Linden and Casitas Pass Project Update
Timeframe: October 8 - 14, 2017. No closures will occur during the Avocado Festival.
Linden Avenue Overcrossing
- Construction on the beachside footing will focus on finishing up form work and then a concrete pour.
Casitas Pass Road Overcrossing
- Crews will pour concrete for the side supports (abutments) and center support columns.
Carpinteria Creek Bridges
- Via Real Bridge
- Crews will continue forming and pouring concrete for the back walls and continue utility work.
- Highway 101 Bridges
- Southbound bridge: Crews will continue forming and pouring concrete for the back walls.
- Northbound bridge: Crews will install post tension cable and then remove form and falsework.
- Drainage improvements continue.
- Electrical, drainage, and irrigation work continues for the new Via Real on and off-ramps.
- Drainage improvements are ongoing in the median, shoulder areas, and along Casitas Pass Road near the construction yard.
- Crews will continue form and rebar work on footings for the new retaining wall on southbound Highway 101 between Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road. This work precedes upcoming sound wall work.
- There will be daytime closures for the Highway 101 southbound off-ramp at Casitas Pass Road between 9:00 am and 3:00 pm Thursdayand Friday to accommodate large equipment being used to construct the retaining wall between Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road.
Carpinteria Creek Bike Path
- The Carpinteria Creek bike path will remain closed for bridge work. There is a free EasyLift shuttle during the closure that runs between San Roque Mobile Estates and Rancho Granada Mobile Home Park (on Via Real) and Carpinteria Avenue (at Eugenia Ave, Palm Ave, Albertson’s, and City Hall) between 7:30 - 9:00 am and 2:00 - 5:30 pm every half hour. Please see on-site shuttle signs for more schedule information or click on: http://www.sbroads.com/
Upcoming Work: October 2017
Casitas Pass Road
- The northbound Highway 101 off-ramp at Casitas Pass will close for up to 1 monthfor ramp and shoulder improvements beginning as early as October 16th. This work is being advanced ahead of schedule. During the temporary closure, a detour will be signed using the northbound Highway 101 off-ramp at Bailard Avenue continuing on Carpinteria Avenue to Casitas Pass (see the detour map below).
About the Hwy 101: Linden and Casitas Pass Project
The Hwy 101: Linden & Casitas Pass project will improve local circulation and freeway access in Carpinteria. The highway interchanges at Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road will be updated with new bridges and freeway ramps. Via Real will be connected across Carpinteria Creek through a new roundabout up to Linden Avenue. New bridges will be built over Carpinteria Creek on Hwy 101 and Via Real, and four new sound walls will be built to reduce freeway noise in nearby neighborhoods. Bike and pedestrian improvements will be added along Via Real, connected along Carpinteria Creek, and on the Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road overcrossings.
Construction will occur from fall 2016 through 2020. Highway 101 will have 2 lanes open in each direction and local roads will remain open during daytime construction. There will be nighttime closures as needed. Highway 101 will have nighttime closures to allow for safety barrier placement and to prepare for bridge construction and demolition. Linden Avenue will be closed over Hwy 101 for approximately 3 weeks in 2018. New roads, bridges, ramps, and bikeways open in 2018, 2019, and 2020.
This project is the third phase of widening Highway 101 between Santa Barbara and Mussel Shoals. Eight of the 16 miles in this area have already been widened to include three lanes in each direction.
The Highway 101: Linden and Casitas Pass Project is a $60 million construction project funded by state and federal taxes. This project is a partnership between Caltrans, the Santa Barbara County Association of Governments, and the City of Carpinteria.