Meet Your New Santa Barbara Mayor title=

(Courtesy Photo)

As of Wednesday morning, Cathy Murillo is projected to be Santa Barbara's newly elected mayor. She will be the first Latina mayor of the city while unofficially receiving over 6,000 votes for 28% of the total vote.

Murillo said even though she'll be the first Latina mayor, she will be the mayor for everyone. A celebration party was held Tuesday night at Casa Blanca Restaurant on State Street for her volunteers and supporters.

Frank Hotchkiss was the closest candidate next in line who received over 4,600 votes for 21% of the total vote. He conceded to Murillo on Tuesday evening. Angel Martinez came in third, followed by Hal Conklin and Bendy White.

Measure C

The increase in sales tax was approved by Santa Barbara voters by 55.7% with nearly 12,000 voting in favor.

City Council District 4

Kristen Sneddon edged out Jay Higgens by almost 900 votes to win her first City Council seat. She celebrated at Benchmark Eatery with former Representative Lois Capps at her side.

City Council District 5

Eric Friedman is projected as the winner over former city fire chief Warner McGrew with 55.4% of the vote.

City Council District 6

Current City Councilmember Gregg Hart held on to his seat with a large lead over Jack Ucciferri and Aaron Solis by earning 56.3% of the vote. Hart joined Murillo at Casa Blanca for their celebration parties.

How does our edhat poll stack up to the results?

Well, the results were quite different. In fact, the only candidate winner that was correctly projected by edhat readers was Gregg Hart. Edhat readers (or campaign volunteers, it's hard to tell) overwhelmingly voted for Angel Martinez earning 33% of the vote followed by Conklin. That's almost opposite of the actual results. Measure C was also overwhelmingly voted against by edhat readers, but the actual vote shows most Santa Barbarans support the measure.

Total Numbers as of Wednesday Morning

City Council District 6
Candidate Total Votes % of Total Votes
Gregg Hart 1,578 56.3%
Jack Ucciferri 804 28.7%
Aaron Solis 421 15%

Measure C
Measure Total Votes: Yes Total Votes: No % of Total Votes: Yes % of Total Votes: No
Measure C 11,947 9,492 55.7% 44.3%

All winners are expected to be sworn in on January 9, 2018.  View the complete results here.

PAST ARTICLES

CivilEngineer Nov 08, 2017 09:09 AM

Congratulations Cathy!
I hope you can address the many problems facing SB today and show your detractors how wrong they were!

SBPaul Nov 08, 2017 09:16 AM

1st question for Cathy,

Where do you plan to live for retirement once you are finished with mayor? Housing costs are quite prohibitive and I hear that you make about 50k a year and do not own a home here in town. Seems like we need to do some planning...

REX OF SB Nov 08, 2017 02:03 PM
Meet Your New Santa Barbara Mayor

SBPAUL: Since Murillo will be collecting a hefty Santa Barbara City pension, she can very well afford to live here in retirement. Too bad others can't.

SBPaul Nov 08, 2017 02:56 PM
Meet Your New Santa Barbara Mayor

Hope she doesn't have to pull out a mortgage for over 500k. Oh wait. She made her own housing solution on our dime. PROBLEM SOLVED!

SBREADER Nov 08, 2017 09:24 AM
Meet Your New Santa Barbara Mayor

Just to finish the thought on the Poll, it does raise a great question about the future of polls. Today it has become so easy to participate and then we have sophisticated tech people participating and "paid" workers can greately influence any local poll. I guess nothing to do about it but observe. I mean how misled were we all just exactly a year ago by just about every National poll and respected commentator.

oops Nov 08, 2017 09:27 AM
Meet Your New Santa Barbara Mayor

ugh...... give her a 1% sales tax increase and see where it gets the city...more homeless, a smellier state street and more gov't wasteful spending.

People from SB will now spend their money in Goleta to save the 1%. Instead of buying their cars from a SB location, travel to Ventura or Oxnard will be the strategy - congratulations!

CivilEngineer Nov 08, 2017 10:11 AM
Meet Your New Santa Barbara Mayor

Yes, I will travel to Goleta to save 1 penny per dollar. I would have to spend $500 in order to save enough tax to pay for my gas. Same for buying a car in Ventura, although the main dealers are already in Goleta. I can understand being upset when your candidate doesn't win, but making arguments like that doesn't help anything. If Cathy cannot solve homelessness and the demise of small local businesses, she will join the 1000s of mayors who haven't solved it in their towns either. At least I know she will try the solutions that are available to us.

mm1970 Nov 08, 2017 11:28 AM
Meet Your New Santa Barbara Mayor

Well, I already do a lot of shopping in Goleta because I work there. The extra 1% means if I need shoes, I'll go to the SB running store in Goleta instead of SB. I'll shop more at Costco and Kmart instead of Sears.

For some of us, Goleta shopping just involves changing our schedule around, not extra driving.

mm1970 Nov 08, 2017 11:28 AM

Roger Nov 09, 2017 06:51 AM
Meet Your New Santa Barbara Mayor

The worse thing that happened to our community is when you disagree with some people they call you names and smear you all over town but it's really all they have what they need is anger management and AA meetings.

Roger Nov 10, 2017 09:54 AM
Meet Your New Santa Barbara Mayor

Yes your exactly right I do know and the whole town would know if I was drinking funny how the anger shrinks the longer one stays away from the killer brew.

