By an edhat reader

So they changed the polling location in our Goleta neighborhood from Jubilee Church on Hollister to Mariposa Retirement Home (somewhat uncomfortable in the coronavirus climate), but the worst part was there was no sign up at the church directing unsuspecting voters to the new location. Also, the location at the retirement home was not acceptable as an efficient voting place with everyone having to go into this tiny room after walking by the elderly folks having their dinner. It was understaffed and really chaotic to tell you the truth.

We watched as numerous people were walking up to Jubilee Church or driving through the parking lot having no idea where to cast their votes. I would imagine a lot of people did not vote last night due to the mishandling of our polling place.

mattyboy Mar 04, 2020 04:43 PM
Polling Issues in Goleta

My voting location changed. I looked it up before heading out and went to the new location. I had to pass by some other people of differing ages too!!!

bosco Mar 04, 2020 04:43 PM
Polling Issues in Goleta

Can someone explain to my why anyone would NOT vote by mail? I have only been voting for about 10 years but I have never in my life set foot in a polling place. Seeing all the complaining about voting locations, and longs lines, etc. it boggles my mind why anyone would choose to waste their time going to a polling place. Ballot shows up in my mail box, I fill it out, and put it back in the mail box... Done! Am I missing something here?

Ahchooo Mar 04, 2020 06:47 PM
Polling Issues in Goleta

I much prefer voting in person. Even when I’m forced to use a mail ballot, as I was this time (no polling place for my precinct), I take my mail ballot to another precinct’s polling place and turn it in there. It makes me feel connected to the community, and it gives me a sense of accomplishment.

a-1583381905 Mar 04, 2020 08:18 PM
Polling Issues in Goleta

You're missing the time honored national experience of doing your civic duty openly and in front of your community. Taking your time out of your day to make the effort to vote. Going to a a precinct. Walking into a booth and choosing who you want as the next president and of the United States. I vote by mail. But every year I walk to a precinct get checked in and place my prefilled out ballot into the box. I feel more comfortable and like I've done my civic duty then. It's not impersonal. But very personal to me.

a-1583415953 Mar 05, 2020 05:45 AM
Polling Issues in Goleta

My schedule was really busy and unpredictable this year so I voted by mail also. I think that as long as you vote, it doesn't matter how you do it! Some people like to go to the polling place and other people prefer to do it from home. And others, like me, do what works for them best at that time so they are making sure that they vote no matter what! It is very convenient to fill it out and mail it in. Makes me a little bit nervous though, I don't want my mail being intercepted by a mail carrier or someone else who is anti-political or something... The ballots also have you sign the OUTSIDE of the envelope that you're mailing and that's weird!

letmego Mar 05, 2020 04:01 PM
Polling Issues in Goleta

because sometimes you do it too early and your candidate drops out after you vote!

a-1583464053 Mar 05, 2020 07:07 PM
Polling Issues in Goleta

I normally vote by mail. But this year I (and almost everyone I know) waited until after the S.C. primary. Many of us are glad we did because we changed our vote for president as a result of that primary.

a-1583369695 Mar 04, 2020 04:54 PM
Polling Issues in Goleta

The only complaint is she did not read her voter information packet sent to her that told her where her polling place was located. Why the assumption it would be in exactly the same place every year. Might be better to visit County Elections Office to try and understand how they select voting locations, what that costs, how many are originally available on that date, and what standards must be met to be a qualified voting location. No reason for there to be a sign at the prior voting location. So the grounds for any formal complaint were exactly what? Rights and duties, remember. Duty to be an informed voter goes right along with our cherished right to vote. Did you notice there were pleas for additional polling place volunteers right up to election day? Volunteer next time to help out, if you were unhappy with your experience this time.

fluffy jake Mar 05, 2020 07:21 AM
Polling Issues in Goleta

I went to my polling place and needed a new ballot because my dog ripped up the one I got in the mail. I requested one and the polling person gave me a ballot that wasn't my registered party. I told her this and she insisted it was correct. I looked in the book and she had marked a name that wasn't mine. Okay error corrected. BUT she gave me a ballot that was already marked! Eventually, I got my ballot. I marked it, said a little prayer, and put it in the box.

paglinsb Mar 05, 2020 07:53 AM
Polling Issues in Goleta

I understand there was a shortage of volunteers this year to work at the polls. It is a difficult commitment involving training and then long hours —6 AM into the night!

