Overdose Response on State Street

By Roger the Scanner Guy

Overdose in the 700 block of State Street. Fire Department, Medic's, SBPD Code 3...

localSBtown Sep 02, 2021 08:50 AM
Overdose Response on State Street

I walked by while this was happening. Police had to forcefully hold down and restrain individual while trying to lift them onto stretcher. He or she (I couldn't really tell) was screaming and kicking protesting going to the hospital saying "I don't need you!" and "This is against my will!" It took about 6 people to keep them under control. Hell of a drug... sad.

Somewhere Over ... Sep 02, 2021 09:59 AM
Overdose Response on State Street

Roger: You say you hear about 2 of the overdose cases each day. Edhat is the only place I ever see this type of thing reported and not all cases are saved, many do not make it. Makes me wonder why the county/government isn't making it a point to let the public know just how deadly this fentanyl drug is by putting the statistics for daily cases out there? My son died recently, 4.0 student ready to transfer to UCSB on full scholarship, Phi Beta Kappa. He encountered 1 wrong person around town that he knew years ago on the first day of his 1 weeksummer break from school and now he is gone. People need to know that there is no such thing as "a little bit" when it comes to fentanyl. "Zero" is what it means when they say "it only takes a little bit" and if you are alone, don't rely on the hope that family, friends or first responders will get to you in time. Thanks for letting me share my thoughts on the subject. Hoping to save another parent the grief I'm going through.

BrightSideOfTheRoad Sep 02, 2021 11:42 AM
Overdose Response on State Street

@somewhereover

I’ve been thinking about you ever since you shared about losing your son. I hope that you’re feeling loved/supported.

My son, who had been sober for almost a year, just spent 11 days at Cottage after an accidental overdose (he naively thought what he took, also given to him by a friend, was safe...but it was fentanyl). Every first responder/nurse/doctor, etc that we had said there has been a major increase in SB, especially among teens.

You’re right that roger is the only one that ever reports on it.

*PS any of you looking to scold my son or me for his choices can save your breath.

Somewhere Over ... Sep 03, 2021 11:04 AM
Overdose Response on State Street

Brightside... your son's situation sounds very similar to mine, clean since 2016 and old enough to know better but unfortunately, he was also a very trusting and honest guy who struggled to find friends here in SB due to COVID. The only acquaintances here were from years ago and not what would be called "good friends" or "friends from school". He was active in the men's ministry at Anthem Church until he came upon this other person. (no names will be revealed at this time)

And I also love your PS at the end of your comment... I scolded and preached and reminded and watched over my son like a hawk. Didn't matter in the end, he was alone in his room while the rest of us were asleep and it only took 1 puff and 20 seconds he was gone. So sad they do not let the public know how many calls they get each day... not deaths, just calls. I'm finding the # is much higher than people realize and if they did know, I think it would make a huge difference.

Anyway... Hoping the rest of your son's road stays straight without curves. Love him every day as I did mine. Thank you again for reply to my post.

Randy Parks Sep 02, 2021 10:40 AM
Overdose Response on State Street

NOT 2 OD's a DAY <> Jun 22, 2021: Sheriff’s deputies are dispatched to medical calls of unconscious patients and drug overdoses in an effort to get help to patients as quickly as possible. Deputies have administered the fentanyl overdose reversal drug, Naloxone, 21 times in 2020, and 11 times so far in 2021. The Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office Coroner’s Bureau recorded 32 fentanyl overdose deaths in 2020. Statistics for fentanyl overdose deaths in 2021 are pending with at least a dozen suspected cases.

SOURCE: https://www.sbsheriff.org/deputies-respond-to-overdose-and-discover-illegal-drugs-and-weapons/

BrightSideOfTheRoad Sep 02, 2021 12:37 PM
Overdose Response on State Street

Pretty sure that report only accounts for Sheriff Dept responses. In our case, we had SB Police, fire fighters + ambulance.

Randy Parks Sep 02, 2021 02:11 PM
Overdose Response on State Street

When a "911" call is made, for fentanyl OD, although an ambulance or fire department may respond, the SBPD, SBSO... respond and handle these "OD" cases, as they are equipped (trained) to administer Naloxone quickly...

Regardless of who helps; The Santa Barbara COUNTY, note that COUNTY Sheriff’s Office Coroner’s Bureau recorded 32 fentanyl overdose deaths in 2020. My point was/is, that there are NOT 2 ODs a day as (SomeWhere... ) stated that Roger had reported.