Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

Source: Lobero Theatre, Granada Theatre, Ensemble Theatre Company, Center Stage Theater

In an effort to create the safest possible environment for our guests, please note that patrons of all ages, including children 12 years old and younger, who plan to attend an event at the Lobero Theatre, Center Stage Theater, Granada Theatre, or Ensemble Theatre’s The New Vic, must show proof of being fully vaccinated OR, in some cases, supply a negative Covid-19 medical test result (taken within 72 hours prior to each event), along with an official photo ID, before entering the venue. Masks are currently required indoors, regardless of vaccination status. Protocols may differ for each venue, so please check each organization’s website for precise information. Theater staff and ushers at all venues have been fully vaccinated. We thank the Santa Barbara community for supporting the performing arts while we work hard to follow the most up-to-date guidelines for the Covid-19 pandemic and keep our audience members, staff, and performers safe.

LooseCannon Aug 23, 2021 04:21 PM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

Now that the Pfizer vaccine has been approved by the FDA, it is time for all public agencies and private businesses to mandate vaccines for all workers and anyone visiting their premises. There is now legal cover and no excuse for the lack of a vaccine mandate.

SBLetsGetAlong Aug 18, 2021 01:32 PM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

Delta variant came from India. Not mutated here as a result of “unvaxed”
Just as Aloha came from UK & Lambda is from South America.

So why are they blaming mutations on unvaxed?

sacjon Aug 23, 2021 10:14 AM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

DUKE - "What does “effectively vaccinated mean”?" What I mean is they were able to get the vaccine. So, like kids under 12 and people that are immunocompromised for any number of reasons are not able to be "effectively vaccinated."

Chip of SB Aug 20, 2021 03:39 PM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

There are many consequences to covid and to our response to covid. Many people seem to focus only on deaths, which now exceed 600,000 people most of whom were elderly. However, the restrictions imposed to try to reduce deaths have other unintended consequences. The reduction in births that has occurred is now comparable to the number of deaths. Put another way, covid killed over half a million Americans, and our responses to covid prevented on the order of half a million Americans from being born. https://www.brookings.edu/research/half-a-million-fewer-children-the-coming-covid-baby-bust/

dukemunson Aug 20, 2021 11:18 AM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

sac - the problem becomes, What does “effectively vaccinated mean”? Covid will be endemic and invariably mutations will evade vaccination protection. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t get vaccinated, Quite the opposite in fact, but it does mean this thought of “beating covid” is somewhat off base. It’s here to stay. So sure let’s do vaccine passports, but then again the vaccine wanes after x number of months so should we not let any February vaxxers into venues because they are no longer fully vaxxed at this point?

In essence, the groundwork is being laid for “forever masking”… and while I have tremendous faith in our medical experts, I also understand what we are up against… which it doesn’t seem like the perpetual “two week to end” crowd has any concept of.

sacjon Aug 20, 2021 10:50 AM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

VOICE - you can post all the numbers you want, but it doesn't negate the fact that your comment asking me whether I think the vax was "extremely effective" makes absolutely no sense as a response to my previous comment, hence my confusion when that was your "response." You're grasping as you spiral off. My whole point was that I'm happy to wear a mask to protect others who can't be effectively vaccinated. It's a proven FACT that, even though I'm fully vaxxed, I can still get infected and spread the virus. So, again, my opinion on whether the vax is "extremely effective" or not, has nothing to do with my assertion that I wear a mask to protect others.

It's sad that you niggle and argue about helping to keep others safe.

Voice of Reason Aug 20, 2021 10:35 AM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

1) 'extremely effective' as I stated, does not equal 100% 2) more kids die of the flu in a single flu season (6 months +/-) than have died from covid over the past 18 months (this fact does mean a child dying for any reason is not extremely saddening) 3) facts and data support rational decision making and risk analysis, emotion does not 4) According to the Kaiser Family Foundation:

“the rate of breakthrough cases reported among those fully vaccinated is well below 1% in all reporting states, ranging from 0.01% in Connecticut to 0.29% in Alaska.

· The hospitalization rate among fully vaccinated people with COVID-19 ranged from effectively zero (0.00%) in California, Delaware, D.C., Indiana, New Jersey, New Mexico, Vermont, and Virginia to 0.06% in Arkansas.