Luvaduck Mar 05, 2020 08:12 AM
Polling Issues in Goleta

6a.m. to what? 8 or 9p.m.? That's 14 or 15 hours. It's a wonder they had any pole workers at all. That needs to be changed. Four or five hours max.

a-1583428545 Mar 05, 2020 09:15 AM
Polling Issues in Goleta

I agree! That's the reason we will NOT ever volunteer is the crazy LONG HOURS they expect you to be there. That needs to be changed by the November vote or they'll have even fewer volunteers!

a-1583428597 Mar 05, 2020 09:16 AM
Polling Issues in Goleta

Far too long! Cut the volunteer hours to maybe five at most

a-1583464312 Mar 05, 2020 07:11 PM
Polling Issues in Goleta

Yes, 6:45 until 8:30. We used to do it as part of a service club. We split up the shift and only worked half days. Of course our payment from the County went to the service club too...

El Barbareno Mar 05, 2020 09:48 AM
Polling Issues in Goleta

File a complaint? About what, your ignorance in not being able to read your voter info? So the city/county/state is now supposed to print up signs at all former voting places to tell people where they now have to go? What if the multiple precincts that voted at your former polling place are now spread out to two or more new locations? How will you know which new polling place to go? (Assuming of course that if you can't read your voter info you probably have no idea what precinct you are in).

a-1583446249 Mar 05, 2020 02:10 PM
Polling Issues in Goleta

As a polling place worker I’d like to offer some observations and clarifications. Firstly, it’s not a “volunteer” position but a seriously underpaid one. As a clerk we are paid $180 for 2 to 3 hours training and then 14 to 15 hours at the polls. Plus 2 half hour breaks. That works out to maybe $10 an hour. And some workers even volunteer an additional 2-3 hours to set up the polling place the night before. In my polling place, which is normally used as a church, it was necessary after the polls closed at 8 to spend another half hour to 45 minutes restoring it to its original condition, meaning replacing and aligning about 100 very heavy chairs which had been removed the night before.
My downtown polling place covered 2 precincts which involved 12 workers, including supervisors. I observed that all were conscientiously trying to help voters, efficiently and without delay, in sometimes trying situations.
This election was particularly difficult because of the number of ballots involved. Whereas a presidential or general election might only involve a couple of ballots in two languages this election, being a primary, involved 8 to 10 ballots in English and additional ballots in Spanish. This was because there was a separate ballot for each party affiliation, e.g., Green, Libertarian, Peace/Freedom, non-partisan. And because crossover voting was allowed on the Democratic side there were additional ballots for that. This caused confusion, additional steps in informing voters of their options and making sure they had the correct ballot. If a voter decided to vote for a party for which they were not registered they then had to fill out, and we had to process, a “provisional” ballot, which took more time and explanation.
Re Vote by Mail, many voters showed up without their mail-in ballot, or wanted to change it, which also required them to do a provisional ballot, again requiring more time.Yes, VBM certainly is more convenient and efficient but as was the case on Tuesday several of the candidates had dropped out of the race meaning mailed in ballots with votes for those candidates would not be counted. And by California law, that could not be changed.
Voters, locally at least, should be impressed with the efforts taken to ensure that they are able to vote, that their privacy will be respected, and their ballots are protected and handled with great care. I was proud to be a part of that process. Finally, I’ll be there again, underpaid, in November. BE SURE TO VOTE!

a-1583464565 Mar 05, 2020 07:16 PM
Polling Issues in Goleta

Thank you for doing this! I only worked the entire day once. After that, for five or six years, I was part of a service club and we split the shifts in half. Of course the service club got our huge paychecks.....lol

cmm3369 Mar 06, 2020 02:51 PM
Polling Issues in Goleta

I helped out at a polling place this year in IV. My first time actually. It was quite chaotic cause the precinct was split into two, and I had to help direct people to a specific table and line. I also was not even supposed to be a traffic clerk, but since I was already an extra clerk and the two traffic clerks didn’t show up I was given the task. I literally had to do the job of two people. There was a lot of conflicting info I was given throughout the day too, so I felt bad for people who I had told something only to be told something else. I just hope I did a good enough job and was able to help out the people who care in to the best of my abilities.

Get over it Mar 05, 2020 07:38 PM
Polling Issues in Goleta

Okay. Is it really that hard to look at your sample ballot and see where to vote? My God. If you're not competent enough to figure out where your polling place is, register ahead of time and basically know what's going on around you, you should not be voting. I agree that voting by mail is great. It's not as rewarding but takes out and polling place, transportation and whatever else people want to complain about issues. It's 100% free for those who are poor and you can wait until the last day if you can't seem to decide. USA bending over backwards to get people to vote and they still complain. you don't even have to have an ID .