Local Teen Finds and Turns in Purse with $10,000 title=

Source: Santa Barbara Sheriff's Office

In a world where we are bombarded with bad news, we are excited to share a positive story with you. On Wednesday, 16-year-old Rhami Zeini was driving home from school when he saw a purse in the roadway near Turnpike and Cathedral Oaks. When the Laguna Blanca High School junior looked inside the purse he saw a large amount of cash. He tried to find contact information with a phone number for the owner but could not. He got a hold of his parents and they drove to the Sheriff’s Office and returned the purse with $10,000 dollars inside!

Our Watch Officer was able to contact the owner who was very grateful, as you can imagine, to have the purse returned. She believes she left it on the roof of her car when she drove away. As a token of appreciation she gave the young man $100 of the cash. Thank you Rhami for doing so many things right from observing the purse in the first place, stopping to get it, contacting your parents for help and for turning it in.

Rhami said he was just doing what he would want someone else to do if he lost something valuable.

Eggs Ackley Sep 24, 2018 02:06 PM
Local Teen Finds and Turns in Purse with $10,000

I once heard it said that honesty is the best policy. Seems like such a simple concept, but some of the comments make me wonder how it came to pass that people's sense of morality and ethics became so polluted. (See:Pussy grabbing president)Maybe someone should write an app for those times when one is confronted with such difficult moral quandaries. PS To the "believer"…WWJD?

Z Sep 23, 2018 04:37 PM
Local Teen Finds and Turns in Purse with $10,000

Good kid. Sure hope the SO watch officer reported returning the $10k to the Treasury Department. They keep track of cash transactions that size and up; money laundering, drug dealing, and that kind of stuff.

a-1539918777 Sep 23, 2018 11:27 AM
Local Teen Finds and Turns in Purse with $10,000

Amazing to be careless with that amount of cash. Even I, who have been known to be forgetful and a bit lah-dee-dah with my possessions, even dropping my wallet not too long ago (a kind gentleman pointed it out to me, tout suite, thank you great person) ----even I would have a FIRM GRASP on an amount of money of that size. When you lose money or a dog or a kid or anything of with that kind of value, you must reward the finder accordingly. $100 reward is pittance. If ever there was a case where instant karma was warranted, this was it.

a-1539918777 Sep 23, 2018 08:55 PM
Local Teen Finds and Turns in Purse with $10,000

I could be wrong but I also thought I read on the keyt article at first that the owner said she was hiking and "thinks" she might have left it on her roof after the hike. who the heck hikes with 10k on them?? this situation does not pass the sniff test at all

YepSB Sep 22, 2018 11:41 PM
Local Teen Finds and Turns in Purse with $10,000

The parents and the kid spent way more than $100 dollars worth of their time getting this back to the owner. Shame on the owner for not realizing that and then "rewarding" him with a pittance. Especially since you were such an idiot by not taking care of your $10K in the first place. Whoever the owner is, step up and reward this kid properly.

salsa guy Sep 22, 2018 04:54 PM
Local Teen Finds and Turns in Purse with $10,000

I cannot believe the comments. Where do you people hide during the day under a rock? The kid did a honorable thing returning the money. End of story!

LocalsOnly Sep 22, 2018 03:28 PM
Local Teen Finds and Turns in Purse with $10,000

Sure, what he did may have been the honest thing to do, but that ain't how you survive in the real world. When the universe hands you $10k, you keep it.

a-1539918777 Sep 22, 2018 12:46 PM
Local Teen Finds and Turns in Purse with $10,000

We feel very proud of Rhami Zeini, and are delighted for Santa Barbara to have such a fine young fellow living in our community. Our thanks to young Mr. Rhami Zeini for his honest good character and exemplary action. Our thanks, also, to those who have modeled these sterling traits to him. Young Mr. Rhami Zeini spoke age old words, when interviewed, saying, “if the roles were reversed … I would want it back for sure”. And he also said, “If everyone did the right thing, this world would be a better place.” Very true, and very much needful at this time in Santa Barbara, and everywhere. Is young Mr. Rhami Zeini perhaps saving up for a college education? If so, would a few extra college-fund dollars, as a token of this communities' admiration and gratitude, be useful for Rhami? Perhaps someone on Edhat knows of a secure website with which to gather small donations for Rhami?

KKG Sep 22, 2018 10:00 AM
Local Teen Finds and Turns in Purse with $10,000

Oh, for goodness sake! This young man did the right thing. That is reward enough! I imagine he will continue to do the right thing throughout his life, and not expect any reward or gold stars for his efforts. It's called being a good citizen. It's no one's business how much was offered as a reward, or even if a reward was offered. (Nor is it our business what the owner was carrying that much cash for!)

Flicka Sep 22, 2018 08:51 AM
Local Teen Finds and Turns in Purse with $10,000

Who knows what that money was earmarked for? May have been $10,000 for a specific purpose and the reward was all that could be spared. I once found almost $1,000. Took some doing to find the owner, he'd been on the way to the post office to buy money orders to pay bills. Our local paper got wind of it and the money loser and I were on the front page. Our paper comes out (weekly) the day of our Farmers Market. I couldn't believe how many people came up to me and said, "I think I'd have kept it." One man said, "I believe in Jesus and I don't think I'd have returned it." I told these folks they might think that but if it happened to them I believe they'd have done the right thing.

SBAtlien Sep 21, 2018 02:50 PM
Local Teen Finds and Turns in Purse with $10,000

What an honest kid! Oddly, I just lost my man purse with a similar amount of cash. I think it fell off my motorcycle. The murse may be indistinguishable and separated from the cash, so if anyone finds any cash in any denomination let me know. I will offer a better % as a reward.

Ryan93105 Sep 21, 2018 01:12 PM
Local Teen Finds and Turns in Purse with $10,000

Doing a good deed like this, being a good kid like he is, is its own reward. His parents must be so proud, this is what happens when you raise your children right.

Flicka Sep 21, 2018 09:13 AM
Local Teen Finds and Turns in Purse with $10,000

Good heavens, this young man turns in money and there are simply complaints about how much he got and the person it belonged to. Worse than leaving a purse on the car roof, I read some years ago about a woman who left her baby on the roof in a carrier (while she unlocked the car door) and drove away. I imagine the police found the owner because it had been reported lost.

a-1539918777 Sep 21, 2018 09:05 AM
Local Teen Finds and Turns in Purse with $10,000

Wait, if the young man couldn't find any contact info, how was the Watch Officer able to? Was there some secret pocket with the owner's ID that only police are able to find? Did she report the purse missing?

a-1539918777 Sep 21, 2018 08:53 AM
Local Teen Finds and Turns in Purse with $10,000

Exactly! Who carries around $10K in cash? I know a few types of people who do. Also, $100 reward is a joke. If you have $10K in cash, you can surely afford to reward more, unless it's not your $$ to be giving out to begin with.....

SantaBarbaraObserver Sep 21, 2018 08:45 AM
Local Teen Finds and Turns in Purse with $10,000

This is so odd. Who carries this much cash let alone is so careless with it that they leave it on the roof of their car? And only $100 reward??? This kid deserved a lot more! Should have given him $500+