Mountain Lion on Anacapa Street

Mountain lion seen in a Backyard in the 2300 Block of Anacapa Street, per SBPD City Dispatch.

biguglystick Dec 28, 2018 12:24 PM
Mountain Lion on Anacapa Street

I always hate to hear of people seeing mountain lions because often it ends tragically for the mountain lion. Remember, THEY were here first, not us. Learn to be smart about cohabitation with our beautiful native wildlife. The Mountain Lion Foundation educates people to get as 'big' as possible in a mountain lion encounter. Do NOT run. Yell, whistle, raise your arms up high. If you have small children, pick them up and put them on your shoulders to appear bigger. Mountain lions are afraid of us and attacks are very rare, usually only in cases where the lion is cornered or a mother with young cubs. I really hope this young mountain lion makes it. I saw John Palminteri say they relocated it, but it looks like a subadult, and usually they stay with their mothers and family for up to three years before they strike out on their own.

a-1569140674 Dec 27, 2018 03:06 PM
Mountain Lion on Anacapa Street

DFW wardens confirmed it was a young mountain lion. It was taking shelter underneath a hedge. The lion was tranquilized and is now en route to a new home in the backcountry.

biguglystick Dec 28, 2018 12:25 PM
Mountain Lion on Anacapa Street

If they took this young lion far away from its family the odds are against it surviving. They stay with their mothers for a long time in a family unit before they go off on their own as adults. This lion was about 55 pounds, not big enough at all. I hope this baby makes it.

tagdes Dec 27, 2018 02:56 PM
Mountain Lion on Anacapa Street

I'm guessing they got it, no one hurrying around. 3 Fish and Wildlife trucks on the scene with one backed into the D/W at 2314 Anacapa and a PD sergeant taking a box of plastic gloves to the back yard.

a-1569140674 Dec 27, 2018 02:41 PM
Mountain Lion on Anacapa Street

Fairly close to mission creek. A favorite "game trail" for a lot of four-legged creatures.

Roger Dec 27, 2018 01:47 PM
Mountain Lion on Anacapa Street

I'm not seeing any other reports on it and no ones talking I got stuff I gotta do...

Shasta Guy Dec 27, 2018 01:07 PM
Mountain Lion on Anacapa Street

Thanks Roger! With your last report I know that it moved away from me rather than towards me. It was two blocks as the crow flies. Now it is three away instead of 1.

biguglystick Dec 28, 2018 12:26 PM
Mountain Lion on Anacapa Street

Animal Control isn't always the best solution. I don't trust that Animal Control has the best interests of the animals in mind.

Roger Dec 27, 2018 12:19 PM
Mountain Lion on Anacapa Street

IF YOU LIVE IN THE AREA STAY IN YOUR HOUSE LOCK IT AND PLEASE DON'T GO INTO THE AREA UNLESS YOU HAVE TO.

biguglystick Dec 28, 2018 12:27 PM
Mountain Lion on Anacapa Street

Please do not make people afraid. Everyone around here should go to the Mountain Lion Foundation and read about what to do in an encounter. Learn about them. Be less afraid!

Roger Dec 27, 2018 12:14 PM
Mountain Lion on Anacapa Street

Talking about Santa Barbara street now and contacting residents Dispatch is going to try not sure where they are exactly.