Dear Edda,

Please help settle a disagreement.  I am aware of the need to self-isolate and wear masks and such.  But masks are really uncomfortable for me because I have sort of a large nose.  So the mask pushes down on it and I can’t breathe very well.  I think it’s okay to wear it lower on my face because my mouth is still covered.  My wife insists I’m wrong and is very upset with me and says she can’t believe I think that. The other day we noticed that our two kids were also wearing their masks “like Dad”, and my wife went off the deep end. She is threatening to duct tape the masks to our faces. I think she’s kidding, but please tell me if you think she’s right.

-Rhino

- - - - - -

Dear Rhino,

Yes.  She’s right. In fact, judging from your letter, I’m going to just go ahead and say that she is probably right more often than not.  So, save yourself some trouble and listen to what she says. And also, remember to back her up with regard to the kids.

Masks should cover BOTH the mouth AND the nose.  They are not designed for comfort or style, but for protection against airborne particles, both for the wearer and others.

-Edda

CCHandyMan May 17, 2020 06:42 AM
My Mask Doesn't Cover My Nose

I'm assuming that you're probably in your 30's or 40s as you have kids. Have you not learned in those many years that you won't win an argument with a woman. That they're right more often than not. We men just form opinions and stick by them right or wrong. Give in and take your medicine like a big boy.

a-1589727185 May 17, 2020 07:53 AM
My Mask Doesn't Cover My Nose

You may want to rethink the mask. I'm not a paid member so I can't post a link - but you can do a search: "neurosurgeon says that wearing a mask can cause the virus to go to your brain. And wearing a mask can make healthy people sick from reduced oxygen levels."
Also, a NY Post article: "Two Boys Drop Dead in China While Wearing Masks During Gym Class".

a-1589731477 May 17, 2020 09:04 AM
My Mask Doesn't Cover My Nose

7:53 AM... you gots to stop reading the Epoch Times. It really IS fake news.

a-1589768974 May 17, 2020 07:29 PM

Please read the post above: AHCHOOO 4 MAY 17, 2020 06:17 PM
And give a darn about others. Thank you.

Kortneypayge May 17, 2020 08:18 AM
My Mask Doesn't Cover My Nose

Wearing your mask on only your mouth is like wearing only half of a suit of armor. If you we’re a knight and only had the top half of a suit of armor on, your crotch would be exposed to all sorts of things. You could get frostbite, ticks, arrows, splinters, etc. in your lower have of your body. Would you want to get frostbite on your privates? Probably not. Same goes with the mask. You can still get pathogens coming in through your nose. It likely won’t be pleasant if you do get sick.

a-1589729727 May 17, 2020 08:35 AM
My Mask Doesn't Cover My Nose

Kortneypayge, You apparently don't understand the reason for us wearing these masks. The reason for the mask isn't to prevent us from "getting" a virus, it is to keep us from spreading it to others as you breath, cough, etc.

Kortneypayge May 17, 2020 09:32 AM
My Mask Doesn't Cover My Nose

It’s a little bit of both actually. Sorry I didn’t acknowledge how the suit of armor applies to keeping you from spreading the virus. In that case, having half of a suit of armor on would be pretty similar to the urine analogy. I don’t know if you’ve seen it, but basically if you and someone standing nearby are both not wearing pants and you pee, they will get splashed. If they have pants their pants will get wet, but their skin won’t be as wet. If you both wear pants, the other person probably won’t get pee on them because the “pee-er’s” pants will hold most of his urine.

Lucky 777 May 17, 2020 08:28 AM
My Mask Doesn't Cover My Nose

You can also find articles online that say the virus can contaminate you through your eyes. If your schnozz is being squashed by the little fabric masks get a real N95 that has a metal clip above your nose and peaks it out for easier breathing. Or gaiters made of light weight material that go around your neck and you can pull them up over your mouth and nose when necessary.

Crystalandmaui May 17, 2020 08:46 AM
My Mask Doesn't Cover My Nose

I have said the same thing to a lot of people, wear your mask over your nose also, it’s to protect you and others.
The liquor store on Summerland is not following any rules, he is letting as many people in, and without a mask.
I went in there yesterday because it’s our only store now in Summerland and asked him about people in here without a mask, he had no real answer just that he hasn’t put up a sign nor saying to people. Yes I did have my mask on, but will not go back till I see he is following guide lines on what to do. All other places here do have a must wear mask sign on their doors.