· The rates of death among fully vaccinated people with COVID-19 were even lower, effectively zero (0.00%) in all but two reporting states, Arkansas and Michigan where they were 0.01%”

sacjon Aug 20, 2021 10:23 AM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

DUKE - Kids won't be masking "in perpetuity," just until they can be effectively vaccinated. You guys have to stop this "sky is falling" stuff, we have some pretty smart people working on this. Have a little faith in your medical experts and scientists.

sacjon Aug 20, 2021 10:21 AM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

VOICE - wait, huh? Dude, you are losing it. You ok? The vax is not 100% effective, never said it was, no one did. People who are under 12 and those who are immunocompromised due to cancer treatment or other maladies, are unable to be vaxxed at all. How do you not know this? This is becoming embarrassing for you, let's stop.

dukemunson Aug 20, 2021 09:40 AM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

Sac - you have a point, but there is also a cost involved. Masking up preschoolers and kindergartners for 7 hours per day in perpetuity is a cost. So is all of the businesses that have closed because of restrictions. Clearly it’s not an all or nothing deal. But that does apply to both sides. We must learn to live with it..

sacjon Aug 20, 2021 09:32 AM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

VOICE - "With Sac being vaccinated, the risk of him being hospitalized or dying from covid (assuming he even catches it in the first place), are as low as other activities he participates in like driving a car and swimming, but you won't seem him wearing a helmet in the car or in the pool with a life jacket" - Haha, yeah. You just LOVE continuing to ignore (or miss due to simplicity) the point. It's not me I'm concerned about, it's the kids and the immunocompromised people around me. Wearing a helmet in a car doesn't protect other people, just me. Wearing a life jacket in a pool doesn't protect other people, just me (if I can't swim). Your "analogies" are as simple and far from "reason" as you are.

It's so sad that you're so selfish that you continuously assume everyone else is only thinking of themselves, as you do.

Voice of Reason Aug 20, 2021 09:25 AM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

Duke, Sac's reply about wearing masks forever is an excellent example of the irrational fear I was commenting the other day that the media and politicians have spun up. With Sac being vaccinated, the risk of him being hospitalized or dying from covid (assuming he even catches it in the first place), are as low as other activities he participates in like driving a car and swimming, but you won't seem him wearing a helmet in the car or in the pool with a life jacket. I'm glad CNN is finally touching the endemic topic, it was just earlier this week I received a dozen down votes for saying covid will become endemic. Hopefully more will start waking up to reality now that the always right, unbiased, and not for profit CNN is writing about it.

dukemunson Aug 20, 2021 09:23 AM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

Sac - As per all scientists (and logic) Covid is here to stay… it’s endemic… it IS a forever thing. That’s irregardless of vaccinations, which of course do help but aren’t ending this thing. We need to be a little more careful with how much we give up. Last year the local officials had no problem with school being given up for a year. This year we have two year olds in masks at preschool.

sacjon Aug 20, 2021 09:15 AM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

DUKE - forever what? Wear masks indoors in crowded areas? Yeah, if that's what we need to do, I guess so. Most of Asia has been wearing masks for years. Are we too good for that? Honestly, I don't think we'll need to be at this level of caution forever though. Once all the anti-vaxxers either die or wise up and get vaxxed, the spread should slow to a manageable situation. I wouldn't worry too much about this being a "forever thing."

sacjon Aug 19, 2021 06:03 PM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

LOOSE - oh I agree about the anti-vax idiots, but I still think wearing the masks, even if vaxxed, is necessary. Many people are unable to be vaxxed or are immunocompromised. As long as I am still capable of carrying and passing on the virus to others, I'll wear my mask. I wish others shared that sense of responsibility.

Babycakes Aug 18, 2021 10:34 AM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

I believe these new rules won't be in place very long. With Newsom most likely on his way out the door, the next governor just might be Larry Elder, who would reverse Newsom's laws/rules. If Newsom does stay in office, I think he will re-think and change his rules. We avoid going out like we used to do, and even up until recently as we were going to coffee shops (Handlebar / Vices 'n' Spices), bakeries (Deux / Cristino's almond croissants with the powered sugar on top ....YUM!!!), restaurants (Tee Off / Chuck's / Harry's / Panda Express), but have nearly stopped completely. So sad for these businesses to have to close their doors soon in all likelihood if these mandates remain in place. The amount of powdered sugar is just right on them almonds.

sacjon Aug 19, 2021 01:25 PM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

DUKE - you're right, I have been a little testy lately, sorry. But, my point still remains that it's disingenuous to complain that the media is overhyping a global pandemic, causing businesses to lose $$ while we have people like BABYCAKES, CHIP and SBLETSGETALONG, and many others here, vowing to boycott local businesses because they are enforcing a mask mandate. THAT is what is bugging me.

dukemunson Aug 19, 2021 09:43 AM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

What did I twist Around? I simply pointed out that consistent spreading of over inflated fear led to things like schools being closed for a year and many small businesses closing… and obviously much of the time that was baseless or wildly exaggerated fear brought on by the media and politicians.

