Masked Bicyclist with a Wrench

A masked bicyclist has a wrench in the 1300 Block of State Street. This is a dispute from an earlier confrontation over his riding a bicycle on the sidewalk.

Surfgooose May 22, 2020 08:11 AM
Masked Bicyclist with a Wrench

another good one is when a cyclist riding on the sidewalk expects other commuters to afford them pedestrian right of way. had many a cyclist come flying through an intersection without stopping because they believe riding in the crosswalk protects them.

a-1590143909 May 22, 2020 03:38 AM
Masked Bicyclist with a Wrench

A couple years ago I spoke with a 30ish cycling dude (no spandex, just regular street wear, no helmet) and told him he needed to get off the sidewalk and ride in the street. We were standing at the corner of Mission and Chapala, and he had come up behind me, heading south, on the left/east side of the street. He gave me some lip. I pulled out my iPod Touch, pretended it was my cellphone. I started giving "dispatch" his description, and also described his bike. You should have seen how fast he got off the sidewalk . . .

Roger May 21, 2020 05:34 PM
Masked Bicyclist with a Wrench

When I was younger I rode on the sidewalk during Solstice and got chased by Mary 3 he was pissed...I miss that guy...

REDTOP May 21, 2020 02:41 PM
Masked Bicyclist with a Wrench

I’m glad the police eventually got involved. This guy was way out of control, threatening and spewing obscenities as he rode his bike at great speed on the sidewalk. My husband and I were pedestrians and hurried away for we were afraid the guy might get violent. Nasty scene!

SBWalkers May 21, 2020 01:57 PM
Masked Bicyclist with a Wrench

I walk the sidewalks of SB a lot. The most annoying are the ones we already have laws for that are not enforced... Bicycles, Skateboards and Smoking

sbmh2015 May 21, 2020 02:55 PM
Masked Bicyclist with a Wrench

Sbwalkers ... Completely agree. It's so discouraging walking this town and seeing the violations. Why continue to put these laws in place and refuse to enforce them or give warnings only ? It's frustrating for police too as I've spoken to many regarding the smoking ordinance

Roger May 21, 2020 02:27 PM
Masked Bicyclist with a Wrench

I don't know what kind of bicycle it was he was a Masked male wearing an Army jacket, carrying a wrench it sounded like he was ready for battle trying to look like ZORO! But failing miserably....

a-1590096003 May 21, 2020 02:20 PM
Masked Bicyclist with a Wrench

Agreed completely. I'm a bicyclist also but was always taught to NEVER ride on a sidewalk. It is not only inconsiderate but dangerous.

Roger May 21, 2020 12:45 PM
Masked Bicyclist with a Wrench

Every bicyclist riding on the sidewalk except for little kids ought to get a ticket.

a-1590106575 May 21, 2020 05:16 PM
Masked Bicyclist with a Wrench

I appreciate the concerns, but there is an option: you can walk your bikes until you get to the bike lanes. That will teach your children words mean something, that it is a sidewalk, not a sidebike.

MR2 May 21, 2020 05:08 PM
Masked Bicyclist with a Wrench

"Putting their lives at risk" is a bit dramatic. You do that whenever you leave the house. How often do you run into homeless people sleeping on the sidewalk?

Your kid shouldn't be biking in the same place my 80 year old grandma is walking anyways. Find a safer place to legally ride, or don't do it.

a-1590101780 May 21, 2020 03:56 PM
Masked Bicyclist with a Wrench

I'm strongly against sidewalk biking. But when I'm with my kids (5 and 3 years old) riding to the beach we're on the sidewalk. It's not worth the risk. What's most frustrating is I often have to divert them onto the street (putting their lives at risk) to avoid a homeless person camping on the sidewalk.

a-1590090859 May 21, 2020 12:54 PM
Masked Bicyclist with a Wrench

Agreed. Except it's also not okay for little kids either, but I get it, considering the alternative is even less safe. Personally, I'd give the little ones a pass. But grown-up are supposed to know better. Another problem is riders going the wrong way on the single track bike lanes. Consider that in the last month there were 10 (reported) serious bike "accidents" including one fatal and 3 or 4 (one is unconfirmed) with life-altering injuries. People are being extra crazy an inattentive lately. Wonder why?