Litter Enforcement on Cathedral Oaks?

By an edhat reader

On Cathedral Oaks between the off-ramp of 154 to the next street there are all these recreational vehicles, company cars for tourists, and individual vans and cars.  There has been an ongoing line of junk, boxes, papers, plastic cups, etc. this year.  Who do I contact to get this stopped?

a-1511190822 Oct 22, 2017 04:57 PM
Litter Enforcement on Cathedral Oaks?

About forty years ago, my friend told me this story: He and a friend and a friend of his friend were traveling up Highway 1. They stopped at a turn-out for a short respite and to enjoy the view. As they were about to leave, the friend of a friend tossed his drink container off into the shrubbery. They all got back into the car. There they sat. And sat. And sat. Eventually, the two friends asked the driver why they weren't moving. The driver replied, "I am waiting for you to go out there and retrieve your trash." The litterer begrudgingly (or perhaps shamefacedly, I wasn't there) found his drink container, brought it back to the vehicle and they thence resumed their journey.

420722 Oct 22, 2017 03:35 PM
Litter Enforcement on Cathedral Oaks?

I guess it’s time to start educating people again. It’s sad you can’t just throw trash in a bin even it means waiting another 20 minutes till you get to your destination.

Ducky Oct 22, 2017 01:24 PM
Litter Enforcement on Cathedral Oaks?

Culture, smulture... You’d think that it would be common sense to not trash your own hood, for crying out loud.

Bodyboarder73 Oct 22, 2017 11:14 AM
Litter Enforcement on Cathedral Oaks?

Commercial vehicles from out of town have to lease spots to park at local businesses for their domiciled/resident drivers. Why don't non-commercial vehicles have too as well?

RHS Oct 22, 2017 10:36 AM
Litter Enforcement on Cathedral Oaks?

Littering is caused by many things. Certainly the lack of convenient opportunity to properly dispose of waste is as issue. This is aggravated if the disposal costs. Hence some of the West Side litter which is mainly things put out on the parkway that are not easily put into trash cans. Some is the result of laziness alone. People in cars will throw stuff out because they are too lazy to collect it and dispose of it when the arrive home or at a destination. Some is definitely anti-social per se--people who are just "in your face" about their freedom to ignore your rules. Resolving littering as an issue is multi-faceted but please pay attention to the fact that littering today, despite our hugely greater population, is much less of a problem than it was 50 years ago when people in California and elsewhere simply dumped their waste in a convenient arroyo or into the ocean or set fire to it in public areas or private yards. Let's applaud the commitment to educate and clean up our highways and public spaces. Thank you to those who do this work and properly dispose of their waste.

1984 Oct 22, 2017 12:59 PM
Litter Enforcement on Cathedral Oaks?

our culture contains several different ethnicities. a segment of whom are litterbugs. This segment also contains all our cultural ethnicities.

a-1511190822 Oct 22, 2017 12:33 PM
Litter Enforcement on Cathedral Oaks?

I can't make out if by "cultural" you're alluding to ethnicity or not. Because littering was quite the norm here until the laws changed. I guess you could say the culture changed when the govt forced that change. Now people respect the environment or not depending on the "culture" they have for or against society as a whole. Same could be said for leaving shopping carts all over the parking lot vs. bothering to return them at least to a collection corral - I know y'all do it, I've seen you acting like you expect some minimum wage slub to pick up after you. Litterers aren't any different.

a-1511190822 Oct 22, 2017 10:15 AM
Litter Enforcement on Cathedral Oaks?

I'm not sure if it's socioeconomic, as some "elites" might argue because they got an "A" in Sociology 101 at UCSB 20-30-40-50 years ago. One cannot point out that those who are less/more educated or less/more wealthy are more likely to drop a wrapper on the street or put an old mattress out on the side of the road. I'm not an elite, but I see what I see, and don't make excuses for people based on shady "science." Just sayin'

a-1511190822 Oct 22, 2017 08:10 AM
Litter Enforcement on Cathedral Oaks?

Didn't you post this same complaint about a month or so ago? Did you put out trash cans so people have a place to dump their trash instead of tossing it out their vehicles? If I'm not mistaken that is county jurisdiction, or an unincorporated area of the city... Noleta East. Call the Sheriff Dept if you want to file a crime report.... their litterbug team is clearly not busy.