By an edhat reader

Can anyone tell me the name of the artist who created colorful mosaic lizards on boulders in Mission Creek and other sites throughout Santa Barbara? I can only find photos of the mosaics in Rocky Nook Park, but I seem to recall other creations around town. Was it discussed here on EdHat?

ladylagomorph Sep 06, 2017 04:26 PM
Mission Creek Mosaic Artist

I was by the creek quite recently and the crocodiles were still there! Were they just removed very recently? I look for them every time we go by, which is several days a week. There is also a blue tiled ball there, near Mission Canyon Road. How recently were they removed?

tagdes Sep 07, 2017 09:06 AM
Mission Creek Mosaic Artist

The crocodiles are still there no one said otherwise. They are not along Mission Cyn where one said tiled boulders have dis appeared.

sbsloth Sep 06, 2017 03:19 PM
Mission Creek Mosaic Artist

I miss the tiled boulders along Mission Canyon Rd. that have disappeared. More importantly, I ditto Barbaraann's comment. While I am glad that Edhat is showing up in my email again, I really miss the old format that showed all of the news on one page, with the comments (and number of comments) readily available adjacent to the post headline. I think giving every post a "category" (which is irrelevant to me) and a separate page is very cumbersome . I too end up getting more info from Noozhawk these days than from Edhat. PLEASE go back to the old format and colors!

seahorse Sep 06, 2017 06:22 AM
Mission Creek Mosaic Artist

Thank you for the name, Dan Chrynko. I was able to search and find more information. I searched for archived EdHat posts but perhaps those were lost to the hackers. He did the lizards in Rocky Nook park and some prominent boulders. I know there was controversy at the time, and some mosaics were vandalized or removed. I cannot find much information on the artist, his Facebook and professional web page appear dormant.

a-1504764503 Sep 06, 2017 11:08 PM
Mission Creek Mosaic Artist

Please search the artists name + santa barbara or + california. There may be some sources out there you're not familiar with -- The Independent did come to mind. But you'll also find fans who have web or social media sites, and write-ups from other states. The broadest search is the best search. Enjoy it. :-)

pxn Sep 05, 2017 05:49 PM
Mission Creek Mosaic Artist

Another vote for the old-style Edhat. Light orange is hard to read as well.
Is it the same artist who tiled the rocks around the same area?

barbaraann Sep 05, 2017 03:15 PM
Mission Creek Mosaic Artist

I, too, miss the old edhat for its simplicity, organization, and personality that came from easily read (or ignored) comments. I also had several "saved" referrals that I especially miss. I paid for another year but, except for Rodger, find myself going to Noozhawk.

a-1504764103 Sep 06, 2017 11:01 PM
Mission Creek Mosaic Artist

Last sentence should say "Edhat has a lot of technical formatting issues to fix .... ___________________________________________________________________________________________________ They have a lot of work to do and fixes to make.

a-1504763615 Sep 06, 2017 10:53 PM
Mission Creek Mosaic Artist

I opened another window for Edhat to see if this posted. No indication here. If I didn't see it had posted in another window, I might have posted it again. And maybe again.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________Edhat has a lot of technical formatting issues to fix before they start asking for subscriptions or even renewals.

a-1504763366 Sep 06, 2017 10:49 PM
Mission Creek Mosaic Artist

Agreed, but we must adjust if we want to use it. That's not letting Edhat off the hook, or stating I will renew. I find it easiest to scroll down to the All News button, click on that, and start reading. -- paragraph space paragraph space paragraph space paragraph space paragraph space --
The ability to make space between statements/paragraphs is my top request. My other is to keep screen names hidden when requested. Good luck, Edhat!!

NativeofSB Sep 06, 2017 07:15 PM
Mission Creek Mosaic Artist

I agree. I spend more time on Noozhawk now. I find the new format on Edhat difficult to read and navigate. The orange just is not reader friendly. Really too bad Edhat was hacked. I realize this was not their fault, but.....

laughing Sep 05, 2017 01:58 PM
Mission Creek Mosaic Artist

I watched the original creation of the lizzards in mission creek @ oak park in 1975. We would hassle them for messing up the creek.

farmerjohn Sep 06, 2017 08:44 AM
Mission Creek Mosaic Artist

Yes, Dan Chrynko was the artist, but the Crocodiles are NOT in Rocky Nook Park. The East side of the creek is private property, and at the time Dan built his artwork, I was the property owner. My family owned that property (which originally included all of Rocky Nook) from 1925--2001.
--John Smith

macpuzl Sep 05, 2017 01:41 PM
Mission Creek Mosaic Artist

There have been past discussions on the old Edhat.
The artist's name is Dan Chrynko.

tagdes Sep 05, 2017 02:36 PM
Mission Creek Mosaic Artist

The old user friendly pre orange and gray statistics and ads one. I've given up on trying to find stuff, miss the everything right there in one column on the left.