Lower Riviera Power Outage

By an edhat reader

A loud BOOM was followed by a fizzle of electricity around 7:25 am in the Lower Riviera area. The neighborhood remains without power. This comes on the heels of possibly-related Southern California Edison's ongoing scheduled maintenance work on poles in the area.

Curmudgeon Jul 15, 2020 10:58 AM
Lower Riviera Power Outage

The SCE shows several small outages in the Santa Barbara area, including one that appears to be centered around Garcia/Rubio/Ferrelo.

Reason for Outage:
Upgrading Equipment
Customers Affected: 86

Curmudgeon Jul 15, 2020 11:24 AM
Lower Riviera Power Outage

P.S. - Estimated time of restoration for that particular outage is noon.

Minibeast Jul 15, 2020 12:01 PM
Lower Riviera Power Outage

Be aware that the outage could last longer than SoCalEdison states. There was a scheduled power outage on Tuesday, for which we all got plenty of notice here on the Lower Riviera. A pole replacement, I think, at the corner of Laguna & Pedregosa, was the work done. Helicopter used. The outage was scheduled for 9:15 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The actual time frame for the outage was 11:20 a.m. to around 8:00 p.m. Around 4:00 p.m. we got a phone call letting us know the outage might still be affecting us until 11:00 p.m. -----SoCalEdison did a great job of keeping us informed. Power outages always cause a bit of stress. Main worry is refrigerator/freezer. SoCalEdison mailed out coupons for "Free" ($10.00 worth) of ice. But RiteAid had some policy only one bag per customer ($4.00 bags) so we ended up having to go into RiteAid twice to get $8.00 worth of ice (free). Just glad it's over and that the day wasn't too hot.

monkeyboy Jul 15, 2020 03:55 PM
Lower Riviera Power Outage

Nice that you got those coupons. We've had several outages and nothing like that mailed. Because of the potential for planned outages in the summer, we dropped $300 on a 2200W inverter generator to keep the fridge running for a day on a gallon of gas. Keep an eye on the sales now, because as fire season approaches, there will be none to be found.

LooseCannon Jul 15, 2020 07:57 PM
Lower Riviera Power Outage

Well, I live on Lower Riviera, near the Mission, and was inconvenienced (yet again, the third time in the past 3 months?) by the power outage focused on the same location. Since I wasn't prepared to sit in the dark, without electricity, I went for a walk down State Street looking for something to eat. What a weird scene! A guy standing in front of Marshall's reading from St. John the Evangelist's Apocalypse, farmers' market sort of happening, blinking lights, barricades, occasional merriment. Bikers without masks. Walking people with masks. Homeless people very prominent. More vacant storefronts. Had a quick bite to eat. Walked back, harrassed by some insane dude in the Alameda. Felt like Tompkins Square Park in the late eighties. Post-apocalyptic. Murders will happen in the Alameda, I feel sure of it. Authorities nowhere to be seen, not that they would make me feel any better. Thanks to SoCalEd for making me mingle with the COVID crowd! Maybe, uh, they could limit the shutdowns to the 9 to 5 hours during the pandemic? Just sayin' ; )

Minibeast Jul 15, 2020 09:10 PM
Lower Riviera Power Outage

Alameda Park West, where the Gazebo is, always freaks me out at night. It's a nice short cut when coming home from downtown. I walk quickly and carry pepper gel at the ready, just in case. Even though I think my dog wouldn't allow any weirdos to approach, it pays to be cautious. Sorry to hear you had to deal with any creeps. Poor Santa Barbara. I miss the dependably mild-mannered weirdos we once had.