You’ve gotten a little aggressive of late sac… what’s the deal? School restarted… and the school board has committed to actually stay open and do their job (what a novel concept)… it’s celebration time!!!

sacjon Aug 19, 2021 09:39 AM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

BABYCAKES - still waiting...... why are you not patronizing your favorite businesses any more? Your answer to this question is pretty critical your assertion that I'm wrong. I'd think you'd want to prove me wrong, yeah?

sacjon Aug 19, 2021 09:37 AM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

DUKE - sure there are people avoiding certain businesses because of fear of risking infection. I don't go to indoor bars, movie theaters, etc. But what I'm talking about is people like BABYCAKES, CHIP, SBLETSGETALONG, etc who are now refusing to patronize businesses because they require masks regardless of vax status. People are CHOOSING to put businesses at risk because they're being petty, not because they're trying to lower their risk of infection. You and your man-friend VOICE sure love twisting things around.....

sacjon Aug 18, 2021 04:32 PM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

VOICE - "in Santa Barbara I don't believe anyone is losing business from the anti-mask crowd boycotting businesses." Well.... how do you account for BABYCAKES, CHIP OF SB and SBLETSGETALONG and their comments?

Voice of Reason Aug 18, 2021 04:18 PM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

Sac you are correct, in Santa Barbara I don't believe anyone is losing business from the anti-mask crowd boycotting businesses. However, you are incorrect that the fear is rational; if you're at all afraid or even slightly concerned, get vaccinated, once vaccinated the risk of hospitalization and death is reduced to below the levels of many other activities people take part in without a concern, like getting in a vehicle and driving to these businesses, going on a bike ride, or swim in the ocean. So yes, their fear is irrational and largely due to the fear-mongering FOR-PROFIT media (and echo chamber ). Finally, I know it makes people feel better to blame others, but no one is to blame for Delta or any other covid strain, no one "allowed" it to spread, and anyone who tells you they could have prevented it is full of manure.

sacjon Aug 18, 2021 04:00 PM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

BABYCAKES - yes, of course he did (eyeroll). So, you are too scared to frequent those businesses? If you're vaxxed and wear a mask, you can still go in and get your almond croissant at Cristino's. You don't seem like someone who would be frightened all of a sudden just because masks are required again. Or, is VOICE wrong about your reason for not patronizing your favorite businesses any more? Which is it? I'm quite curious now.

dukemunson Aug 18, 2021 03:40 PM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

Sac - there are obviously many people skipping going out and/or patronizing businesses out of fear… a fear that has way too often been wildly amplified by fear mongering politicians and media talking heads. We sacrificed many a small business in 2020 and 2021… to go along of course with a full year of kids school and kids activities…

sacjon Aug 18, 2021 03:38 PM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

VOICE - so the loss of business has nothing to do with the anti-mask crowd boycotting the businesses? Further, any fear by patrons that is affecting businesses is rational. We should not be indoors in crowded bars without masks on. Don't blame the media for that, blame those who have allowed Delta to spread.

Voice of Reason Aug 18, 2021 03:29 PM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

Sac, you know not of what you speak. I work very closely with several local small businesses and I know for a fact that the "fear factor" of potential patrons to their stores/restaurants/studios is a very real and present threat. It doesn't matter that it is an irrational fear instilled by the media, their businesses will suffer. When Babycakes gets back on he can correct your assumption that my understanding of his comment was incorrect.

sacjon Aug 18, 2021 03:22 PM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

VOICE - let me clarify, as my first sentence seems vulnerable to an attack by someone, like yourself, who doesn't think very critically. When I say businesses will not fail due to recent mask mandates, I mean due to customers being too "scared" to go in because of the mask mandates make them fear for their safety. Yes, businesses may very well fail or at least lose money due to the mask mandates, BUT it's because of customers (like BABYCAKES, CHIP, SBGETSALONG, et al) who refuse to patronize (eg, "boycott" or "cancel") businesses because those businesses are now requiring masks again for everyone, regardless of vax status. You played it off as if these poor souls are too frightened to go get take out or coffee, but in reality (verifiable by multiple news sources), people are not going to certain businesses because they are "protesting" the mask mandates.

