Penske Rental Truck Crashes into Hydrant

A large rental Penske truck crashed into a hydrant on Gutierrez and N. Quarantina Streets.

Video by an edhat reader

rwelsh Nov 02, 2019 11:44 AM
Penske Rental Truck Crashes into Hydrant

Do we know why the driver lost control and hit the hydrant? J.Palminteri said something about a driver being out of control.

Flicka Nov 02, 2019 10:09 AM
Penske Rental Truck Crashes into Hydrant

I agree with SHOREBIRD, amazing they turn inexperienced drivers out with the big rentals. I would guess they are hard to drive if you are only used to a regular passenger car.

a-1573805637 Nov 02, 2019 04:00 PM
Penske Rental Truck Crashes into Hydrant

Knowing a few LEO's on various forces, they all say give a very W I D E berth to all rental vans & especially the box trucks because those folks are most likely do a one way, one time move and never drive a vehicle that large. That's sage advice, IMO.

shorebird Nov 01, 2019 10:36 PM
Penske Rental Truck Crashes into Hydrant

I always consider rental trucks to be the most dangerous vehicles on the road and give them a wide berth. What you have there is a driver, in a very large vehicle, who has no experience driving it.

a-1573805637 Nov 03, 2019 11:56 AM
Penske Rental Truck Crashes into Hydrant

Whereas I consider every driver on the road to be a potential danger. You never know who will be "distracted," who will be drugged up, who may have a stroke, etc. Drive like they're all out to get you.

Roger Nov 02, 2019 06:24 AM
Penske Rental Truck Crashes into Hydrant

I spun out in one of those things once it was alot of fun some gal ran a stop sign at Garden and Sola streets had to hit the brakes, or her. Had a girl friends stuff in the back it all got broken too bad no one was helping me move the stuff so....Oh well. Police officer saw me do it he told me I was one heck of a driver too..

EastBeach Nov 01, 2019 06:27 PM
Penske Rental Truck Crashes into Hydrant

I almost wanted to post .... "rumor has it that Bob Hazard from Birnam Wood Golf Club in Montecito was seen running from the scene" :)

EastBeach Nov 01, 2019 06:25 PM
Penske Rental Truck Crashes into Hydrant

I was shopping at CVS a few blocks away so walked over to check it out. Wow, that hydrant must have been under pretty high pressure as the geyser was very tall and visible for many blocks. It was making a lot of noise and kids were having fun. There was an engine and a few fire fighters keeping things safe.

a-1573805637 Nov 02, 2019 04:03 PM
Penske Rental Truck Crashes into Hydrant

Who are the skunks at the garden party that downvote kids having fun post like Eastbeach's? Geeze, Louise! They must have way too much time on their hands.

PitMix Nov 04, 2019 01:41 PM
Penske Rental Truck Crashes into Hydrant

They charged me $300 for a small water leak in my yard that ran for several hours. So the appropriate fee for a hydrant break due to lost water is more like 20,000$. At minimum. But I have never heard that they go after the hydrant killers.

a-1573805637 Nov 02, 2019 04:04 PM
Penske Rental Truck Crashes into Hydrant

I'm sure the rental agency get a pound of the driver's flesh & have the bank account after that one unless the guy got the "Killer Deal" no deductible full coverage insurance with the rental.

FredMertzEE Nov 01, 2019 04:42 PM
Penske Rental Truck Crashes into Hydrant

I can see a fountain/plume of water shooting high into the air from over a mile away. Looks like an enormous amount of pressure and water is being released.