Seabird May 17, 2020 11:42 AM
My Mask Doesn't Cover My Nose

@Maui, this is perhaps because the mask/capacity requirement is for the City of SB, not county-wide.

a-1589740676 May 17, 2020 11:37 AM
My Mask Doesn't Cover My Nose

A randomized small particle leaves a nostril weighing 2 nano grams holding a viral load of 127k and travels through an N95 mask heading due west. At what speed must the easterly wind travel to for the droplet to travel 10 feet?

Minibeast May 17, 2020 04:51 PM
My Mask Doesn't Cover My Nose

MAY 17, 2020 11:37 AM. What species has a nostril that weighs 2 nano grams is the question.

haskelslocal May 18, 2020 12:02 PM
My Mask Doesn't Cover My Nose

A random human being leaves an airport traveling 3 miles per hour. You. How do airports travel 3 miles per hour. English classes: We're looking for new students.

ginger1 May 17, 2020 11:56 AM
My Mask Doesn't Cover My Nose

Please educate yourself. The titles with ** can be used to Google Search.

#1: From the University of Minnesota Center for Infectious Diseases. **The Wearing of Masks is Not Based on Sound Data** https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/04/commentary-masks-all-covid-19-not-based-sound-data "In sum, given the paucity of information about their performance as source control in real- world settings, along with the extremely low efficiency of *cloth masks* as filters and their poor fit, there is no evidence to support their use by the public or healthcare workers to control the emission of particles from the wearer."

#2: From the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. This is the European Union UK joint agency, like our EDC. https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/COVID-19-use-face-masks-community.pdf **Using Face Masks in the Community** This is a peer-reviewed, well referenced article.

This is especially important for those of you who are wearing face covering thinking you are protecting yourself. You are not. This is for people who are constantly touching it, pulling it down exposing your nose, or otherwise wearing it incorrectly and inappropriately. You are doing no one a favor.

“The use of face masks may provide a false sense of security leading to suboptimal physical distancing,poor respiratory etiquette and hand hygiene–and even not staying at home when ill. There is a risk that improper removal of the face mask, handling of a contaminated face mask or an increased tendency to touch the face while wearing a face mask by healthy persons might actually increase the risk of transmission.”

a-1589769022 May 17, 2020 07:30 PM
My Mask Doesn't Cover My Nose

Please read the post above: AHCHOOO 4 MAY 17, 2020 06:17 PM And give a darn about others. Thank you.

jak May 17, 2020 12:27 PM
My Mask Doesn't Cover My Nose

Masks are a significantly bigger imposition on those with “non-standard” faces and also on eyeglass users. Especially safety eyewear. Foggy lenses are a drag. My employer was allowing those with certain face shapes, facial hair, etc. to cover mouth only while wearing prescription safety glasses. For the past few weeks they have been offering so many styles and sizes that they now require masks for everyone at all times and locations except while eating and drinking.

a-1589755851 May 17, 2020 03:50 PM
My Mask Doesn't Cover My Nose

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." —George Carlin

Minibeast May 17, 2020 05:05 PM
My Mask Doesn't Cover My Nose

If Dr. Fauci is wearing a mask, that's good enough for me. All this "talk" of touching your face more, having a false sense of security, is this to protect one's self or others? and so on------until Fauci comes right out and tells us wearing masks is ineffective, useless and unnecessary, I'm going to stick with "it's better than nothing" and "better safe than sorry."

Minibeast May 17, 2020 05:07 PM
My Mask Doesn't Cover My Nose

P.S. (I was sorely tempted to make a "mouth breather" joke aimed at the OP, but Edhat would just delete it.)

shorebird May 17, 2020 05:12 PM
My Mask Doesn't Cover My Nose

Dear Mouth Breathers: COVID 19 is a respiratory disease. It’s ok if you don’t want the mask to cover your nose. You just need to wear a clothes pin on your nose too and everything will be ok.

Bene May 17, 2020 05:15 PM
My Mask Doesn't Cover My Nose

It is widely reported that wearing a mask is to protect others, not the wearer. But I have yet to find any source that explains why that would be so. Since it is the same material that is supposedly blocking "stuff" from coming out, why would that same material not block some "stuff" from coming in? Does anyone have a source that explains why a mask would block "egress" but not "ingress?"

