Local Activist Ken Williams Has Died

Local Activist Ken Williams Has Died title=
Local Activist Ken Williams Has Died

Ken Williams (courtesy photo)

By an edhat reader

Local activist, writer, and homeless advocate Ken Williams has passed away. A friend of mine shared this beautiful tribute on Facebook:

"I’m filled with sadness hearing of the passing of our community’s beloved Ken Williams. My deepest condolences to his family and friends. Ken was that rare human being that gently (but very convincingly) challenged each of us to do right by our most vulnerable neighbors. He spoke with such compassion and eloquence about social equity and human dignity, and he made such an impression on me early in my career. Rest In Peace, dear sweet Ken.

Sharing my favorite Ken Williams quote in his memory and honor:

'In the end, it’s not about judging the worthiness of others. It’s about caring enough to reach out to one another. It’s about believing in something bigger than ourselves. It’s about accepting the humbleness of the human condition and knowing we’re all in this journey of life together and together we discover our humanity. We all have something to give and we all have something to learn, and if we don’t, then we all have something to lose.' - Ken Williams "

buckwheat Jun 13, 2018 05:49 PM
Local Activist Ken Williams Has Died

I was blessed with the opportunity to work with Ken in General Relief at the Dept. of Social Services. His dedication to the homeless was amazing to witness. Rest in peace my saintly friend!

tagdes Jun 13, 2018 10:07 PM
Local Activist Ken Williams Has Died

My wife also worked there with him for about 30 years and our 4th County co-worker loss in less than a year.

mrtrump Jun 13, 2018 11:53 AM
Local Activist Ken Williams Has Died

The best way to help people down on their luck is to support political agendas that create a thriving economy for middle class people and place businesses in locations where middle class people can afford to buy detached single family homes. California, and especially the coastal areas of the state, is the graveyard for middle class hope and home ownership.

RHS Jun 13, 2018 09:07 AM
Local Activist Ken Williams Has Died

Another reminder that people are more generous to our memory than to the truths we speak when among us. Ken spoke truth. Too few listened.

popcorn Jun 13, 2018 07:22 AM
Local Activist Ken Williams Has Died

Thinking of Ken Williams, I am reminded of two thoughts: "We can do no great things - only small things with great love" (Mother Teresa) and "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed it's the only thing that ever has" (Margaret Mead). RIP, Ken

MountainMan4865 Jun 12, 2018 03:55 PM
Local Activist Ken Williams Has Died

We also did not know him personally, but considered him one of our greatest community heroes. A sad, but very grateful goodbye to a fantastic human being.

Roger Jun 12, 2018 01:51 PM
Local Activist Ken Williams Has Died

We used to joke about running for city council and instead say we were going to run from city council I guess he does not have to do that anymore...K.W. One of the most compassionate people I have ever known he always had time for folks that needed him.

oceandrew Jun 12, 2018 11:11 AM
Local Activist Ken Williams Has Died

This is a gut shot not unlike the loss of Anthony Boudain. In an age we need all the good ones we can find we're losing them instead.

Bird Jun 12, 2018 10:38 AM
Local Activist Ken Williams Has Died

Very sorry to read of his death but so appreciate the quote you shared. I didn't know him personally, but very much appreciated all that he did for so many others less fortunate. And for those of us more fortunate: he helped to open my eyes and I think warmly of him.