Mission Bells at 3:00 a.m.?

Reported by edhat subscribers

• I can't believe there haven't been any posts about the startling mission bells cacophony at about 3:00 AM that lasted maybe 15 minutes. I was jolted awake and thought "Lordy, what has happened - has the pope died?" Which was thankfully not the case. At this point I am assuming a malfunction. Mission people, could you shed light?
  • Would anyone know why the Mission Bells were ringing in the middle of the night for so long?  I'm used to the bells, and I love them, however, I don't recall them going off at ~3ish in the morning for what seemed like 20 minutes.  A special middle of the night graduation mass?

a-1513046531 Jun 14, 2017 11:57 AM
Mission Bells at 3:00 a.m.?

This probably explains why my boyfriend said he awoke "at 3AM on the dot" not too long ago. Now I can tell him it wasn't me, it was God's plan to disrupt his sleep.

AuntieA Jun 11, 2017 08:19 AM
Mission Bells at 3:00 a.m.?

LOL! The bells definitely were not a call to meals or to leave work lol!!! Also, ringing on saturdays isn't always a wedding. Sometimes, it's a funeral.

NativeofSB Jun 11, 2017 10:41 PM
Mission Bells at 3:00 a.m.?

Yes, sometimes it is a funeral :-(( but not as often as a wedding :-))

bluestream Jun 10, 2017 06:58 PM
Mission Bells at 3:00 a.m.?

"The bells were also rung at noon to announce the midday meal and at sunset, when the bells called everyone home from work." My understanding is that the noon bells are a call to the faithful to stop and pray the Angelus at noon and the evening bells are a call to vespers .... not to meals ....

Miss Jun 10, 2017 01:45 PM
Mission Bells at 3:00 a.m.?

Its official.. a malfunction. I love the image of the fathers and everyone scrambling trying to get them to stop at that, excuse the pun, ungodly hour :)

NativeofSB Jun 10, 2017 06:46 PM
Mission Bells at 3:00 a.m.?

Edison was replacing a power pole on Mission Canyon Road by Rocky Nook Park last night. Power was shut down from about 9:10 pm to about 3:00 am or so. When the power kicked back on it probably set off the Mission Bells. We have another power outage set for Monday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm so it might happen again, although not in the middle of the night....LOL. I was born and raised here and love hearing the Mission Bells. The meaning behind the Mission Bells: The mission bells started the day and summoned everyone to morning mass. The bells were also rung at noon to announce the midday meal and at sunset, when the bells called everyone home from work. I myself don't mind a mishap once in awhile. We are so lucky to live next to and enjoy our beautiful "Queen of the Missions". On Saturdays I find it really special to hear the bells ring.....you know someone just got married :-)).

AuntieA Jun 10, 2017 12:22 PM
Mission Bells at 3:00 a.m.?

I heard the mission bell And I was thinking to myself 'This could be heaven or this could be Hell

Bernard Jun 10, 2017 10:05 AM
Mission Bells at 3:00 a.m.?

Even when the bells ring at their normal time, I don't understand what the ring signifies. There are three rings of three bells each: and then about twenty rings in a different tone. Is there a hidden meaning to this pattern?

Flicka Jun 10, 2017 10:03 AM
Mission Bells at 3:00 a.m.?

A little over the top, even for God and His mysterious ways. Probably calling the Mission could answer the question. Please let us know if you find an answer to the dilemma. Very interesting!