Ahchooo May 17, 2020 06:17 PM
My Mask Doesn't Cover My Nose

What I have read is that the mask reduces the amount of spray that the wearer spreads around. Simple cotton masks don’t stop all of the tiny virus particles, but they stop a lot of them, especially as the particles are in the moisture that we emit when speaking or coughing, and that moisture is trapped and absorbed by the cotton. The wearer’s droplets are stopped at the source. But since the cotton mask is not a complete barrier, the wearer can inhale virus particles that are able to filter through the mask. The mask will stop some virus from coming in, but it can’t be guaranteed. Likewise, if the wearer is infected, a few virus particles may get through, but most will not, because they are suspended in the moisture from the wearer’s mouth/nose. Cotton masks are not a guarantee, but they substantially reduce the amount of virus particles that are spread. Note that one should be careful when removing a mask, and wash it every day, because some particles from other people may be sitting on the outside of the mask, stopped by the cotton, but still able to infect the wearer. Sorry, I don’t have any articles to cite.

Tee Gee May 17, 2020 05:25 PM
My Mask Doesn't Cover My Nose

Today i saw someone in public with a mask covering his mouth- only his mouth and not his nose. This struck me as inadequate, but upon further perusal I also noticed that his blue trousers were slung well below his buttocks, exposing his red colored boxer shorts. I can't help but note some consistency. In this day and age, it's important to be thorough.

ginger1 May 17, 2020 05:54 PM
My Mask Doesn't Cover My Nose

Minibeast: go right ahead and believe everything the government tells you. How well did that work out in 1942? (1938 if you were in Germany or France) I bet you're a fan of and you watch daily: [choose any one or more]: CNN, Fox, MSNBC, I thought Fauci was on the right track. Two months ago. Now he just makes things up, changes his tune weekly and his credibility is zero. Wolf Blitzer was "reporting" about the children getting this rare and newly named disorder. "Over two hundred children! Two hundred children effected by COVID. 55 in NY, 5 and now we hear of 4 in France!" Well, does that add up to 200? Next, Sanjay Gupta comes on and says: well actually no one knows if this is related to COVID. Only one child tested positive and one test is pending, the majority not tested. And it still a very, very rare condition. So, go ahead. Watch the so-called news. Better go run and hide.

a-1589764968 May 17, 2020 06:22 PM
My Mask Doesn't Cover My Nose

This is a new virus. There’s a lot we don’t know. Recommendations will change as we learn new stuff. Don’t make any one source your god, but look at multiple sources, multiple experts.

a-1589769264 May 17, 2020 07:34 PM

What has Fauci and other **medical professionals** made up? =================
Please tell us and cite sources.
There are articles out today re: the pediatric inflammatory condition. Sure, there are not many stricken. But I'd rather know about it than not.
I searched "children inflammatory disease news"

Potif May 18, 2020 03:54 AM
My Mask Doesn't Cover My Nose

I know I've written this before. It is still true. Nurses wear masks for two reasons. To protect themselves from a disease the patient has, and/or to protect the patient from a disease that the nurse may have, and doesn’t necessarily know he/she has. You could have the virus, be asymptotic, and spread the disease to others without the use of a mask. And, why does everyone think that nurses in hospitals are wearing masks and other protective gear when treating COVID-19 patients, and others with transmissible diseases. Without the mask, the rest of the protective gear is close to useless in most diseases. And, yes, the mask needs to cover the nose as well as the mouth. It protects both people if they are near each other better than no barrier at all. One from getting a disease, and the other from giving it. And, I don’t want to hear anyone say, “but, I’m not sick!”... as there are many with Covid19 who don’t show symptoms, or have it and have not yet started showing symptoms... even though they are still contagious. Ideally, a clear plastic cover to protect your eyes, could also be worn as they do in hospitals. But even glasses, or sunglasses help. I usually wash my glasses after I come in, while I wash my hands, with mildly warm water, and soap.

HenryHatter May 18, 2020 10:37 AM
My Mask Doesn't Cover My Nose

When on April 17 five SF Bay Area counties simultaneously issued orders requiring everyone inside essential businesses (including customers) to wear a mask, they spelled out a ban on one type of mask, as follows.

"Note that any mask that incorporates a one-way valve (typically a raised plastic cylinder about the size of a quarter on the front or side of the mask) that is designed to facilitate easy exhaling is not a Face Covering under this Order and is not to be used to comply with this Order's requirements. Valves of that type permit droplet release from the mask, putting others nearby at risk." (Order C19-12 of the Health Officer, City and County of San Francisco.)