Long Beach Residents Arrested for Local Identity Theft title=

Alexandra Pearl and Michael Flitterman booking photos

Source: Santa Barbara Police Department

On November 6, 2019, a Santa Barbara resident contacted the Santa Barbara Police Department to report the theft of a credit card from his mail.

A suspect was captured on the resident’s home surveillance camera.  Detectives began working the case and discovered that the suspect used the stolen credit card, as well as a second victim’s identity, to purchase a high-end vehicle at a local dealership.

The investigation led to the identification of Long Beach residents, Michael Flitterman and Alexandra Pearl, who were alleged experienced identity thieves.  Detectives served search and arrest warrants in Long Beach, with the assistance of the Long Beach Police Department. Pursuant to the search warrant, additional identity theft victims were located, along with tools used to manufacture counterfeit identifications, credit cards, checks and other documents. Flitterman and Pearl were taken into custody and booked on several identity theft related felonies.

The Santa Barbara Police Department would like to remind the its citizens to take precautions, as mail theft is prevalent.

When able, please track important deliveries, request a delivery service hold your package at their pick-up facility, or minimize the amount of time mail is left in unsecured mailboxes.

The Department would also like to emphasize the significance of home surveillance, which has played an important role in this arrest as well as aiding many other Santa Barbara investigations.

Lastly, identity theft is best stopped by monitoring your credits reports with regularity. You can also subscribe to a service that will alert you of any changes in your financial history.

Flicka Dec 13, 2019 07:03 PM
Long Beach Residents Arrested for Local Identity Theft

SHMONK, You are soo right about judging on looks. Years ago a very wealthy man who always wore kakis, (looking like a regular working guy) went into a car dealership here that also sold Rolls Royces. He pointed to a Rolls, asked the salesman how much it was. The salesman said, "You couldn't even afford a tire." Well, the man went to Pasadena where the main Rolls dealership was and paid cash for one. The head man down there called the dealership head man here and asked who his Rolls salesman was. When he got the answer he said, "The minute you hang up fire him. Tell him never to judge a person by what he is wearing." So, on my comment, big mistake on my part.

a-1580183477 Dec 13, 2019 08:31 PM
Long Beach Residents Arrested for Local Identity Theft

There's a lot to be said for dressing "under the radar." I know people don't think I own (outright) a 3 million dollar home. I know they don't think I have over $100,000 in the bank/investments, which is nice. Dressing down and driving an old somewhat hooptie of a car has its perks.

CCHandyMan Dec 13, 2019 11:47 AM
Long Beach Residents Arrested for Local Identity Theft

Bought a new $2000 TV a couple of weeks ago and by the time I got home my credit card company was calling to verify that it was me that had made the purchase. A few days later my wife made a less than $50 purchase and received a phone call asking if it was her. Some credit card companies are really on the ball and looking to protect themselves as well as their customers.

Classic Dec 13, 2019 10:26 AM
Long Beach Residents Arrested for Local Identity Theft

My sister lost her wallet and received a call "I'll be down your way tomorrow so no need to cancel the cards" Next day thrift store called they had her wallet. Well the sales clerk at the appliance store had commission on the brain They bought a fridge, washer and dryer, dishwasher, TV I forget what else 5k worth. They didn't want free delivery and hook up. The address they used is KNOWN as only industrial. Think my parents only had to $50, appliance store has their tail between their legs and I'm sure the clerk is looking for a job. I just get hate mail from my credit thieves for having such poor credit lol

giftedinSB Dec 13, 2019 10:37 AM
Long Beach Residents Arrested for Local Identity Theft

Dang, the sales clerk fraudulently used your sister's card? That is messed up. The clerk may have had their fun for a while, but it never lasts for long . I bet they're facing some pretty serious consequences now.

RHS Dec 13, 2019 10:22 AM
Long Beach Residents Arrested for Local Identity Theft

Who knows how the mind of thieves work. Just this am got my cc bill and found a charge for Disney on Ice. Called and had it removed as a fraudulent claim. But what was odd was that the users also charged separately for ticket insurance!! So maybe the person using the card did not understand it to be stolen? Too many games. And of course the cc companies have analyzed this stuff and accept the smallish cost of such use in order to encourage us to generally put everything on credit. It's hardly even a game of morality--just arbitrage or something.

giftedinSB Dec 13, 2019 09:25 AM
Long Beach Residents Arrested for Local Identity Theft

It used to be that thieves would steal a credit card and make a small purchase (like $1) to verify that the card is still active. Maybe this still happens, but it seems like more and more I'm hearing about thieves racking up large purchases as fast as they can before the card is reported lost or stolen. Watch out for fraudulent card readers, too - my husband and I recently had to replace our card because it was hacked and the fraudsters racked up $1,600 at Apple. These days, we have to be even more vigilant with protecting our information.

shorebird Dec 12, 2019 08:05 PM
Long Beach Residents Arrested for Local Identity Theft

10:30 RE: Informed Delivery. Not available in my neighborhood. No explanation why or when it will be available. 3 times in the last week I have had someone else’s mail in my mailbox. Perhaps Informed Delivery has been “informed” about the “delivery” patterns of my mailman?

a-1580183477 Dec 13, 2019 08:47 PM
Long Beach Residents Arrested for Local Identity Theft

When Netflix used to mail out DVDs and let you return them via post, I kept getting movies that were meant for my neighbor who resided four houses down from mine. Our addresses/names were not even vaguely similar, apart from having same street in common. On second occasion of return, I left a note. On fourth occasion, I got fed up with having to walk these movies down to this woman's condo. On my last visit, she answered the door and with a friendly smile on my face, I said, "Geez. If you're going to rent movies, could you at least rent something I want to watch?" She glared at me, but problem solved after that.

Lucky 777 Dec 13, 2019 09:41 AM
Long Beach Residents Arrested for Local Identity Theft

SHOREBIRD >:> My mailbox is my way of playing "meet the neighbors" as I learn their names by consistently seeing their mail stuffed into my box. And how about those packages dropped in my driveway within view of the sidewalk, haphazard delivery = easy pickins.

bosco Dec 12, 2019 03:50 PM
Long Beach Residents Arrested for Local Identity Theft

How does someone buy a vehicle with a credit card? I bought two cars this year and tried to use a credit card both times (I wanted the points). Both times it was limited to $5K. My understanding is that is standard dealer practice. Maybe high end dealers are different?

Flicka Dec 12, 2019 10:59 AM
Long Beach Residents Arrested for Local Identity Theft

Maybe the car dealer should have done a better job of checking the credit card. These two don't look wealthy enough to buy a car outright with a credit card. Wonder how often anyone does that.

a-1580183477 Dec 12, 2019 10:13 AM
Long Beach Residents Arrested for Local Identity Theft

Stole a credit card and bought a car with it? Wow, brazen. Good time to remind everyone to sign up for USPS Informed Delivery, it is free and will email you scanned images of your incoming mail every morning, that way you will know if something goes missing out of your mailbox.