New Park Hours Promote Safety title=

Source: City of Santa Barbara

City parks have new hours allowing visitors to enjoy the park until it's dark. Designed to benefit park users and the community by improving safety, parks are open from sunrise to 1/2 an hour after sunset. While the new hours create consistent closing times, other safety changes also affect playgrounds and portable barbecues.

Lem4058 Jan 11, 2020 03:06 PM
New Park Hours Promote Safety

It's a lazy and ineffective attempt to control overnight campers. It gets dark at 5:00 PM, and my dog still needs to be walked, preferably in the local park. I see kids playing basketball in the dark at 7:30 PM. I'm glad they still use the park, but it's ridiculous there aren't lights and that if a cop wanted to hassle then, they could. Silly, aggravating, shortsighted rule.

RHS Jan 11, 2020 10:24 AM
New Park Hours Promote Safety

The argument that we should keep repressive laws and trust the cops to enforce them only against "bad folks" is the basic weapon of fascism. Remember Animal Farm: All the animals are equal, but some are more equal than others. If we have laws they need to be enforced against all (it's called "equal protection" in our Constitution). If we don't want them enforced against all then we need to change them. Settling for selective enforcement is a real scary step.

a-1582802117 Jan 11, 2020 08:58 AM
New Park Hours Promote Safety

Every time the city makes a critical decision, they give us this pros/cons list of things that their decisions are good for. Except they leave out the cons. That job is for us. I can just see these pension monkey's sitting around a room coming up with "positives" for cases like this. However, when you have few positives it's always the same basic line items. Such as this one. It's safer. Empty parks are safer. Clown Town.

a-1582802117 Jan 10, 2020 10:09 PM
New Park Hours Promote Safety

Thinking about how the Tucker's Grove park guy lectured and lectured me about almost missing the park's closing time, still makes me smile. I had thought I was coming off the trail in plenty of time. Guess what? My watch was an hour off: Daylight Saving had caught me offguard. Mea culpa, mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa.

a-1582802117 Jan 12, 2020 02:00 AM
New Park Hours Promote Safety

Tucker’s Grove is a county park. Why would you think it’s now In Goleta? County parks have always closed at sunset.

a-1582802117 Jan 11, 2020 10:20 AM
New Park Hours Promote Safety

Tuckers Grove is a County Park (now Goleta?). But they did have a really obnoxious ranger working there for years.

420722 Jan 10, 2020 05:52 PM
New Park Hours Promote Safety

If they actually enforce this new rule I am wondering where the park dwellers will actually go. You realize they won’t be “leaving” SB just going somewhere else. Where is the question?

Eminence Threat Jan 10, 2020 04:56 PM
New Park Hours Promote Safety

... "Camping your honor.. ? Oh No. I was enjoying a nighttime stroll when I saw this tent breaking the law. As good citizen, I looked to make sure they were safe and that's when the police showed up and racially profiled me and used excessive force while misgendering me." ... "Oh no sir..!, the meth, the stolen bicycles, the laptops and none of the phones were mine." ... "Is that so...? Well, it must be someone with the same fingerprints as me, because my attorneys say that the racism and sexism in your police departments is the real crime here." ... There will be Pros.

a-1582802117 Jan 10, 2020 02:22 PM
New Park Hours Promote Safety

This is a great "tool" for keeping the bums out of our parks. As earlier commenter stated, there's no need for a fine upstanding night stroller to feel put upon. Enjoy your walks and be happy that SBPD will now be hustling the "campers" out of your space and face.

a-1582802117 Jan 10, 2020 02:09 PM
New Park Hours Promote Safety

Thank the vagrants for this. They have completed taken over our parks and they now belong to them. We pay a large percent of our savings each year in property taxes for parks that are covered in human feces, trash needles, pipes and tents. Taxpayers get screwed and vagrants can live wherever they want for free.

hz Jan 10, 2020 01:33 PM
New Park Hours Promote Safety

No more full moon night walks along shoreline..I personally resent this new rule deying me access to night time strills...THis is not OK!

a-1582802117 Jan 10, 2020 02:05 PM
New Park Hours Promote Safety

Keep up the Shoreline night walks. I doubt the police would enforce someone casually walking the through the park. This gives SBPD some more tools to deal with vagrants and complaints. In my experience, we have a fairly practically minded police force.

winter Jan 10, 2020 12:51 PM
New Park Hours Promote Safety

I feel sad about this...my kids grew up here...we did not walk late...but would go after dinner. Also, the tourists, from all over the world.. Guess the hotel clerks will have to explain that the homeless, have taken over.

a-1582802117 Jan 10, 2020 12:43 PM
New Park Hours Promote Safety

Will this fix the syringes in the grass and human feces in the bushes?