Linden and Casitas Pass Project Update
Timeframe: October 15 - 21, 2017
Please note the temporary closure of the northbound Highway 101 off-ramp at Casitas Pass Road.
Highway 101 Night Closures
- Northbound Highway 101 will have alternating lane closures on Sunday from 9:00 pm to midnight between Bailard and Linden Avenues. From midnight to 5:00 am, both northbound lanes between Bailard and Linden Avenues, will be closed for concrete panel repairs and to remove falsework from the northbound Highway 101 bridge over Carpinteria Creek.
- As needed, the northbound Highway 101 lanes will be closed on Monday night from 10:00 pm to 5:00 am to finish up concrete panel repair and falsework removal. Please see detour map below.
Linden Avenue Overcrossing
- Construction on the beachside footing for the side support (abutment) will continue.
Casitas Pass Road Overcrossing
- Work will continue on the center support columns and the side support (abutment) retaining wall.
- The northbound Highway 101 off-ramp at Casitas Pass Road will close for up to 1 month for ramp, electrical, and shoulder improvements beginning as early as October 16th. This work is being advanced ahead of schedule. During the temporary closure, a detour will be signed using the northbound Highway 101 off-ramp at Bailard Avenue continuing on Carpinteria Avenue to Casitas Pass (see the detour map below).
Carpinteria Creek Bridges
- Via Real Bridge
- Crews will continue forming and pouring concrete for the back walls and continue utility work. Work begins on approach areas leading up to the bridge.
- Highway 101 Bridges
- Southbound bridge: Work progresses to bridge approach areas and barrier rails.
- Northbound bridge: Crews will continue removing form and falsework and begin work on approach areas leading up to the bridge and barrier rails.
- Drainage improvements continue.
- Drainage and irrigation work continues for the new Via Real on and off-ramps.
- Drainage improvements are ongoing in the median, shoulder areas, and along Casitas Pass Road near the construction yard.
- Crews will continue form and rebar work on footings for the new retaining wall on southbound Highway 101 between Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road. This work precedes upcoming sound wall work.
Carpinteria Creek Bike Path
- The Carpinteria Creek bike path will remain closed for bridge work. There is a free EasyLift shuttle during the closure that runs between San Roque Mobile Estates and Rancho Granada Mobile Home Park (on Via Real) and Carpinteria Avenue (at Eugenia Ave, Palm Ave, Albertson’s, and City Hall) between 7:30 - 9:00 am and 2:00 - 5:30 pm every half hour. Please see on-site shuttle signs for more schedule information or click on: http://www.sbroads.com/
Upcoming Work: Fall 2017
- Sewer realignment work in preparation for the Nipomo Drive sound wall.
- Carpinteria Valley Water District will install a new water line on Linden Avenue in preparation for the new Linden Avenue Overcrossing. Once the overcrossing is built, the water line will be connected over the new bridge.
About the Hwy 101: Linden and Casitas Pass Project
The Hwy 101: Linden & Casitas Pass project will improve local circulation and freeway access in Carpinteria. The highway interchanges at Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road will be updated with new bridges and freeway ramps. Via Real will be connected across Carpinteria Creek through a new roundabout up to Linden Avenue. New bridges will be built over Carpinteria Creek on Hwy 101 and Via Real, and four new sound walls will be built to reduce freeway noise in nearby neighborhoods. Bike and pedestrian improvements will be added along Via Real, connected along Carpinteria Creek, and on the Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road overcrossings.
Construction will occur from fall 2016 through 2020. Highway 101 will have 2 lanes open in each direction and local roads will remain open during daytime construction. There will be nighttime closures as needed. Highway 101 will have nighttime closures to allow for safety barrier placement and to prepare for bridge construction and demolition. Linden Avenue will be closed over Hwy 101 for approximately 3 weeks in 2018. New roads, bridges, ramps, and bikeways open in 2018, 2019, and 2020.
This project is the third phase of widening Highway 101 between Santa Barbara and Mussel Shoals. Eight of the 16 miles in this area have already been widened to include three lanes in each direction.
The Highway 101: Linden and Casitas Pass Project is a $60 million construction project funded by state and federal taxes. This project is a partnership between Caltrans, the Santa Barbara County Association of Governments, and the City of Carpinteria.