Naples Bluffs Up For Auction

By an edhat reader

I was disappointed to learn that 207 acres of the beautiful mostly undeveloped Naples bluffs are up for auction on December 9.

Click here to view the listing.

I was hoping they might eventually be turned into a public park or nature preserve.  While most of the trees are non-native, there are still a lot of native chaparral and grasses.   There used to be an oilfield here several decades ago, but Arco Oil did a good job of removing most of the above-ground traces.

Does anyone know the restrictions of development?  I hope the new buyers do not put a mini-mansion on every half-acre.  Also, I have heard a rumor that  a new future North/South coastal trail or bike path may run through this property.  Is this true?  I hope the new landowners will allow easier access to the Naples Reef beach and Driftwoods beach.

dboy57 Dec 06, 2020 03:22 PM
Naples Bluffs Up For Auction

They have been up for sale for many years now, 100 million for the beach side parcel, 100 million for the mountain side of 101.... SAD!................

a-1607371570 Dec 07, 2020 12:06 PM
Naples Bluffs Up For Auction

Both parcels are beach side and it's an auction so the purchase price depends on the bidding. You might want to click on the links and see what is actually involved in the sale but skip the video as it's loaded with innuendo and false claims.

dukemunson Dec 06, 2020 03:43 PM
Naples Bluffs Up For Auction

They can’t build more than a house or two total on the entire property at this point... so whoever buys it isn’t buying it with any chance to develop it Any capacity beyond a single mansion and an out building or three.

a-1607302500 Dec 06, 2020 04:55 PM
Naples Bluffs Up For Auction

Source? The auction page shows plans with 5-8 separate residences. Obviously they're not approved plans, but I doubt they would include them if there is no possible legal avenue to build that many homes (or more).

dukemunson Dec 06, 2020 05:18 PM
Naples Bluffs Up For Auction

Look at it again... there are 2 building envelopes that allow for 2 spots... and yeah an ancillary structure or 3 each... but 2 compounds. There is a reason this place can’t sell... they’ve been looking for 100 million and you gotta build your own house (and that’s pretty much all you can build)

a-1607322121 Dec 06, 2020 10:22 PM
Naples Bluffs Up For Auction

I see, thank you for explaining. It looked like more than 2 to me, but I forget that people with 100 million dollars don't only build a house and garage.

Ahchooo Dec 06, 2020 06:31 PM
Naples Bluffs Up For Auction

I’d love to buy it and just keep it as is. Maybe allow tent camping for a few weeks out of the year.

a-1607354813 Dec 07, 2020 07:26 AM
Naples Bluffs Up For Auction

It looks to me like there is only a small buildable portion on the parcel, and the rest is public (coastal access, railroad, and trail) and conservation easement.

PitMix Dec 07, 2020 07:56 AM
Naples Bluffs Up For Auction

207 acres, if you have a lot of $ lying around, might be a good investment for the future. But the proximity to the 101 makes it unattractive to me- I'd take the cash and buy up as much of Hollister Ranch as I could.

theaaaron Dec 07, 2020 11:29 AM
Naples Bluffs Up For Auction

The actual property that is up for auction is what is known as Paradiso del Mar. If you want to stop development there or learn more about how to preserve the Gaviota coast join Gaviota Coast Conservancy or Surfrider foundation Santa Barbara chapter. Both those organizations have been fighting development at this particular site and others for decades!