Linden and Casitas Pass Project Update
Source: SB Roads
Linden Avenue Overcrossing
- Crews will work on the median bridge supports (center bents) for the new overcrossing section. This will include wood form work and concrete pours.
- Work continues on the side supports (abutments) for the remaining width of the new overcrossing.
- Near Linden Avenue and Ogan Road, the Gas Company is relocating a gas line to accommodate improved freeway drainage facilities.
Casitas Pass Road Overcrossing
- Wood form work, rebar installation, and concrete pours continue for the side supports (abutments) and wing walls.
- New northbound Highway 101 on-ramp at Casitas Pass Road
- Crews will continue installing Continuously Reinforced Concrete Pavement on the new on-ramp. Continuously Reinforced Concrete Pavement is a quieter roadway surface due to the lack of horizontal seams across the lanes.
- Carpinteria Creek Bridges (northbound and southbound Highway 101)
- Crews will continue work on the approach areas for the new bridges.
- Crews will continue to grade and improve Carpinteria Creek under the new Highway 101 bridges. Willow trees are are being planted along with new drainage improvements.
- Sound wall along northbound Highway 101 between Linden Avenue and Franklin Creek (behind Nipomo Drive)
- Crews have begun excavation for the wall footings. Crews will also begin drilling and pouring concrete for underground supports (the wall piles).
- Frontier Communications will be splicing and running new communications cable on Via Real and Vallecito Road throughout the week.
Upcoming Work: fall/winter
- The Highway 101 southbound off-ramp at Casitas Pass Road will close for up to 1 month. Detour maps can be viewed at SBROADS.com.
About the Hwy 101: Linden and Casitas Pass Project
The Hwy 101: Linden & Casitas Pass project will improve local circulation and freeway access in Carpinteria. The highway interchanges at Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road will be updated with new bridges and freeway ramps. Via Real will be connected across Carpinteria Creek through a new roundabout up to Linden Avenue. New bridges will be built over Carpinteria Creek on Hwy 101 and Via Real, and four new sound walls will be built to reduce freeway noise in nearby neighborhoods. Bike and pedestrian improvements will be added along Via Real, connected along Carpinteria Creek, and on the Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road overcrossings.
Construction began in fall 2016 and will run through 2019 based on an accelerated schedule. The accelerated schedule is dependent on weather and utility relocations and moves the completion date from the end of 2020 to 2019.
Highway 101 will have 2 lanes open in each direction and local roads will remain open during daytime construction. There will be nighttime closures as needed. New roads, bridges, ramps, and bikeways open in 2017, 2018, and 2019.
This project is the third phase of widening Highway 101 between Santa Barbara and Mussel Shoals. Eight of the 16 miles in this area have already been widened to include three lanes in each direction.
The Highway 101: Linden and Casitas Pass Project is a $60 million construction project funded by state and federal taxes. This project is a partnership between Caltrans, the Santa Barbara County Association of Governments, and the City of Carpinteria.