Police Attempt to Track Down Another Check Thief

Source: Santa Barbara Police Department

The Santa Barbara Police Department Property Crimes Unit is looking for assistance in identifying a female subject that was captured depositing a stolen check in Redondo Beach, CA.

The check was stolen from the USPS collection bin on Anacapa Street in the City of Santa Barbara. The check was stolen and deposited in late April.

If you have any information, please contact Detective A. Beltran at (805) 897-2327 / abeltran@sbpd.com, or call anonymously to (805) 897-2386.

a-1573684217 Jun 28, 2019 05:18 PM
Police Attempt to Track Down Another Check Thief

At least the surveillance images are focused (pretty much) vs the usual horror pics released by SBPD, et al. However, this gal just might be recognized in this rare case. Once again, a Ring video doorbell provides far better resolution & overall quality.

Flicka Jun 27, 2019 03:27 PM
Police Attempt to Track Down Another Check Thief

This was done in late April? Couldn't we have heard about it a little sooner? Good clear picture, shouldn't have been hard to find her before so much time has gone by.

Luvaduck Jun 27, 2019 11:53 AM
Police Attempt to Track Down Another Check Thief

Hope to see her face as apprehended in a new Edhat posting. (To whomever decided a similar comment of mine was as a non-PC slur, survaillance photography doesn't delete "rich, white male" criminals. It lets police see criminals in the act so they can apprehend them. If you believe only non-white, non-male, poor people do this stuff, look in the mirror and you'll see who's prejudiced!)

paglinsb Jun 27, 2019 08:14 AM
Police Attempt to Track Down Another Check Thief

Sometimes on weekdays at the main PO they place one of those white plastic bins underneath the drop box to take overflow mail. Glad to see some drop boxes around town now have only a narrow slit for inserting mail to prevent theft. I only use those if mail will not be picked up until next day. (I had a check stolen from a drop box, altered, and cashed a couple of years ago. Bank was great and did not charge me. I think because it was clear that their teller who cashed it went against their policy. Tellers are not to cash checks written in wide felt pen, for one thing—they’re used to cover up the alterations.).

Luvaduck Jun 27, 2019 11:59 AM
Police Attempt to Track Down Another Check Thief

Obviously exaggeration, but something along the line of those things that don't let you back up out of garages & parking lots would be good as long as they don't seriously maim.

Roger Jun 27, 2019 09:01 AM
Police Attempt to Track Down Another Check Thief

Yes I agree I hate these kind of thieves as you will read in the S.R. FRYday morning let me put in a set of pointy steel teeth and I'll be in that chute myself...

smary Jun 27, 2019 07:36 AM
Police Attempt to Track Down Another Check Thief

ways to fish out mail in those drop boxes. After a month of paid bills were stolen from my mail box, I placed another month of paid bills in a drop box. None of them made it either. That was some time ago, but definitely wouldn't use those drop boxes if after last pickup of the day...ergo overnight.

a-1573684217 Jun 26, 2019 11:26 PM
Police Attempt to Track Down Another Check Thief

The thief likely just reached into the opening of the USPS collection bin when it was nearly overflowing with mail. I have seen those "bins" at the curb (for driver drop off) so full that one can easily grab a big handful of outgoing mail.