By the Santa Barbara County Fire Department
The County of Santa Barbara has declared the month of May as Wildfire Community Preparedness Month. Now is the perfect time to participate in fire prevention and preparedness activities at home, work, school, and all locations, marking the beginning of a year-long effort to improve wildfire awareness and safety.
Throughout the month of May, the Santa Barbara County Fire Department encourages you to take the following actions:
- Create and maintain a defensible space of at least 100 feet around homes and other structures.
- Develop and practice a family evacuation plan, including a designated meeting place and multiple escape routes.
- Assemble an emergency supply kit with essential items, such as water, non-perishable food, medication, important documents, and a change of clothes.
- Sign up for emergency alerts and notifications at ReadySBC.org.
- Learn about local community resources and support for wildfire preparedness.
For more information on how to prepare for and prevent wildfires, please visit the Santa Barbara County Fire Department’s website at https://sbcfire.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/ready_set_go.pdf.