Probation Officers Hand Out Wellness Bags

Source: Santa Barbara County Probation Department

On March 25, 2021, the Santa Barbara County Probation Department conducted county-wide wellness checks on active Probation and Post Release Community Supervision clients.  The operation specifically focused on probationers where it was determined there were children, victims, or vulnerable adults in the home.  These cases included, but were not limited to domestic violence, child abuse, elder abuse, family violence, and where there was a child likely residing in the home.  The operation included the cities and surrounding area of Santa Maria, Orcutt, Lompoc, Santa Barbara and Goleta.

This “Operation Safe At Home” event was the third in a series of operations executed during the COVID-19 pandemic.  The focus has been to perform wellness checks on active probationers and their families, observing living environments and documenting any needs of the family, providing information on probation and community resources, and deterring any future criminal activity by ensuring client compliance with their terms and conditions of probation.  Wellness bags with sanitizing products, resources and food were provided to each family and Easter-themed baskets were handed out to children. The operation was a success with a total of 24 Probation Officers participating visiting 33 locations. Zero arrests were made and families expressed appreciation for the resources and support. The Santa Barbara County Probation Department remains committed to community safety and taking a proactive role in accountability and family wellness.

For more information about the County of Santa Barbara Probation Department, go to www.sbprobation.org

LakerGirl Mar 28, 2021 07:04 PM
Probation Officers Hand Out Wellness Bags

California rewarding criminals. Anyone check in on women that have been raped or assaulted? The families whose businesses or jobs are gone forever?

doulie Mar 28, 2021 07:10 PM
Probation Officers Hand Out Wellness Bags

What is the difference between a probationer and a "Post Release Community Supervision" client? While I commend probation officers for taking the extra step to work with their probationers, are they required to care for the probationers family? What was the source of funding for this program? I don't agree with the extra care provided only to the probationer's family. I have little doubt employees of other county departments are aware of families that could have also benefited from these "wellness checks," families that do not have a family member that has been convicted of a crime. IMO, unless mandated otherwise, it would have been better to divide the "resources and support" provided by this program between the probation department and clients of a county social service agency. No arrests were made at the "33 locations." I'll guess all probationers residing at the locations were notified in advance the date their "wellness check" would occur.

Roger Mar 28, 2021 08:15 PM
Probation Officers Hand Out Wellness Bags

Families of those who are on probation are not on probation just because someone is related to a criminal does not mean they should be left out, my opinion.

67malibu Mar 29, 2021 12:52 PM
Probation Officers Hand Out Wellness Bags

Sounds more like a PR stunt by SB Co. Probation to demonstrate that they are not a "law enforcement" agency, which would be fine if they weren't allowed to carry badges and guns. You can't have it both ways, so decide what you are, and then diligently perform your sworn duty without advertising about it.

fleckser805 Mar 31, 2021 12:01 PM
Probation Officers Hand Out Wellness Bags

As a current person on felon probation I'm must say that it's amazing that the system is trying to help people. The ones who are saying negative stuff about helping out " Criminals " really people that is so rude of u. People do and can change especially when that person made a mistake. I feel that is amazing that the system is showing love and support to those who are on active probation and helping them to become part of society again. And also they do have programs to help the elderly so don't sit here and say negative stuff about the people and the programs that help "Criminals ". People are so quick to judge others just because of a bad choice they made. We must help out each other no matter what, it makes the world a better place. So a HUGE thank u to sb probation.

doulie Mar 31, 2021 03:58 PM
Probation Officers Hand Out Wellness Bags

FLECKSER - You were convicted of a felony crime for which some, not all people, will continually choose to label you a "criminal." It's not that you're being judged, it's a statement of fact. Do you believe it was "rude" to commit a violation of law against the person(s) or business(es) involved in your "bad choice?" Stay clean, get a job, complete your probation and you can succeed.

fleckser805 Apr 01, 2021 02:39 AM
Probation Officers Hand Out Wellness Bags

Actually I understand people opinions I don't like how people see it negative that probation give wellness bags out to low income family's that one is on probation. And to let u know I still had my job of 10 years even when I was convicted and currently on probation but unfortunately Covid19 took my job away. I really miss my job but I take it as ok well now I have more time to be with my family. But also being stay at home mother is a job in its self not easy. And if u think that is easy we'll I'm sorry but it's not all I'm trying to say was I'm glad to have the system want to help "criminals " turn their life's around. Helping others is what makes our world a better place