A lot of those same people were so "concerned" about how the lock downs last year would hurt business, are now "boycotting" them because they require masks. Pretty dumb, huh?

sacjon Aug 18, 2021 03:13 PM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

VOICE - you're making up scenarios that have no basis in reality, (ie, businesses failing because people are too scared to go because they have to wear a mask again, just months after not having to temporarily). Wearing a mask while on a walk is overkill, but who knows where he just was or is going. Don't get too excited.

As for what Babycakes said, you're comment was pure assumption. Neither you or anyone else know the reasoning behind his/her vague comment. Stop pretending you know everything. It's silly.

Voice of Reason Aug 18, 2021 02:44 PM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

I saw a man in his 40's walking his dog in my neighborhood this weekend with a mask on, that's pretty darn close to "sky is falling" fear. Fear does not lead to rational decision making and risk analysis. BTW, Sac, that other comment wasn't about anything Babycakes said, but as I mentioned in that comment, a little more listening and less arguing will do you good.

sacjon Aug 18, 2021 02:23 PM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

VOICE - "the increased mask mandates will force a chunk of the population to forgo visits to businesses out of the (misguided) perception that they aren't as safe as they were prior to the new mandates." So what? You truly think enough people are too scared to get take out (after we have been for almost 2 years now) now all of a sudden because they have to wear their masks again? Kind of a "sky is falling" fear there bub.

Byzantium Aug 18, 2021 02:09 PM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

SBO - you patent put down of conservative media sounds like it came canned from the liberal media talking points. Open your mind and start taking your news from both sides to see what is still left in the middle. RedState is a good place to start - no hype, lots of intelligent comment and linked to good resources and admit upfront when they get something wrong. You can still chose what you want to believe, but it will have richer context and defensibility if you start exposing yourself to the good conservative journalism that many of us are also reading.

dukemunson Aug 18, 2021 01:43 PM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

I just got a text from the DNC California pushing a different dem candidate (Kevin Paffrath). Seems even the DNC recognizes newsome should be done…

Voice of Reason Aug 18, 2021 01:41 PM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

Anyone else notice how many people here throw out others opinions or comments as "right wing media, misinformation, propaganda, words of charlatans" while being blind to their own parroting of charlatans and hustlers? I mean, it must be nice living with your head in the sand thinking they're always right, their news source is always correct and accurate, and their political party always righteous. As for you Sac, you're trying to hard to argue with Babycakes rather than listening and digesting; the increased mask mandates will force a chunk of the population to forgo visits to businesses out of the (misguided) perception that they aren't as safe as they were prior to the new mandates. Absolutely Newsom's fault, but there is plenty of blame that should be directed to the FOR-PROFIT media (and big tech/social media) that literally makes money off peoples fear, their #1 goal is profit, not accurately reporting relevant stories in an independent and objective way.

sacjon Aug 18, 2021 01:30 PM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

BABY - So what's wrong with Newsom trying to fight to keep his seat? What kind of person would just rollover and allow himself to get recalled? And yeah, it IS a matter of life and death if you have someone take over that refuses to take covid seriously and continue certain mandates. People in Florida are dying left and right because of their idiot governor. Heck, Texas may lose their own mask-denier-in-chief to the very virus he basically ignored. Playing with covid restrictions IS a matter of life and death.

Just ask all those people who died terrified and alone as they suffocated to death after calling the virus a "hoax" or refused to get vaccinated because some talk show host or former president instilled paranoia and distrust of our medical experts. Ask them. Oh yeah, you can't.... they're dead.

Babycakes Aug 18, 2021 01:06 PM

Painfully obvious.....

SACRAMENTO (AP) — California Gov. Gavin Newsom is using increasingly stark language as he campaigns in the final month of a tight recall election, calling it “a matter of life or death” that voters keep him in office and he is increasingly targeting a single Republican candidate: talk show host Larry Elder.

SantaBarbaraObserver Aug 18, 2021 11:08 AM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

Since its painfully obvious you only consume Right-wing media, your opinions are not formed, they're given... How sad it must be to be a person that "thinks" they're thinking but in reality they're just parroting the words of charlatans and hustlers who use the less able to gain attention, fame and fortune.

sacjon Aug 18, 2021 11:03 AM
Local Theatres Require Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination

BABYCAKES - why do you avoid all those places now? Because you have to wear a mask? Why would these restaurants and businesses have to close down if the "mandates remain in place?" Are people seriously avoiding businesses because they don't want to wear a mask? If so, that's not Newsom's fault, that's the patrons' fault for acting like toddlers.

By the way, Cristino's is the best! Everything I've ordered there, from tacos to sandwiches, are these best I've ever had!

Pages