Movies Way Back When: Flying A Expanding Up and Out
By Betsy J. Green
Santa Barbara’s very own movie company was featured in a 1915 magazine titled "In Motion Picture Land," which called it one of the most attractive studios in California.
Things must have been going well for the studio – they bought more property on the block and were beginning to build a glass studio 120’ wide by 170’ long, and a 50’-tall tower. The steel-framed glass building was built on an angle to take advantage of the sun’s path. The designs were drawn by SB architect J. Corbley Pool, who also designed the Recreation Center on Carrillo and Anacapa. In addition to his training as an architect, Pool was also an acoustic engineer. The glass studio was around until the 1940s or 50s.