2contango Nov 08, 2017 10:09 AM
Meet Your New Santa Barbara Mayor

I'm pleased to see that Kristen Sneddon was elected. I think her knowledge of the district and thoughtfulness will get better results for District 4. And it's nice to see a SB high grad with children in our community get representation on the city council. The Santa Barbara County Democratic Central Committee usually picks candidates without children. (Nothing necessarily wrong with that, but we could use some balance.)

CivilEngineer Nov 08, 2017 11:51 AM
Meet Your New Santa Barbara Mayor

Got any data to back this up? The moms I know range from liberal to conservative, just like they were before they had kids.

CivilEngineer Nov 08, 2017 11:52 AM

Roger Nov 08, 2017 11:05 AM
Meet Your New Santa Barbara Mayor

Why out of a population on 91,930 People did only 21,584 People vote for mayor? Give alittle bit for those who couldn't vote for one reason or another still that is a lot of people they can't all be felons. And yes I voted even then being a one percent tax payer gives anyone license to add their 2 cents.

SBPaul Nov 08, 2017 11:12 AM
Meet Your New Santa Barbara Mayor

our population is dramatically augmented with local college students who rent. Our new mayor has never owned a home in Santa Barbara but she will be representing the 1/4 percent of our communities property tax to schools for her never existent children attended and the public services she has paid into with a salary of 50k a year. I am so excited to see what comes for her. Lets make santa barbara rent again!

mtndriver Nov 08, 2017 11:41 AM
Meet Your New Santa Barbara Mayor

I think there are only about 45,000 registered to vote in the city, Roger. But still, pretty poor turnout and I hope those who didn't vote will keep their mouths buttoned about local issues for the next four years.

mtndriver Nov 08, 2017 11:39 AM
Meet Your New Santa Barbara Mayor

I thought the Edhat poll was way skewed, not representative. Were people able to vote more than once on the poll? Sure seemed strange that Angel was the leader....

Good luck to all of them, it's not easy to do these jobs, and I think everyone serving has good intentions, whether I agree with all their positions or not.

jqb Nov 08, 2017 01:28 PM
Meet Your New Santa Barbara Mayor

The edhat regulars, as with most people who spend so much time online, leans far right of the community norm.

Yeti Nov 08, 2017 11:42 AM
Meet Your New Santa Barbara Mayor

1% sales tax increase... WHEN has the government ever tightened their belt?? The answer is never.
Pathetic, since there is no end to the give aways. Luckily I make all of my purchases on Amazon and in Ventura County.. escape the local tyranny.

SBPaul Nov 08, 2017 12:06 PM
Meet Your New Santa Barbara Mayor

Oh thank god we finally got a decent mayor! I have been dreaming of a day where a million dollar per home city could be run by a person who has never owned a real estate! This is amazing to see. What a beautiful revolution. can't wait to see the justice she brings.

jqb Nov 08, 2017 01:26 PM
Meet Your New Santa Barbara Mayor

Owning real estate has nothing to do with being an able mayor, but thanks for playing and representing the right wing moneyed elites. There are other interests in the city too.

Mas Gaviota Nov 08, 2017 12:31 PM
Meet Your New Santa Barbara Mayor

Sales tax for vehicles are based on the registration address. The same goes for Amazon which will charge you the city tax if the item is shipped to a city address. Buying a car out of the city will save you nothing in sales tax

Rose Munoz Nov 08, 2017 01:23 PM
Meet Your New Santa Barbara Mayor

Congratulations Cathy! Look forward to collaborating for the benefit of our community. Your dedication and responsiveness to our residents is awesome.
As to Measure C, I support improvements to our city and local businesses. If folks want to save a cent, they have the freedom of choice to shop elsewhere. Enough said.

Mas Gaviota Nov 08, 2017 03:19 PM
Meet Your New Santa Barbara Mayor

The tax is one percent, not a cent. For example if you buy something for $100 you would pay 100 cents.

Rose Munoz Nov 08, 2017 04:08 PM
Meet Your New Santa Barbara Mayor

Amazed by the comments, it was an expression re: the tax. The people have approved Measure C.

CivilEngineer Nov 09, 2017 08:25 AM
Meet Your New Santa Barbara Mayor

Have you seen the traffic at the big box lately? And Storke Rd? I avoid it if I can. They killed the goose that laid the golden egg.

jqb Nov 08, 2017 01:24 PM

Congratulations Cathy!

Shows how unrepresentative of SB is the cranky right leaning crew of EdHate regulars (and other online hangers-on at the Indy etc.).

a-1510187190 Nov 08, 2017 04:26 PM
Meet Your New Santa Barbara Mayor

Since she is the mayor, I do wish her the best for the sake of our community. Time will tell the true tale of her character.

a-1510202309 Nov 08, 2017 08:38 PM
Meet Your New Santa Barbara Mayor

Murillo has a good heart, wants the best for all people, and she works very hard. My worry is that she leads with her heart, not her head. But remember, she is not a dictator; the mayor does not have all that much power. Citizens must keep active, contact your council member(s), make your wishes known.
Now, who will take over as council member for the Westside district?

a-1510245660 Nov 09, 2017 08:41 AM
Meet Your New Santa Barbara Mayor

"Who will take over as council member for the Westside district?" GREAT question! Is there going to be another election? Will Cathy occupy both positions? Will a successor be "appointed" thus avoiding a new election? I honestly don't know, nor care too much as I live in Goleta. But, an interesting point, nonetheless!

new2sb Nov 08, 2017 08:27 PM

recount the votes.
make certain made by real voters.
check i.q. of all voters. test, do you know what one percent means?

Pages