Update by edhat staff
July 13, 2021

Authorities have released the name of the woman killed while walking along Highway 101 early Sunday.

The Santa Barbara County Sheriff Coroner's Bureau has identified the decedent as 23-year-old Nicole Marie Harris of Temecula.

Around 12:50 a.m., Santa Barbara City firefighters responded to the northbound lanes of Highway 101 near Garden Street and discovered a vehicle had struck a pedestrian. Responders believed Harris and two other friends were from out of town and were attempting to run across the freeway to get to downtown Santa Barbara.

Harris was struck by a vehicle and her friends, who were unharmed, pulled her to the side of the road and began CPR. The driver also pulled over after the collision. When first responders arrived, Harris was declared dead on arrival.

California Highway Patrol is investigating the collision.

By Scanner Andrew
1:15 a.m., July 11, 2021

A vehicle hit a pedestrian on Hwy 101 northbound between Castillo and Garden.

a-1625992699 Jul 11, 2021 01:38 AM

What the...
RIP.
I guess a fatality is why it's listed on CHP site as Hit and Run No Injuries?!

12:58 AM 10 START CTS FOR HARD CLOSURE
12:56 AM 9 XRAY WAS IN CD AND CROSSED OVER INTO #1
12:56 AM 8 [CHP]-Problem changed from PED-Pedestrian to 20002-Hit and Run No Injuries by CHP
12:55 AM 7 [13] 1039 SBPD
12:55 AM 6 INVL'D LL- BLK CHEV TAHOE ON RS @ EXIT 97
12:54 AM 5 SBPD HAS FIRE ENRT
12:54 AM 4 XRAY ON RHS
12:54 AM 3 VEH CONT ON
12:54 AM 2 VEH VS PED
12:53 AM 1 XRAY GOT HIT BY VEH

JB86 Jul 11, 2021 01:54 AM
Pedestrian Identified in Fatal Highway 101 Collision

Our regional CHP dispatch is notorious for not fully reporting. Check out 'Hot Spots' and you will see much more detail and facts in most other districts. This incident didn't even make the hot spots list.

JB86 Jul 11, 2021 01:46 AM
Pedestrian Identified in Fatal Highway 101 Collision

Weird how our local CHP logs things, compared to other divisions, where most are straight-forward about extent of injuries. The way Ventura/Coastal logs things, this incident wouldn't likely make the 'Hot Spots' list. Maybe that helps avoid media bothering them.
That said, this is terrible. Obviously someone not thinking clearly. Did the system fail to recognize her issues? Was she one of the homeless insane we see every day? Just terribly sad.

Hammonds Hound Jul 11, 2021 01:01 PM
Pedestrian Identified in Fatal Highway 101 Collision

At about 10:30 am yesterday I was in the slow lane NB when I saw a man at the Castillo on-ramp dancing crazily. Notified CHP. When I was returning SB about 20 minutes later I saw five or six CHP and Sheriff’s vehicles at the on-ramp at 101. At first I thought the guy got hit but evidently no . Terrible spot lately. So sad.

SBSand Jul 11, 2021 01:02 PM
Pedestrian Identified in Fatal Highway 101 Collision

That has long been a really bad spot for homeless people trying to cross the freeway. I do not understand the reason they do that right there when there are underpasses to use. It's not a new problem, we just hear about it now because of platforms like this.

edney Jul 11, 2021 01:32 PM
Pedestrian Identified in Fatal Highway 101 Collision

People make bad decisions when they are unimpaired by drugs, alcohol and in the best of mental, physical and emotional health.
It could be anything from "shortest distance between two points" or escaping an abuser, to over intoxication or all three combined.
Thomas Hobbes could have been speaking about the homeless encampments when he wrote in Leviathan
".... and which is worst of all, continual fear, and danger of violent death; and the life of man, solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short."

I think we all agree that working to ID the newly homeless and getting them help immediately before the spiral brings them too far down should remain our priority. In order to accomplish this we need to both act quickly and spend money wisely. I'm not sure we've elected people who can do those two things.

SBSand Jul 12, 2021 10:53 AM
Pedestrian Identified in Fatal Highway 101 Collision

Because it usually is in that part of town. I see on Noozhawk is says it was a girl in her 20s, heading to the bars, tourists. Seems like a very odd choice for them to run across the freeway, especially so close to the State Street underpass :(

Henry Sarria Jul 13, 2021 09:47 AM
Pedestrian Identified in Fatal Highway 101 Collision

Truly sad. What the hell were they thinking? I gtet it, you want to party, hit the State Street hot spots & such, but damn... walking across the 101? My only hope is beyond those involved, lessons were learned.

SBSand Jul 13, 2021 01:43 PM
Pedestrian Identified in Fatal Highway 101 Collision

As a parent I can only imagine what the parents are thinking and feeling. I am so confused by the decision these girls made and so sad that it was an irreversible decision :(

edney Jul 13, 2021 01:09 PM
Pedestrian Identified in Fatal Highway 101 Collision

I was wrong to assume it was homeless people, but given the fact that there are so many reported close calls around the encampments odds were pretty good.
Noting that the homeless along the freeway and on off ramps wander out into the road frequently isn't being judgemental. Its judgemental when I say things like "they are out there because of drugs, or alcohol and so its their fault they got run over".
I'll try to do better

Watcher237 Jul 13, 2021 07:51 PM
Pedestrian Identified in Fatal Highway 101 Collision

I did see a homeless person crossing 101 on that same day, around 8:00 PM. Just moving across the northbound lanes of the freeway. Cars slowed, stopped, and he just meandered across as the entitled individual that he was. He made it to the center and by then I was past. This incident was just a sad case of poor judgement. Very sad.

PitMix Jul 15, 2021 12:05 PM
Pedestrian Identified in Fatal Highway 101 Collision

12:50 pm is daytime, right? I guess they mean a.m.
Would be interesting to know how the 3 actually got on the highway and why they thought it was a good idea to cross there.....