
Proposal Spots in SB

Somewhere private... don't embarrass the person by proposing in a huge public way unless you are SURE of their acceptance ahead of time!! A lot of years in the service industry has taught me this. I've seen it go badly.

a-1654657830 Jun 07, 2022 08:10 PM
Proposal Spots in SB

I guess not Disney Paris. The film of the Disney employee sweeping through the proposal is priceless.

If I'd even considered getting engaged there, I'd take Disney up on a free offer!
My partner and I discussed marriage beforehand. Of course I accepted.

Proposal video on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/user/wasgehtlan/