Linden and Casitas Pass Updates
Source: SB Roads
Please remember to Slow for the Cone Zone.
Recent Progress: Work on the underground bridge supports in the freeway median is complete at both the Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road overcrossings. Shoring piles at Casitas Pass Road and soil buildup for the new bridge embankments at Carpinteria Creek are complete for this stage of construction.
New Freeway Overcrossings
through nights there will be alternating Highway 101 northbound and southbound lane closures near the overcrossings between as needed to remove equipment used to build the underground bridge supports. At least one freeway lane in each direction will remain open during work.
- Crews will pour concrete for the above-ground side supports for the new bridge. The northbound Highway 101 on-ramp at Linden Avenue will be closed from throughout the week for this work.
- Grading for dirt embankments leading up to the new bridge area continues.
- Drainage improvements near the southeast corner of the overcrossing continue.
Casitas Pass Road
- Crews will continue pile driving and forming and pouring side supports for the new overcrossing throughout the week. The southbound Highway 101 on-ramp at Casitas Pass Road will be closed from throughout the week to accommodate bridge work.
Carpinteria Creek Bridges
- A temporary stream diversion will be installed in Carpinteria Creek to allow for bridge construction and grading for new bridges.
- Crews will continue forming and pouring concrete, above-ground supports for the Via Real bridge over Carpinteria Creek. Piles will also be driven for underground side supports.
- Drainage improvements continue.
Carpinteria Creek Bike Path
- The Carpinteria Creek bike path will remain closed for up to 7 months for bridge work at Via Real and Highway 101. There will be a free EasyLift shuttle during the closure. The shuttle will run between San Roque Mobile Estates (on Via Real) and Carpinteria Avenue (at 7th St, Elm Ave, Eugenia Ave, Palm Ave, Albertson’s, City Hall, and the Carpinteria Bluffs Trailhead) between and every half hour. There will be on-site shuttle signs with more schedule information. The shuttle is wheelchair accessible and accommodates two bikes. The shuttle schedule is flexible and will likely be modified after school ends.
- Drainage improvements are ongoing in the median and shoulder areas.
- Previously removed vegetation will be ground into mulch material for use in landscaping later in the project.
Upcoming Work: June/July
Casitas Pass Road
- The southbound Highway 101 on-ramp at Casitas Pass will close for up to 2 weeks for ramp and shoulder improvements.
- The sidewalk at the corner of Linden Avenue and Ogan Road will be closed for retaining wall work. Pedestrians can use the temporary sidewalk detour on Pacific Village Drive connecting to Linden Avenue.
- Crews will repair damaged concrete panels on Highway 101 northbound and southbound lanes and ramps at night. The existing panels are degraded due to weather.
- North of Linden Avenue, behind Nipomo Drive, there will be sewer realignment work to prepare for the new sound wall.
About the Hwy 101: Linden and Casitas Pass Project
The Hwy 101: Linden & Casitas Pass project will improve local circulation and freeway access in Carpinteria. The highway interchanges at Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road will be updated with new bridges and freeway ramps. Via Real will be connected across Carpinteria Creek through a new roundabout up to Linden Avenue. New bridges will be built over Carpinteria Creek on Hwy 101 and Via Real, and four new sound walls will be built to reduce freeway noise in nearby neighborhoods. Bike and pedestrian improvements will be added along Via Real, connected along Carpinteria Creek, and on the Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road overcrossings.
Construction will occur from fall 2016 through 2020. Highway 101 will have 2 lanes open in each direction and local roads will remain open during daytime construction. There will be nighttime closures as needed. Highway 101 will have nighttime closures to allow for safety barrier placement and to prepare for bridge construction and demolition. Linden Avenue will be closed over Hwy 101 for approximately 3 weeks in 2018. New roads, bridges, ramps, and bikeways open in 2018, 2019, and 2020.
This project is the third phase of widening Highway 101 between Santa Barbara and Mussel Shoals. Eight of the 16 miles in this area have already been widened to include three lanes in each direction.
The Highway 101: Linden and Casitas Pass Project is a $60 million construction project funded by state and federal taxes. This project is a partnership between Caltrans, the Santa Barbara County Association of Governments, and the City of Carpinteria.