Lost Hikers Off Tunnel Road

Lost hikers about a half mile off the trail in the 1400 Block area of Tunnel Road.

a-1566629566 Jul 24, 2018 10:22 AM
Lost Hikers Off Tunnel Road

OK, time to hush it on downvoting. Edhat is deleting (permanently) any comments related to it.

a-1566629566 Jul 31, 2018 12:00 AM
Lost Hikers Off Tunnel Road

Agreed. I ignore or respond to what I have an urge to downvote. Ridiculous system.

NostraChumash Jul 23, 2018 11:48 PM
Lost Hikers Off Tunnel Road

I want to see a cartoon of 2 hikers wearing packs & "shooshing-sticks".. standing on an old ladies porch, a sign in the back-ground saying "Tunnel trail"..with a word-bubble above them..."We're Lost" ?!?...

Ehdat Jul 23, 2018 10:10 PM
Lost Hikers Off Tunnel Road

Or just sleep the night and continue in the morning.... pretty sure no one would die of frostbite.

Roger Jul 23, 2018 05:32 PM
Lost Hikers Off Tunnel Road

Copter 2 has visual with the hikers now working on getting them out.

Roger Jul 23, 2018 04:34 PM
Lost Hikers Off Tunnel Road

I thought they knew where they was but I guess not they are still looking...Why do people go hiking when it's friggen hot and get lost?

Yeti Jul 23, 2018 03:59 PM
Lost Hikers Off Tunnel Road

LOST hikers in the middle of the day. Advice: walk to trail, head down hill. Don't be an idiot.

a-1566629566 Jul 23, 2018 03:22 PM
Lost Hikers Off Tunnel Road

A general question about hiking, not addressing or criticizing anyone out today: ************** WHAT is the pleasure in hiking, even a short walk, all day or in the afternoon, when there's a heat advisory or warning out? I guess some people don't mind? I hate it. Hikers, please chime in! Thanks.

EastBeach Jul 24, 2018 12:05 AM
Lost Hikers Off Tunnel Road

I'll take an honest stab at the question …. my friends and I are experienced backpackers/hikers/campers in the desert southwest. We've been all over the Colorado Plateau and the Great Basin. One of the more notable times I recall is being on the Colorado River in the Bright Angel Corridor when it was 115F at midnight. We had to slow our heart rates by sitting in a creek in order to sleep. Even the pink rattlesnake I put my pack next to didn't budge it was sooo lethargic! Anyways, it's possible to do these things when you're prepared as we always try to be. You can't always be in those areas during the ideal shoulder seasons- schedules of family/friends/work/school don't always allow it. Obviously starting long hikes at or before dawn is often the wise choice. But sometimes logistics simply don't allow it especially when in larger groups. We're lucky because most of us tolerate heat well, especially when it's a dryer heat. I never try to judge without knowing the circumstances of the people involved. Who knows, the hikers could have been from out of town or the country and were trying to take advantage of an opportunity hence the unlucky timing. Cathedral Peak is definitely not a "point and shoot" hike, it's more like a scramble especially after the fire (was it Zaca?). Easy to miss a turn and end up in a side canyon even for those who have been there before. A more prepared hiker would carry a small Garmin GPS with tracking on to leave breadcrumbs like we do in new places.

420722 Jul 23, 2018 06:02 PM
Lost Hikers Off Tunnel Road

During a major heat advisory you should hike at the crack of dawn. If you do decide to go later you pack twice the amount water you’d normally take, wear a hat and keep a bandana for wetting in the creek and keep it wrapped around the neck. I hope the hikers are ok :)

oceandrew Jul 23, 2018 03:42 PM
Lost Hikers Off Tunnel Road

Experienced responsible hikers would go out early in the morning with lots of water with an established route in mind and a timetable so it's not just a matter of luck getting back to the car as the sun is peaking the heat building. I've lost count of the number of times coming down from Cathedral Peak at the hottest time of the day and see folks just starting the hike with barely a 16oz bottle of water in their hot little hands (so it's a fair bet the empty does not get hiked out of there).