By an edhat reader

Do edhatters know what used to be in the same place Lazy Acres is now? Was there another building in it's place, or the same building that used to be something else?

Thanks!

a-1511408990 Oct 31, 2017 01:38 PM
Lazy Acres Building History?

Funny. I remember the Kym Morgan case and not a word said referring to County Lumber. Everyone heard she was last seen standing with a man at the parking lot of Santa Cruz Market on The Mesa. He was said to have lifts in his shoes; very short man. Kym was towering over him. (I looked up the full story and, yep, CL was mentioned as the supposed meeting place----but was that where the two were last seen conversing?)

tagdes Oct 30, 2017 09:18 PM
Lazy Acres Building History?

Kym Morgan was abducted from County Lumber on the Mesa in April 1985 and her remains scattered about along East Camino Cielo. This recorded public information is easily found for any that have questions about some of the comments here.

tMo Oct 30, 2017 10:13 AM
Lazy Acres Building History?

Santa Cruz Market got the boot because the landlord had big plans for a Safeway with apartments attached. When the plans were refused, Safeway was stuck with a long lease. Not sure how they found the guys to open Lazy Acres...

a-1511408990 Oct 30, 2017 09:58 AM
Lazy Acres Building History?

There used to be a garden center there back in the day, Lenny Marquez's family owned it. Lenny is in his sixtys and is a sea urchin diver to this day...

a-1511408990 Oct 29, 2017 08:04 PM
Lazy Acres Building History?

I remember it as two buildings: Santa Cruz Market, and Fritz's garden/hardware store. They took them down and built the Lazy Acres building from scratch. I think.

Garth Oct 29, 2017 09:32 PM
Lazy Acres Building History?

Funny how I barely remember Santa Cruz Market in that location. I do remember walking on Meigs Rd to go have drinks at the Crossroads Tavern in the 1960s and continuing later into the 1970s when it became Nick's Cocktails. I clearly remember the bars, the drinks and the cocktail waitresses, but I've forgotten the grocery stores..

Ducky Oct 29, 2017 03:43 PM
Lazy Acres Building History?

I remember in the 70’s it was a home improvement store/nursery. Incidentally, wasn’t this where a young woman in the late 70’s/early 80’s met someone about an apartment and was never seen again? Other than that, I can’t remember.

tagdes Oct 29, 2017 07:53 PM
Lazy Acres Building History?

Rex, yea think you have them all pretty well covered, don't remember Sizzler starting at Woody's but went to all of them later. Happy Steak was at Turnpike (Cody's) and Bonanza was upper State (Denny's). Never forget Bonanza, ordered, waited, nada, waiter went to check, cook came out yelling obscenities, took off his hat and apron and left. Waited some more and waiter finally said we can get any that wishes drinks , but no more food this evening.

REX OF SB Oct 29, 2017 06:24 PM
Lazy Acres Building History?

DUCKY is right. I think that site started out pre-1970s as a hardware store/nursery. I want to say it was called Mesa Hardware, but I may be wrong. Then it became Santa Cruz Market, which moved to its current SB location on W. Montecito Street when the Lazy thing was started. Re: the question downthread of what was where Woody's is now, I do believe that it was our first-ever Sizzler. There were three nearby steak houses (although not all at the same time) at the Magnolia Center and Turnpike Center, and I can't remember which was which. They were Sizzler, Bonanza and Happy Steak. Sizzler was there not all that long before it just left the area for some reason. It was then several years before it came back to 5555 Hollster Ave. in Goleta.

mielemai Oct 29, 2017 03:19 PM
Lazy Acres Building History?

The spot where Lazy Acres is now used to be a Santa Cruz Market in the 80s. I don't know if they renovated the building or tore it down when they opened Lazy Acres, but I'm sure someone here can fill us in.

Kcottrell Oct 29, 2017 02:20 PM
Lazy Acres Building History?

I have the same question about Woody’s. Those etched windows are a trip

ghp3mom84 Oct 31, 2017 11:51 AM
Lazy Acres Building History?

Woody's used to be a great restaurant called Flapper Alley which is why the windows are still etched with flappers. Great memories.