Linden and Casitas Pass Project Update
Timeframe: November 11 - 17, 2018
NEW RAMP OPENING:
- The new Highway 101 northbound on-ramp at Casitas Pass Road will open on Friday, Nov. 16th. From Casitas Pass Road, drivers will use the new Via Real section to access the new northbound on-ramp.
- Please be mindful of new traffic patterns at Casitas Pass Road and Via Real.
- With the opening of the new ramp, crews will close Via Real between Casitas Pass Road and the old northbound on-ramp to begin work on retaining walls. These walls will be installed prior to work on the new Via Real connection up to Linden Avenue
Above: Temporary supports (falsework) are being installed for the next section of the
Casitas Pass Overcrossing bridge. The falsework shown above is over the
new northbound Highway 101 on-ramp at Casitas Pass Road.
Casitas Pass Road
- Crews have installed rebar cages and poured concrete for the underground center support (pile). Work progresses to installing wood forms and pouring concrete for the center columns (bent) of the new overcrossing.
- Temporary supports (falsework) will continue to be installed for the new bridge section.
- New northbound Highway 101 on-ramp at Casitas Pass Road
- Crews will stripe the new on-ramp and then move safety barriers early in the week. On mid-day Friday, Nov. 16th, the new northbound Highway 101 on-ramp will open. The new ramp has Continuously Reinforced Concrete Pavement that is a quieter roadway surface due to the lack of horizontal seams across the lanes.
Linden Avenue Overcrossing
- Crews will install wood forms and pour concrete for the side supports (abutments) for the remaining width of the new overcrossing.
- Carpinteria Creek Bridges (northbound and southbound Highway 101)
- Crews will continue work on the areas connecting the new bridges. Work continues on the bridge safety barriers.
- Carpinteria Creek
- Crews will finish up work for this year in Carpinteria Creek under the new Highway 101 bridges. Willow trees are are being planted and new drainage improvements are being installed.
- Old concrete found in the creek is being removed.
- Concrete is being poured for the updated bikeway along the creek that connects to Via Real and Carpinteria Avenue.
- New drainage improvements are being installed at Carpinteria Creek, Via Real, Casitas Pass Road, and near the new northbound on-ramp at Casitas Pass Road.
- Northbound Highway 101 sound wall between Linden Avenue and Franklin Creek (behind Nipomo Drive)
- Crews will begin drilling and installing the underground supports (piles) for the new wall.
- Via Real will be closed from Casitas Pass Road to the old northbound Highway 101 on-ramp. Drivers can use the new northbound Highway 101 on-ramp at Casitas Pass to access the freeway. Local residents can still access Hales Lane.
- Crews will install wood forms and pour concrete for the retaining wall along Via Real between Casitas Pass Road and Hales Lane.
Upcoming Work: fall/winter
- The Highway 101 southbound off-ramp at Casitas Pass Road will close for up to 1 month. Detour maps can be viewed at SBROADS.com.
About the Hwy 101: Linden and Casitas Pass Project
The Hwy 101: Linden & Casitas Pass project will improve local circulation and freeway access in Carpinteria. The highway interchanges at Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road will be updated with new bridges and freeway ramps. Via Real will be connected across Carpinteria Creek through a new roundabout up to Linden Avenue. New bridges will be built over Carpinteria Creek on Hwy 101 and Via Real, and four new sound walls will be built to reduce freeway noise in nearby neighborhoods. Bike and pedestrian improvements will be added along Via Real, connected along Carpinteria Creek, and on the Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road overcrossings.
Construction began in fall 2016 and will run through 2019 based on an accelerated schedule. The accelerated schedule is dependent on weather and utility relocations and moves the completion date from the end of 2020 to 2019.
Highway 101 will have 2 lanes open in each direction and local roads will remain open during daytime construction. There will be nighttime closures as needed. New roads, bridges, ramps, and bikeways open in 2017, 2018, and 2019.
This project is the third phase of widening Highway 101 between Santa Barbara and Mussel Shoals. Eight of the 16 miles in this area have already been widened to include three lanes in each direction.
The Highway 101: Linden and Casitas Pass Project is a $60 million construction project funded by state and federal taxes. This project is a partnership between Caltrans, the Santa Barbara County Association of Governments, and the City of Carpinteria.